The Mariners

thewhyteboar

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F0813%2Fr895092_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

The Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed on a one-year, $8.5 million contract with free-agent left-hander Andrew Heaney, a source told ESPN's Jeff Passan, confirming a...

@rc0101 good luck with that bum. First time I can remember we traded for a guy mid season and he got demoted before the playoffs. 

53 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F1109%2Fr935148_2
WWW.ESPN.COM

Scott Boras, one of baseball's most influential agents, said the Atlanta Braves' World Series title was a direct result of tanking around Major League Baseball.

Boras throwing shade at Atlanta. #sayingwhatweallbethinking

Comedy Central GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

Tanking is only half the battle. Or maybe a quarter of the battle. You still have to draft well, and then do the player development, oh and you also have to manage free agent signings and mid season acquisitions.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Remember when Padres drafted Matt Bush 1st overall? Didn't even play a Major League game until 12 years after he was drafted, on the Rangers! Tanking for draft picks in the MLB is not as effective in the MLB as it is other sports where most draft picks see an immediate impact (NBA or NFL or even NHL)

Doesn’t help either that after drafting these players, MLB throws them into poverty where they need to work part time jobs to pay for rent. 

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Tanking is only half the battle. Or maybe a quarter of the battle. You still have to draft well, and then do the player development, oh and you also have to manage free agent signings and mid season acquisitions.

The Angels drafted 20 pitchers in the last draft. You are basically screaming, “we have no clue how to evaluate talent”.  How are you gonna get all 19 (didn’t sign all 20) enough innings to develop them as the minors shrink? Not surprising the Angels are always mediocre. 

It should be noted that Boras’ viewpoint here is also self serving. He wants a salary floor for teams because that raises the average salary, which raises his own commissions.

19 hours ago, Littleronin said:

That is a worthy signing. 

A GREAT get. Strom is such a perfect balance of the old and new. He is really brilliant at pitch design. Glad he can stay is baseball and be close to home as he lives in Arizona.

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

A GREAT get. Strom is such a perfect balance of the old and new. He is really brilliant at pitch design. Glad he can stay is baseball and be close to home as he lives in Arizona.

It really is. As bad as Mike Butcher was as pitching coach I never thought it could get worse with Herges. Strom has a bit of bad learning to undo but if anyone can get things righted I believe they found the right man for the job. 

On 11/6/2021 at 2:52 PM, sblfilms said:

As expected, Astros aren’t going for more than 5-6 year contracts no matter what. Correa will get a 8-10 year deal somewhere. I think he’s also going to want to beat Lindor on the per year figure of ~36 million.

do these massive contracts ever really pay off? i feel like it is always a mistake bringing in a guy with an 8-10 year contract. 

3 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F1115%2Fr937935_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

Julio Lugo, who played for seven teams in a 12-year major league career, has died. He was 45.

He died young. Very sad. 

Randy Arozarena winning RoY is silly. 

Lugo was drafted by and played for the Astros back in the day. I think he was cut after a domestic violence arrest early in his MLB career with the Astros.

On the ROY, it amused me that two of the finalists played in the 2020 and 2021 playoffs (Randy, and Luis Garcia). The dopey service time system that teams abuse will lead to many more of these scenarios over time.

1 minute ago, johnny said:

do these massive contracts ever really pay off? i feel like it is always a mistake bringing in a guy with an 8-10 year contract. 

The answer is…no-ish? The back end of the deals are always brutal for clubs, but it is a little different in the case of Correa as he is 27. Most others have been getting these deals at 30, and man is there a big difference in the back half of a 10 year deal when talking ages 36-40 vs 33-37.

If Correa would do 8 years, I think the team who lands him is probably going to be largely happy with the end result.

48 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The answer is…no-ish? The back end of the deals are always brutal for clubs, but it is a little different in the case of Correa as he is 27. Most others have been getting these deals at 30, and man is there a big difference in the back half of a 10 year deal when talking ages 36-40 vs 33-37.

If Correa would do 8 years, I think the team who lands him is probably going to be largely happy with the end result.

how many teams give out these deals and then are serious title contenders for the first half of the contract though? i feel like i never hear from most of those guys again lol. 

@silentbob Jays are here to compete for the next five years. I think if one were to make a wager of a team that will win the World Series in the next 5 years, Jays would be a great value option. They are just going to get better and better during this window.

@sblfilmsIf we can somehow retain a good portion of our guys going forward and can pick up 1 or 2 more good pitchers. I have no doubt we could win a World Series again. Hell, I might even freeze my ass off for a parade if that were to happen. Plus we will have a permanent home field to play on next year, and we saw how well they did when they got back up North.

Passan makes some good points here and I generally would like to see a roster cap on pitchers and a mechanism to stop teams from bouncing guys between the MLB roster and the MiLB roster to facilitate all these 7-10 pitcher games.

Hopefully JV continues to be the pre TJ injury guy here in Houston. This is a great signing with the Astros still having a ton of young bucks who could use the wisdom and leadership of a Verlander as they continue to grow.

Now I just need a Trevor Story signing

I would like this. Marte has been super consistent in his career thus far. I think this also suggests that Click sees Jeremy Peña as really close to big league ready at the SS position if they are looking CF instead of at all these SS out here this winter.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I would like this. Marte has been super consistent in his career thus far. I think this also suggests that Click sees Jeremy Peña as really close to big league ready at the SS position if they are looking CF instead of at all these SS out here this winter.

Glad JV stayed with your guys. Apparently the Jays were looking to land him as well, but I’m sort of happy we didn’t. I know he’s a great pitcher but the Tommy John surgery, $25m for a single season and he’s 38 in baseball years. I know the Jays need pitching but I think we can do just as well at a cheaper price to help put money towards keeping our Cy Young Robbie Ray and Marcus Semien in Toronto.