The Mariners

thewhyteboar

Pretty accurate. I used to hate Roberts but after this year, and I know it's not in with analytics to say this anymore but this team just chokes, and consistently finds new and interesting ways to choke. Kershaw started choking before Roberts got here, and Roberts did what he could to avoid using Kershaw, to make sure he only started once this series instead of trying to start him as many times as possible and then send him to the bullpen too after he tried to turn Kerhsaw into Madbum for a couple years after his 2014 run. So he at least gave up on the Kershaw miracle playoff run this year. 

They never moved on from Jansen being a closer after him clearly being broken by the Astros. But you can't fault Roberts for AF never finding him a replacement. This year, it isn't just Kershaw and Jansen to let us down, and Roberts showed he finally learned his lesson not to lean on those guys. Bellinger completely disappears in October and never really was there this year to begin with, but he's been batting like 6th so Roberts know that too. The $365 million dollar man has barely showed up this series. Graterol was on a good run until last night. It's now more than the usual suspects that are choking. And we've been doing that since before Roberts got here. Matt fucking Stairs broke Broxton back in 2008.

Maybe the problem is Friedman, because Roberts seemed better this year, and I don't know how you fire a black manager with a career .600+ winning percentage. Plus, remember they originally wanted Gabe Kapler..... Sure Friedman has put together great teams but we haven't had a reliable closer in 3 years and no real #2 starter, incredibly important since we know Kershaw can't be counted on in October. Playoffs have taught me that a stars and scrubs pitching staff can work over depth, because you want to give the bulk of your playoff innings to your elite guys and then let the other guys rise up for the rest. The Braves are doing this. The Nationals Did it last year. You don't want to be relying on Dylan fucking Floro pitching 7th/8th inning for you in the playoffs. 

I do agree that Friedman has culpability here. They needed pitching help, and he goes out and adds another big time position player because it’s the splashy move.

I’m curious what the Astros are going to do this off season. I feel strongly they don’t need to spend big on any starting arms, find value guys to create bullpen depth. I want them to pay Springer and keep this core of Correa/Altuve/Bregman/Springer together another 3-4 years with guys like Tucker already making himself an everyday player an Toro/Straw/Mayfield looking to make a jump next year. The farm system is in rough shape after the tank and win gamble created this run, so they also need to do most of the hole filling with acquisitions.

Crane has made so much money in the last 5 seasons that he should be willing to pony up the $$$ for a major signing. 

27 minutes ago, Joe said:

Hey, the Dodgers ain't out!

Can they win? Sure. But they aren’t losing these games in ways that are easy to correct, unlike the Astros who lost two games directly on throwing errors by a flipping gold glove winning second baseman 😬 Will certainly be interesting to see the demeanor of the team when they take the field tonight. Have to play with confidence AND urgency. They haven’t won boat loads of games on accident, they are better than they are playing right now!

I wish having the best record in the regular season actually meant something, like in La Liga and I assume other soccer leagues. The Dodgers have an absolutely amazing team this year, regardless of how they end up performing in a handful of games in the postseason.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The amount of confidence Astros fans have for a sub .500 team that lost the first 3 games in a series is beyond comprehension. The koolaid in Texas is something else. 

New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

It was a 60 game season 😂 The only thing I don’t have confidence in is all these rookie arms, but I’m quite thankful for them getting MLB playoff experience when they otherwise would have still been in the minors all year.

What I do have confidence in is this lineup that has won 100+ games three years in a row (prior to the short season) and been to four straight ALCS’

And the Rays aren’t even good 👀 The Astros should have already beat them, but hurt themselves on easy defensive outs.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I wish having the best record in the regular season actually meant something, like in La Liga and I assume other soccer leagues. The Dodgers have an absolutely amazing team this year, regardless of how they end up performing in a handful of games in the postseason.

Tournaments are fun because it is rarely about who is the best team in a broad sense. The Nationals were not better than the Dodgers or Astros last year, but they put together the right plays at the right time to win. That’s exciting as a fan of the sport even though it meant my favorite team came up 7 outs short of the title. It’s honestly a bit boring when the best team just rolls through. 

Why pull Snell? He hadn’t even given up a run. Managers have been quicker than ever to pull a guy with the bigger bullpen. And they seem sooooo terrified that the starter will let the game get away from them. Snell is a good pitcher. Don’t get the short leash at all. 

Analytics is destroying baseball. That bullshit game 2 yanks did. Now Cash pulling the Ace after giving up no runs. Snell is furious. Cash should be fired before the game ends.