Turkey isn’t even good

johnny

20 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The turkey I had at my friends' place was undercooked and no, I'm not judging it by my usual standards, the white meat of the damned thing was really, really pink. 

I forced myself to eat it to be polite and the leftovers they gave me to take home went straight into Inuk's dog bowl.

Damn that sucks... they probably were rushed and didn't give the turkey enough time to cook. I ate at my lady's house and her mother made the turkey cuban style. I brought mac and cheese and Ox tails.

And a properly cooked turkey doesn't need gravy. It will be moist enough on it's own. Gravy should be a compliment, not a necessity.  The scret to a moist turkey is to baste it in its own juices every 20 minutes during cooking ;)

24 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Damn that sucks... they probably were rushed and didn't give the turkey enough time to cook. I ate at my lady's house and her mother made the turkey cuban style. I brought mac and cheese and Ox tails.

And a properly cooked turkey doesn't need gravy. It will be moist enough on it's own. Gravy should be a compliment, not a necessity.  The scret to a moist turkey is to baste it in its own juices every 20 minutes during cooking ;)

I want to try ox tails!

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

The turkey I had at my friends' place was undercooked and no, I'm not judging it by my usual standards, the white meat of the damned thing was really, really pink. 

I forced myself to eat it to be polite and the leftovers they gave me to take home went straight into Inuk's dog bowl.

It'd have probably at least been properly cooked after sticking it in the microwave.

• Thanks 1

We had a full brisket, three smoked turkeys, and a glazed ham for our main dishes. My house is where all the people who don’t have family in town go for Thanksgiving. I think we had 50 adults plus a gaggle of kids. All the meats came from the BBQ joint around the corner which is notable for being on Texas Monthly’s top 50 BBQ list.

But my favorite things are always the fresh rolls my wife bakes, and her stuffing is a delight.

My sister in law brought a vegan shepherd’s pie and it was serviceable.