Halo (Paramount+, March 24) - series renewed for second season, will show Master Chief's face

Showtime has placed a 10 episode order for a Halo TV series from Awake creator Kyle Killen and Rise of the Planet of the Apes director Rupert Wyatt. For now we don't know much more than that. 

I'm very surprised that this is happening. I feel like Halo has lost some of it's cultural relevance, and this is likely to be an expensive show. Still, there' s absolutely potential there, and I'll be excited to see how it turns out.

This could be interesting. While I agree that Halo isn't as culturally relevant as it once was, I feel like most are less burned out on it.  Halo (IMHO) hasn't reached beating a dead horse phase as other gaming ip's have. Call of Duty, Destiny, Ass Creed, etc etc.

Time will tell but with a decent budget, this could be fun. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Because interest in the franchise has probably never been lower than it is right now?

That doesn't matter... it's still a strong brand with a dedicated fan base and that's what show runners and networks are looking for. How many copies has the Halo series sold at this point? How much money has that franchise generated? I'd wager that it's probably more than the Song of Fire and Ice books generated when HBO approved that for a series. Same with The Walking Dead and AMC. Showtime doesn't really have a big event series and that's what they're looking for. I guarantee you that's why they greenlit this. I'd be curious to see what the budget is on this because THAT will determine how serious they are about it. They creative team behind it says to me that they are pretty damn serious about it.

That's a hell of a showrunner/writer in Kyle Killen. Awake was incredibly good (never saw the other two shows he created, Lone Star or Mind Games). He also wrote the films The Beaver and Scenic Route, for what that's worth. Rupert Wyatt as pilot director is pretty great too (The Escapist, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Gambler). I'm tired of Halo games and that convoluted backstory/mythology it's created since Halo 4, but this has a lot of potential. I'm intrigued. 

The reason for the diminished interest in Halo is because the past few main games in the series have been mediocre.  If (big if) the next game is awesome then everyone would come back.  The story behind Halo is still well suited for a TV series as long as they leave out the crap from the most recent games.  It will need a budget to pull off the effects tho.  If this was on HBO I would be more excited.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, number305 said:

The reason for the diminished interest in Halo is because the past few main games in the series have been mediocre.  If (big if) the next game is awesome then everyone would come back.  The story behind Halo is still well suited for a TV series as long as they leave out the crap from the most recent games.  It will need a budget to pull off the effects tho.  If this was on HBO I would be more excited.

Showtime has the money to pull this off... HBO is kinda floundering right now, desperate for their next big must watch show after Game of Thrones ends. Westworld COULD  be that but that show is too dense for general audiences. Showtime wants they're own big budget must watch show. I'm confident they have the resources to pull it off. Whether they execute or not is a different story.

14 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's a hell of a showrunner/writer in Kyle Killen. Awake was incredibly good (never saw the other two shows he created, Lone Star or Mind Games). He also wrote the films The Beaver and Scenic Route, for what that's worth. Rupert Wyatt as pilot director is pretty great too (The Escapist, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Gambler). I'm tired of Halo games and that convoluted backstory/mythology it's created since Halo 4, but this has a lot of potential. I'm intrigued. 

I'm sure they will, but the show really needs to focus on the pre Halo CE era starting out IMO. Fall of Reach and all that. And while I don't want them to remake the games in show form it would be a travesty not to touch on the story in the first three games of the trilogy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm sure they will, but the show really needs to focus on the pre Halo CE era starting out IMO. Fall of Reach and all that. And while I don't want them to remake the games in show form it would be a travesty not to touch on the story in the first three games of the trilogy.

I am in agreement with all of that. 

7 minutes ago, Wild said:

Or, ok, make jokes. That too.

I think nobody has a true opinion because who he is under the helmet really doesn't matter. That armor and his relationship with Cortana are his character and persona. I legit try to think of whose face I want to see when the helmet is taken off and I draw a blank.

What kind of show would you guys like to see this from this series?

The obvious route is to make it about MC and his squad. Keep it tightly focused on them and make it a 'team on a mission' kind of thing. Like if you made an episode of Stargate into a whole series. I think there's potential there but I'm not thrilled with the idea.

If they wanted to, they could make this an expanse like show, alternating between the Earth politics of meeting alien life, a ship commander, and the front line soldiers. If you wanted to really get into the Covenant you could almost go kinda Game of Thrones with all their machinations, but I think that's probably a bridge too far.

They could do a Voyager/BSG style show about a capital ship that ends up far from home. I think that could make for a flexible premise where they need to solve some big mystery, and there are enough characters and considerations that it's not all about space soldiers shooting stuff.

I'd love to see a show about Spartans. From when they're brought in as children, and the progression through to fighting the Covenant. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-read The Fall of Reach. This is one of the few, very few, times I'd actually be ok with prequel material.

3 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

I'd love to see a show about Spartans. From when they're brought in as children, and the progression through to fighting the Covenant. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-read The Fall of Reach. This is one of the few, very few, times I'd actually be ok with prequel material.

That sounds good!

18 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

This. It's hard to believe such an incredible sci-fi novel is a prequel to a video game. I was so disappointed in the half-assed animated adaption of it that MS made when Halo 5 released. Blech.

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

What kind of show would you guys like to see this from this series?

The obvious route is to make it about MC and his squad. Keep it tightly focused on them and make it a 'team on a mission' kind of thing. Like if you made an episode of Stargate into a whole series. I think there's potential there but I'm not thrilled with the idea.

If they wanted to, they could make this an expanse like show, alternating between the Earth politics of meeting alien life, a ship commander, and the front line soldiers. If you wanted to really get into the Covenant you could almost go kinda Game of Thrones with all their machinations, but I think that's probably a bridge too far.

They could do a Voyager/BSG style show about a capital ship that ends up far from home. I think that could make for a flexible premise where they need to solve some big mystery, and there are enough characters and considerations that it's not all about space soldiers shooting stuff.

Band of brothers ODST style. MC/Blue team with some cameo appearances like in Landfall where the whole mission is about the MC, but you don't really see him.

8 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

This. It's hard to believe such an incredible sci-fi novel is a prequel to a video game. I was so disappointed in the half-assed animated adaption of it that MS made when Halo 5 released. Blech.

I sadly never could get into Nylund's writing when I was younger. Maybe I should try to read it again.

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

Band of brothers ODST style. MC/Blue team with some cameo appearances like in Landfall where the whole mission is about the MC, but you don't really see him.

I sadly never could get into Nylund's writing when I was younger. Maybe I should try to read it again.

I doubt you'll think it's any better now that you have more years and wisdom. But, writing style be damned it has some fantastic battle sequences, political machinations, and moral questions that are debated which are all hallmarks of great space opera.

• 1 month later...