Ocasio-Cortez Currently Backs Pelosi, ‘Most Progressive Candidate,’ For Speaker

1 hour ago, Jason said:

One of the things that got through to me on universal healthcare/single payer is the freedom afforded by being able to take a risk on a new job or a small business when you don't have to worry about a healthcare gap by doing so.

The pros and cons of a single-payer system are debatable; the utter stupidity and inefficiency of a system whereby health insurance is tied almost entirely  to employment is not debatable.

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

STEM degrees aren't directly useful if you're not getting a PhD.

Something I’ve noticed amongst my friends is those who didn’t get STEM degrees have had the best career success finding a side door into STEM heavy industries.

One of my close friends works in cyber security while her her educational background is in linguistics. She started in that area by getting a job at Chevron doing linguistic work for their cyber security team and now does work almost completely unrelated to linguistics.

Similar stories from several other friends.

Penn is notorious in Washington as the metaphorical devil on the shoulder, whispering toxic advice into the ears of Democratic candidates. Penn and Jacobson were both early players in the Democratic Leadership Council, a faction that emerged within the party in the 1980s to push it to align with corporate money and to move in a more conservative direction. He’s perhaps most well known for urging his client, Hillary Clinton, to attack Barack Obama as un-American during the 2008 presidential primary.

In a now-famous 2007 memo to Clinton, Penn noted that there had been much coverage in the media of Obama’s “boyhood in Indonesia and his life in Hawaii … geared towards showing his background is diverse, multicultural and putting that in a new light. Save it for 2050.”

In other words, Penn argued, an appeal to diversity wouldn’t work politically for another half-century. “I cannot imagine America electing a president during a time of war who is not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and in his values,” he wrote.