The Mariners

thewhyteboar

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

“Smart beats rich,” Dodgers president Stan Kasten said in The Wall Street Journal. “If you’re smart and rich, you’re going to be very hard to beat.”

Did you even read your own article?

Of course I did. But let's be real, nearly all of Boston's core fielding positions are homegrown talent. They made some great trades, using their farm system as chips. Only 2 of their big players came from big free agent signings. A good chunk of their current payroll is made up of the poor signings of Ramirez and Sandoval, who no longer play for the team.

They've got money, but it's not like they went out and signed all the top free agents to get to where they are. Big payrolls don't always equate to success, as the article points out with the examples of San Francisco and Washington. And smaller market teams can experience their own success, like the Indians did in 2016 and still do, to an extent. Or the Brewers. 

I'm just saying it's not as simple as some make it out to be.

But you're not talking to someone who makes it out to be simple, so it's a silly strawman. The advantage the Red Sox and Dodgers have is massive and completely unfair. The Yankees are just biding their time until they go crazy in FA, too. In a few years, there will be no parity left in the sport and that shouldnt be.

I mean, I dunno, your one and only post was basically, "surprise, the team that spends the most wins the WS," when that isn't always the case. That's what I was responding to. Of course, teams who spend more generally have a better chance, but it doesn't guarantee success. Your Indians very nearly won it all in 2016 with a payroll of around $100 million. the Astros of 2017 cruised past the Red Sox to win it all with 17th highest payroll in the league that year.

I'd be fine with salary caps, because it's only going to get more ridiculous. Bryce Harper wanting $350 million after his mediocre season? Dirty Machado probably going to command around $300 million? 

I really wouldn't take issue with that. I kinda doubt it happens anytime soon, but who knows. 

Now we get to speculate just how much the Yankees are going to pay Machado and inch back up to that luxury tax threshold. :p As for Harper, my guess is he stays with the Nationals. The Yankees don't really need his position filled and I can't think of many other teams willing to pay his the kind of money he wants, plus he's indicated he'd like to stay in Washington. 

Pretty much all of the top payroll teams have a good amount of homegrown talent. Some talent is just better than others (red sox have great talent, giants talent is maybe on the downswing, or could just be bumgarner?) and some teams made more dumb signings than others

• 2 weeks later...

And just like that my day is a lot sadder. 

Farewell Paul you will be missed in a D-Backs uni.