Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey Trailer and Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 10:33 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Written by Cristina Hodson (Shut In, Unforgettable, Bumblebee) and directed by Cathy Yan (Dead Pigs) with an ostentatious film title. I have no idea if this will be good or not. Shut In and Unforgettable are trash but Bumblebee and Dead Pigs are great so I don't know.

Anything good about Bumblebee sure didn't happen in the writing phase. That movie's plot is a hot mess express of epic proportions.

This looks like it could be fun. No idea if it will be GOOD. 

19 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Yikes... The actual Birds of Prey are being downplayed so Margot Robbie can chew scenery as a ditz who does nothing but change outfits?

Hopefully there's a better trailer in the works to change perceptions.

Hoping it’s just marketing and the birds of prey don’t get kicked to the curb. People love Harley Quinn so I think they want to lead with their queen on the chess board. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s flopping pretty good. I have heard good things from the few people who’ve bothered to watch it though.

I think trailers and marketing really hurt this movie. I don’t think it ever would have been a smash hit but I think it could have done well on opening weekend with better marketing. 

6 minutes ago, johnny said:

I think trailers and marketing really hurt this movie. I don’t think it ever would have been a smash hit but I think it could have done well on opening weekend with better marketing. 

Indeed, I thought the trailer sucked, but I still went and saw it. While not great it was still entertaining and at the very least it had a more coherent story than Suicide Squad. 

I saw it tonight with my girlfriend, and we both really enjoyed it. I didn't even know it was rated R, but it definitely earns it! Hyper violent, chaotic, and a lot of fun. The storytelling and editing are hectic, and kind of all over the place going back and forth between events, but it works since Harley is telling the story, so its frantic style matches her frayed mind. 

All the actors are great too, the fight choreography is well done and shot (not overly cut, and framed too close where you can't tell what's going on). DC is definitely getting better at their DCEU movies after WW, Aquaman, Shazam!, and now this. 

Yeah, go see it guys. 

Harley Quinn is certainly colorful and peppy, but her movie is almost bizarrely bland. While not offensively bad in the way some of the other DC films have been, Birds of Prey does little worthy of note. Each of the characters, Harley Quinn included, are one note, disposable, and generally unexplored. Ewan McGregor's villain is similarly nothing and no one. There are momentary flashes of something worthwhile, a couple nifty fight sequences, and an early chase that leans well into the cartoon lunacy that Quinn is best suited for. Unfortunately after that it seems the movie settles down into a boring and predictable path, and never really finds a new take on a well worn story.

• Thanks 1