The Lion King (2019) Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Reviews)

johnny

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I never/rarely trust early reactions. 

Three only thing you should take away from early reactions like these are if the movie is a trainwreck or not. If it is, even the "positive" reactions seem to struggle to remain so.

20 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's almost like making them look like living creatures limited the cartoony things they could do. 🤔

Now I have to read people online going, "2D's always better!" as if fantastic animation can't be done in 3D. >_> <_<

On 4/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, sblfilms said:

This is one of those things where I find it utterly baffling artistically but am preparing my body to Scrooge McDuck my bank account.

3 months later and this still rings very true for me. Thanks Uncle Walt :) 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lion_king_2019

Currently at 58% with 93 reviews total. 6.28/10 avg rating.

Critics Consensus: Though it can take pride in its visual achievements, this reimagined The Lion King is a by-the-numbers retelling that lacks the energy and heart that made the original so beloved - though for some fans that may just be enough.

27 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just looking at this thumb nail makes me want to rewatch Fury Road. It's a movie where the more I think about it, the higher it gets in my ranking of action flicks. I'm not sure I could easily think of another movie that says so much with such little dialog.

So after reading that review it feels like that dude used a whole lotta words to say “I don’t like that it’s a realistic take” His criticisms are entirely based on the idea that he’s disappointed the film doesn’t do things it never could have ever done. A realistic take could never have been a vibrant as the animated original and he never gets over it. 

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

While I really enjoy Ehrlich's videos, I find he's a reviewer that I frequently disagree with. That said, I expect to agree with him on this one. 

He's definitely an oddball, but even when you disagree with him (as I have sometimes) you know he knows what he's talking about at least I always felt. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

Just looking at this thumb nail makes me want to rewatch Fury Road. It's a movie where the more I think about it, the higher it gets in my ranking of action flicks. I'm not sure I could easily think of another movie that says so much with such little dialog.

Totally agreed - and check out the videos if you have a chance - they're quite good!

The more I'm hearing the more I'm thinking I'll wait for this on demand or something.

Funny enough, I met Billy Eichnor this past week over 4th of July in a pizza shop in Provincetown. It was 1am and he was either high AF or drunk AF but he was like 3 feet away from me and I said hi and introduced myself and said I was a fan of his show. He introduced himself and said thanks. That was that. lol

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

I like the different take on it. 

It actually wasn't what I was expecting from some people who hated that it wasn't a musical number. Scar sounded like he was about to have a breakdown in this, which was actually kind of cool.

30 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

He still pales in comparison to Irons. Didn’t even get close. Not by a light year. 

The guy doing Timon is also leagues behind Nathan Lane. Seth Rohan does good as Pumbaa though, from what I’ve heard so far of the film

Yet some people said Chiwetel Ejiofor was great.  Idk, I find it easy to divorce the voice actors from each movie. The one criticism I’ve heard about the voice acting from multiple people is Beyoncé. Not that she’s bad, but that her voice is so distinct that you think of Nala as Beyoncé and not Nala. 

5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

So after reading that review it feels like that dude used a whole lotta words to say “I don’t like that it’s a realistic take” His criticisms are entirely based on the idea that he’s disappointed the film doesn’t do things it never could have ever done. A realistic take could never have been a vibrant as the animated original and he never gets over it. 

It takes a lot of words to make a point.

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

He still pales in comparison to Irons. Didn’t even get close. Not by a light year. 

Also gotta remember that he didn’t do most of the singing in that too. He hurt his vocals and Winnie The Pooh himself, Jim Cummings actually did most of Be Prepared. Overall, I kind of liked their new take as well.

I'm really amazed by how polarized the reviews have been so far. A not insignificant chunk of the positive reviews are giving it near perfect scores. The others are talking uncanny valley, creatively bankrupt.

It's not uniform, but some people really love it. Some were just turned the hell off by the whole thing.

6.29/10 avg rating isn't all that bad when you really look at it. Usually movies in 57% range usually have lower average scores. Aladdin has a 5.89 and SLOP 2 has a 5.72 with similar RT percentages.

Edit: Tomatometer is up to 60% and 6.49/10

19 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm really amazed by how polarized the reviews have been so far. A not insignificant chunk of the positive reviews are giving it near perfect scores. The others are talking uncanny valley, creatively bankrupt.

It's not uniform, but some people really love it. Some were just turned the hell off by the whole thing.

There are so many people who are turned off at the idea of these live action remakes and more people are mad that this film is being called live action. That’s why I can’t take that review by Ehrlich seriously. Read his review and look at some of his tweets. He’s clearly one of those people. I don’t think his whole review is garbage and I’m sure there will be a couple things he pointed out that I’ll agree with but critics are like Supreme Court justices. Some think they might be impartial but in reality they all have their biases.