The Mariners

thewhyteboar

2 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

:shrug:

I was the first person to post the Jomboy video showing the banging. I’ve said they probably used technology to cheat. But because I point out that you’re making definitive statements with no proof, I’m “defending” them. This is why fans are the worst, they make their identity one with the team/game/movie/etc. they support so they can’t understand that other people don’t. It’s just entertainment for some.

If they cheated, they cheated. Why would I care? I’m not the one who will be punished or have my reputation tarnished.

There is a ton of smoke so it seems inevitable this is proved to be true in some capacity.  What I would like to see as a punishment for players is for each one found to be involved has to wear a bright orange C on their jersey and an orange batting helmet. I don’t care that players cheat. It is common and the punishment shouldn’t be severe. Now management should be given lengthy bans if not a lifetime. 

I forgot to quote this earlier from baseball prospectus to show that, yes, I know more about baseball and how sign stealing helps teams than you chumps :p 

If the Astros really did put their sign-stealing approach into full effect at the end of May, then the advent of that system had a huge impact on the performance of their hitters. A quick survey of some knowledgeable baseball people indicated that the most likely ways that advance knowledge of the coming pitch would help hitters was in the realm of plate discipline, specifically in terms of reducing whiffs and swings at pitches well out of the zone.

EXACTLY. This is what I’ve been arguing since those dopey 0-2 fatties that got crushed were posted earlier. I accept your apology, @Jose

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/11/22/astros-sign-stealing-2017-playoffs?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

“A source familiar with the sign-stealing investigation said by midweek that Manfred’s investigators had interviewed “15 to 20” Astros personnel, including the 2017 coaching staff and manager A.J. Hinch—some more than once. The source said the investigation confirmed the scheme as described by Fiers was used during a period of about three months during the 2017 regular season. The source added that the investigation is also pursuing whether the Astros used modified systems to acquire signs in the 2017 postseason, when scrutiny is heightened and the banging of a trash can would be more manifest. The Astros were 8–1 at home in the 2017 postseason.“

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but they obviously took that into account when they signed him. Even if he sucks after the 5th year, the value he gave in those 5 years will justify the deal.

They just have to hope the decline doesn't happen as rapidly as it did to Price or Sale.

I think Cole will age well. According to articles, he is interested in analytics and pitching.  

What recent years? The last huge signings by the Yankees were in 2014 when Yankees signed Ellsbury and Tanaka to 7 year deals. Ellsbury has been a disaster but Tanaka has been good (regular season) to great (postseason). The Yankees needed an Ace and got the best one available. It’s a good signing. 

Baseball seems to be the only sport where people rag on the massive contracts. I don’t get it. 

44 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I think Cole will age well. According to articles, he is interested in analytics and pitching.  

What recent years? The last huge signings by the Yankees were in 2014 when Yankees signed Ellsbury and Tanaka to 7 year deals. Ellsbury has been a disaster but Tanaka has been good (regular season) to great (postseason). The Yankees needed an Ace and got the best one available. It’s a good signing. 

Baseball seems to be the only sport where people rag on the massive contracts. I don’t get it. 

I mean she's a Red Sox fan. The Strasburg deal was far worse and she didn't mention it.

I would worry that a guy who was just OK before coming to the Astros school of pitching witchcraft and wizardry will regress to the mean. 2019 will likely be the greatest season of Coke’s career, but I hope he pitches well for years to come. Loved watching him here in Houston. I like grumpy pitchers :) 

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I would worry that a guy who was just OK before coming to the Astros school of pitching witchcraft and wizardry will regress to the mean. 2019 will likely be the greatest season of Coke’s career, but I hope he pitches well for years to come. Loved watching him here in Houston. I like grumpy pitchers :) 

I don't think he's going to forget what he learned in his time in Houston. Look at Charlie Morton. He just had by far the best season of his career.

2 hours ago, Jose said:

I don't think he's going to forget what he learned in his time in Houston. Look at Charlie Morton. He just had by far the best season of his career.

He certainly won’t be bad anytime soon. 2019 was just a ridiculous year, even more so when you consider he was kinda bad much of the first 7 weeks of the season! The Yankees are rich and can afford to take the risk of only getting few great seasons out of him. They had the second best club in baseball all year last year, Cole instantly shifts the balance of power in their favor.

So I really look forward to how the Astros knock the Yankees out of the playoffs next season ;) 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I'm pretty sure that the world series winning Astros are just an amalgamation of the Braves from the last decade.

• 4 weeks later...

Alex Cora did coach with the Astros in 2017, brought their bag of tricks to Boston with him :p

I’m also going to say 100% of teams do things like what the Red Sox are alleged to have done here. The Astros pulling a live feed of the center field camera and relaying the signs in real time is like 10 rungs of sophistication higher in the cheating ladder :lol: