The Mariners

thewhyteboar

39 minutes ago, Iculus said:

running inside the base path?

There is no basepath by rule until a tag is being attempted, then it is just the straight line from where the base runner is to the base.

In this case the issue is runner interference on a throw, which is called no matter where the runner is if they were deemed to intentionally have interfered with the throw.

Grandal ran from the left gander’s batter’s box, which would naturally leave him to the outside of the baseline, directly towards Gurriel for a reason that can legitimately only be to interfere with the throw home. It is about as intentional as it gets and the umpire missed it. Since it is a judgement call ruling, it isn’t reviewable. The result of the play should have been Grandal out, dead ball, base runners return to their original base.

That being said, if the Astros lose this game it wasn’t this mistake by the umpire, it was Dusty Baker being a terrible big game manager. He had Javier up and ready to go when the game was 5-3, and went to Yimi Garcia instead who immediately gave up a 3 run bomb. Then left Yimi in to start the next inning and still didn’t go to Javier.

When he finally does bring in Javier, guy goes out and pitches two shutout innings. What a bozo.

A good set of pics to see just how far Grandal ran from where he was at the point of Gurriel moving forward to field it to the point where Gurriel throws it. Gurriel basically doesn’t Move laterally but Grandal runs directly between Gurriel and Maldonado. It is so obviously intentional I can’t believe the other officials didn’t help fix the call.

Astros/White Sox game 4 postponed. Astros are skipping Urquidy and throwing McCullers in game 4. I don’t like this. Urquidy can hang with this lineup, and you now won’t have LMJ available until game 3 of the CS if the Astros advance while you would still have him in your back pocket for game 5 in Houston if they lose tomorrow.

I really do not like having to rely on Dusty Baker to make tactical decisions. 

As per usual, the stats don’t lie. Even when they were using electronic sign stealing, it had no measurable effect on how good this team always is at plate discipline…because they just go 100% for people who don’t strike out often. It has been a core philosophy of the org since 2013 to move away from pure power to high contact batters.

Hence the more recent shift amongst the baseball media to the “it’s even worse that they cheated since they obviously didn’t have to” 😂

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F0910%2Fr906919_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

While the situation is fluid, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner seems inclined to keep manager Aaron Boone, industry sources told ESPN's Buster Olney.

Wow. Outside of Judge, the “young” core he inherited have all regressed.  Bright spots that happen during seasons like Luis Gil is snuffed out by terrible decisions. He has no feel for bullpen decisions.  Yet somehow this article making it sound like Boone will be a hot candidate if he hits the market. Let him. 

Why do you let Rodon pitch to Correa when he’s completely lost location and his FB is off 2-3mph suggesting fatigue has set in?

I mean, I’m happy about it, but head scratcher.

7 minutes ago, Iculus said:

I understand starting Morton on short rest, but I don't like it.

I have full confidence in CFM, even on short rest, but I think the Braves are playing better than the Brewers and I would rather have Morton ready to go at the beginning of the CS.

Same thing I felt about the Astros going to McCullers in game 4. Didn’t need him to beat the White Sox, better to have him for Friday at Minute Maid against the Red Sox.

It is true, this is the point where it went south for “80 wins in any other division”-Sox. Booing the guy who didn’t even use the system is dumb enough, but cheering him getting HBP is a recipe for some bad karma! Glad to see Altuve drop the hammer in the 9th.