Brick needs to upgrade, please help!

Brick

Six years ago you guys helped me build my first proper gaming PC, and now the time has finally come for me to upgrade my components, so once I again I kindly ask for your help since this will be my first upgrade!

I'm guessing it should be pretty simple, at least in terms of swapping out the parts (take old part out, put new part in) but what exactly will I need to replace with better parts? Obviously I need a new GPU and CPU, and the 2080Ti is what I have my heart set on, plus whatever the best Intel chip is out right now to go along with it, but what else? I have 16GB of RAM, so I don't think I'll need new RAM, but what about a new motherboard? Will I need to order a new one? How about PSU? Is there a calculator out there that can help me figure out what my wattage use is now, and what it will be with my new parts so I can determine if I'll need a new one? My current one is 750 watts, so I have no idea if that'll be enough.

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday upon us, and us Canadians taking advantage of your holiday sales I think this would be a perfect time to look for any deals on components, and would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance friends!

Will need to know:

A) What cpu you currently have to see if a more modern cpu would work on your motherboard. My guess is you’ll need a new one.

B) What type of ram? If it’s not ddr4 you’ll probably need new ram too

750w should be enough but if you are getting a 2080ti need to know what type and keep in mind 2080ti needs two 8pin connectors if you don’t currently have that.

31 minutes ago, stepee said:

Will need to know:

A) What cpu you currently have to see if a more modern cpu would work on your motherboard. My guess is you’ll need a new one.

B) What type of ram? If it’s not ddr4 you’ll probably need new ram too

750w should be enough but if you are getting a 2080ti need to know what type and keep in mind 2080ti needs two 8pin connectors if you don’t currently have that.

A) A 3770K i7

B) It's DDR3

What do you mean two 8pin connectors?

Mobo of your choice

16gb or 32 gb of DDR4

25 minutes ago, Brick said:

What do you mean two 8pin connectors?

Your power supply needs to have to 8 pin connectors

6 hours ago, Brick said:

ave 16GB of RAM, so I don't think I'll need new RAM

You want new RAM, your running old gen

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

Mobo of your choice

16gb or 32 gb of DDR4

Your power supply needs to have to 8 pin connectors

You want new RAM, your running old gen

Guess I'll get new RAM then. Is DDR5 worth it though?

Not sure about the pin connectors on my PSU. I'll have to check.

6 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Newer GPU's use it as well, its fine for graphical use but not so much for CPU use.No current MOBO supports it.

I see. 

Looking at the Intel site, they have i9s and X series. What exactly are the differences in those compared to the i7 series? I'm guessing they're not worth it for gaming, although the X ones do say for VR, but I don't have any VR equipment anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

I see. 

Looking at the Intel site, they have i9s and X series. What exactly are the differences in those compared to the i7 series? I'm guessing they're not worth it for gaming, although the X ones do say for VR, but I don't have any VR equipment anyway. 

Correct they are not worth the price to be used as gaming CPU, they also tend to worse when it comes to gaming.

47 minutes ago, stepee said:

For pin cables, you are looking at what is plugging into your current gpu to power it, each little slot is a pin, you probably are using 6 or 8 or something, check if there is a similar cable in your case and if both have 8, then you don’t need to do anything.

Yup I checked and my current GPU (a Gigabyte 670) uses a six pin AND an eight pin cable. The cables on my PSU are six pin with an additional two pins if needed. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Yup I checked and my current GPU (a Gigabyte 670) uses a six pin AND an eight pin cable. The cables on my PSU are six pin with an additional two pins if needed. 

I am sure some will disagree with me but if your gonna drop $1500 on PC equipment I would buy a new power supply unless you recently purchased it. Old Caps get worse over time,filtering get worse,they also are less efficient and can run hotter. General rule of thumb for me is manufacturer warranty -1 year on power supplies.

51 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I am sure some will disagree with me but if your gonna drop $1500 on PC equipment I would buy a new power supply unless you recently purchased it. Old Caps get worse over time,filtering get worse,they also are less efficient and can run hotter. General rule of thumb for me is manufacturer warranty -1 year on power supplies.

I mean if I can get a good deal on a new one then maybe. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Take it from me, someone who did an upgrade then had their power supply die, you're gonna want a new one. :p

Yeah all right, I'll guess I'll get a new one.

I don't see any deals at the moment for anything though. I'd rather buy my stuff when it's on sale!

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Yeah all right, I'll guess I'll get a new one.

I don't see any deals at the moment for anything though. I'd rather buy my stuff when it's on sale!

I think we all would but unfortunately you'll have to come to terms with not everything (or not everything good) goes on sale. :p

Not sure about Canada but here's a deal on a 850w Modular Corsair power supply. On sale for 149 and a $20 rebate bumps it down to 129

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139083

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think we all would but unfortunately you'll have to come to terms with not everything (or not everything good) goes on sale. :p

Not sure about Canada but here's a deal on a 850w Modular Corsair power supply. On sale for 149 and a $20 rebate bumps it down to 129

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139083

Well I know some things won't be on sale haha.

Found this PSU. Don't know if it's any good.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438092

I can vouch for EVGA PSUs. Most of them are rebranded Seasonics which are top-shelf. I have three in use right now. One (1000w) is mining ethereum. The other two (850 and 550) are in gaming PCs. All are modular. All gold. Two are G2, one is G3. They are quiet, modular, have a nice build to them, good warranty (5 or 7 years usually), and reviews are all great.

I did quite a bit of research 4-5 years ago when building because PCP&C didn't seem to exist anymore :(

2 hours ago, kevwil said:

I can vouch for EVGA PSUs. Most of them are rebranded Seasonics which are top-shelf. I have three in use right now. One (1000w) is mining ethereum. The other two (850 and 550) are in gaming PCs. All are modular. All gold. Two are G2, one is G3. They are quiet, modular, have a nice build to them, good warranty (5 or 7 years usually), and reviews are all great.

I did quite a bit of research 4-5 years ago when building because PCP&C didn't seem to exist anymore :(

OCZ bought PCP&C about 11 years ago.

30 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

OCZ bought PCP&C about 11 years ago.

I know but where are they now? Toshiba bought OCZ and that may have been the end of that story as part of restructuring.

OCZ PSUs were overall a mixed bag and I don't think most ended up matching PCP&C quality.