The Lion King (2019) Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Reviews)

johnny

It's not just that it's a live action remake that might feel unnecessary, it's that we've already had two of these in the last few months, with more on the way. If they had spaced these out a bit more, the reception might have been a little better. 

16 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It's not just that it's a live action remake that might feel unnecessary, it's that we've already had two of these in the last few months, with more on the way. If they had spaced these out a bit more, the reception might have been a little better. 

They haven't perfected Pinocchio yet. They should do that one next!

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

It does feel odd that they’re just bombarding everyone with these instead of spacing them out. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it over the weekend and I must say I did not like it at all. The lack of emotions due to the hyper realistic look of everything really hurts the movie imo. I hated the changes they made to the story. I hated how they changed Rafiki. The songs were boring compared to the original. They took out the funny cartoony bits (they had to). The hyenas were boring. Beyonce sounds like she's trying too hard the entire time. They ruined "Can you feel the love tonight" which makes me mad. I literally only giggled at one joke the entire movie and it's what they did to replace the hula scene. Other than that, I felt nothing the entire movie. 

I had to rewatch Beaty and the Beast to make me feel better about these live action remakes. I loved that one so much. I also watched Dumbo a couple of weeks back and didn't like that one either. So far 1 for 3 in these remakes for me. I have yet to see Aladdin but now I'm nervous to.

I would suggest waiting for on demand or something and not wasting the money it costs to see this in theaters. I had REALLY high hopes for this movie. It was one of my all time favorites as a kid. I literally wore out the VHS tape from rewatching it so many times and pissed off my mom who bought me a new one so yeah I had high expectations.

It was merely ok for me.  The CGI is great, but it felt like the movie was just going through the motions.  I didn't feel any of the emotional impact of the original.  The voice acting was fine, Timon & Pumbaa and Zazu were pretty good, the rest were mostly forgettable.  Ejiofor's Scar sorta grew on me as the movie went along, but it doesn't compare to Jeremy Irons's.  Beyonce doing her runs any chance she could on the songs grated the hell out of me.    

I enjoyed the live action take on Aladdin better than this, at least that one brought a little something new.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

I watched it over the weekend and I must say I did not like it at all. The lack of emotions due to the hyper realistic look of everything really hurts the movie imo. I hated the changes they made to the story. I hated how they changed Rafiki. The songs were boring compared to the original. They took out the funny cartoony bits (they had to). The hyenas were boring. Beyonce sounds like she's trying too hard the entire time. They ruined "Can you feel the love tonight" which makes me mad. I literally only giggled at one joke the entire movie and it's what they did to replace the hula scene. Other than that, I felt nothing the entire movie. 

I had to rewatch Beaty and the Beast to make me feel better about these live action remakes. I loved that one so much. I also watched Dumbo a couple of weeks back and didn't like that one either. So far 1 for 3 in these remakes for me. I have yet to see Aladdin but now I'm nervous to.

I would suggest waiting for on demand or something and not wasting the money it costs to see this in theaters. I had REALLY high hopes for this movie. It was one of my all time favorites as a kid. I literally wore out the VHS tape from rewatching it so many times and pissed off my mom who bought me a new one so yeah I had high expectations.

There's also Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland (and its sequel), The Jungle Book, and Maleficent, if that counts. Also Christopher Robin, if that counts as well. So it's not just Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Dumbo, and The Lion King. :)

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

There's also Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland (and its sequel), The Jungle Book, and Maleficent, if that counts. Also Christopher Robin, if that counts as well. So it's not just Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Dumbo, and The Lion King. :)

Sorry I meant in terms of this recent slew of remakes in particular of the Disney movies that came out in the 90's.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Dumbo isn't a Disney animated movie that came out in the 90's though? But you mentioned it in your prior post. :)

Oy ok ok I get your point. Getting so specific. I just happened to see Dumbo too. Forget I said anything.

• Thanks 1

Suffered through this on a date. I know I'm not the target audience here and all but...this was excruciatingly boring and the music, lord. 

The only other Disney live-action flick I saw was the first Alice movie and that was fucking terrible compared to the original as well. 

My niece (age 11) says she likes this one more than the original. It's a shame that I have to disown her now. :p

She just doesn't seem to like "old style" animated movies at this point. I remember going through a similar phase around that age. Anything with CGI was instantly cooler, and this movie has all the CGI

17 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

Yeesh. I couldn't stand Beauty and the Beast. Emma Watson is great... she's just horribly miscast as Belle. 

This was... it was The Lion King. The animated film has always been lower on the Disney totem pole for me. It felt like a collection of scenes put one after the other for no other reason than that's what had to happen to get to the end of the story. 

They had a real opportunity to separate the live action from the animated version by adding a scene or two between the dissolve transition from childhood to adulthood. Instead all we got was Be Our Guest (which was the highlight of the movie). 

The voice acting was all well enough done... except for Donald Glover. I'm a fan of the actor, but it really sounded like he phoned this perform in. Some of the lines were so bad it sounded like he was reading from a page. 

What I will say, for me at least, Aladdin is far and away their best live action remake. I'd go so far as to say I enjoyed it more than the animated film. I didn't even have an issue with the casting of Jafar--a younger actor fits, as he'd have more hunger for power. 

Still haven't seen Dumbo. I just can't bring myself to care enough to see it. 

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Greatones's great, and his ability to do that and allowing us to have fun with it and @Keyser_Soze talking about how he'll talk about how he's excited for a movie because the cinematographer worked on X, Y and Z, is why.

I will definitely watch a movie for a killer cinematographer's being onboard as well

:megaton:

• Shocked 1

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

@Greatoneshere is an all-timer here, and a little good natured ribbing does us all good from time to time :) 

Oh totally! I'm too serious at times but I know what I am for sure, and do not mind people making fun of it. Those memes are gems. :p 

And all the kind words from everyone is also very flattering, I don't know how to handle such situations - thanks all. 

• Thanks 1

So I skipped to the last page and I'm kind of shocked at it's reception...

I saw this with my fam on Sunday. I really enjoyed it, Seth Rogen was a great Pumba IMO. I wish they had used "Seth" instead of "Brad", would have been a silly, stupid but funny thing to do. My biggest gripe with this movie was the stampede scene didn't work for me... it just didn't feel impactful. Also, adult Simba and Scar. I really felt Donald Glover was definitely not the right choice for this role. I love the guy so much but his voice isn't deep and strong enough to play a freaking adult lion. Also, I absolutely adore Jeremy Irons and his version of scar, so I'm super sad they went with someone else. I think someone mentioned Beyonce was bad or something? I do not like her, but I was fine with her as Nala.

Otherwise, I had fun with this movie. I'd probably give it a 7.5/10. My niece loved it though, I'm sure she'd give it a 10/10. She's 2 1/2 and sat through the whole thing amazingly and kept roaring at all of us for a good while after the movie haha

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I like @Greatoneshere  as he is the creator of threads such as this one

and his most recent work was nothing short of spectacular

But it's not just his work as a creator that makes him awesome. His collaboration in this one elevated an ordinary thread into an extraordinary thread.

I was almost hoping you had snuck some photoshopped, totally awful thread title in there.

• Haha 1