The Mariners

thewhyteboar

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I just wonder who will ultimately sign him. Not many teams can afford what he’s wanting. 

That's the question, right? How much does a top-10 position player in their 20s in the MLB get? They definitely earn long term contracts, so Betts should be getting ten years, at a minimum. Betts is also better than a few folks already making $30m/yr. Also, from his perspective, if his current team was willing to give him $30m/yr, there has to be someone else out there willing to do $31m or $32m, or maybe even just $30m but for more than ten years. Once you get to $32m, you're talking Manny Machado money, and that doesn't sound ridiculous.

There are a few teams that can afford him, but I also consider the Red Sox were one of them, so who knows. He could also get an offer from any one of the teams that doesn't usually carry much of a salary and is just looking for a player that can sell gear.

Braves? They got their young guys locked up on cheap contracts, their ownership seems pretty cheap though. 

Dodgers? Have the money and no large contracts but eventually will have to sign their young guys to big money. 

Red Sox? Tax has been reset so they can spend again. 

Mets? Probably depends if the new owner sale goes though, sounds like it fell through. 

Texans? I’m not sure their salary position but they have the new stadium so might want a top guy to fill it. 

those are the teams that come to mind. Sure I’m forgetting someone. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Teams always get more for pitchers than position players, especially in comparison to outfielders.

We are talking about a guy who is a year removed from having the 21st best season EVER by WAR. Insanity. Now if they go on to sign him next year, everything changes.

Chaim Bloom is a genius though, so I do have to give him a bit of slack here.

50 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

You don’t get great returns when it is a salary dump trade. Marlins didn’t get much for Stanton. 

I am sure Boston fans are excited to see their best player shipped off as season ticket prices are raised for the upcoming season. 

Yeah, Price's contract was definitely a huge factor there, but not sure why that would be such a priority for them. They have always been big spenders and now they care so much about getting under the tax threshold.

2 hours ago, Jose said:

Yeah, Price's contract was definitely a huge factor there, but not sure why that would be such a priority for them. They have always been big spenders and now they care so much about getting under the tax threshold.

Yeah the thought that the Sox had to trade Mookie because they can’t afford him is laughable. A 7 WAR player is worth something like $50-$60 million? Fenway Sports Group is worth $6.6 billion lol. 

Looking at some articles, the Red Sox have only paid on average 1.2 million a year in luxury taxes since the various versions of the system went into effect, but they were likely on their way to 8-10 million a year in tax payments due to their bad habits the last half decade.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Looking at some articles, the Red Sox have only paid on average 1.2 million a year in luxury taxes since the various versions of the system went into effect, but they were likely on their way to 8-10 million a year in tax payments due to their bad habits the last half decade.

Would surely break them. Owners are the worst

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Yankees

seinfeld celebrating GIF

I actually gasped when I saw that the Yankees have averaged over 15 million in tax per year since the system was initiated. The Red Sox 1.2 million is second to that :lol:

Hard to complain about getting one of the best players in the league for practically nothing other than some billionaire's millions. I like Verdugo but dude already has back problems and that's not a good sign. Yeah the return is light, because there just aren't that many teams you can dump $70+ million in payroll on. 

Our rotation is still problematic to me, at least in the post season. After Buehler, we're still starting Kershaw and Price behind him, and that's even if Alex Wood is partying like it's 2017 again this year. But that lineup should be best or near best in the NL. 

The real issue is wtf is going on with that Angels trade where I'm hearing all sorts of things like Ross Stripling is also headed to Anaheim, with all sorts of reports of prospects going in either direction. 

14 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Hard to complain about getting one of the best players in the league for practically nothing other than some billionaire's millions. I like Verdugo but dude already has back problems and that's not a good sign. Yeah the return is light, because there just aren't that many teams you can dump $70+ million in payroll on. 

Our rotation is still problematic to me, at least in the post season. After Buehler, we're still starting Kershaw and Price behind him, and that's even if Alex Wood is partying like it's 2017 again this year. But that lineup should be best or near best in the NL. 

The real issue is wtf is going on with that Angels trade where I'm hearing all sorts of things like Ross Stripling is also headed to Anaheim, with all sorts of reports of prospects going in either direction. 

Stripling, Joc and a prospect to Angels for Rengifo and two prospects is the deal I guess. 

LA must have a ton of confidence in May or Gonsolin stepping up and filling that 5 spot. Also have Urias and Jimmy Nelson who can fill in if Wood struggles. I’m guessing the rotate those guys the first half of the year and then make a deadline trade for a SP   

Lux and May better be studs because we could have gotten a lot for them in return. I'd rather have Lindor and Clevinger from Cleveland for example than Betts, or we probably could have gotten Arenando for them which is a more pressing need than OF, plus he'd be signed long term instead of being a rental. Betts is going to beat Harper money next year, so not like we're gonna get any kind of discount to bring him back.