Report: MS to release "disc-less" XB1 in 2019 along with "disc to digital" trade-in program

Commissar SFLUFAN

24 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'd like to know who this person is who will want to trade up to a disc-less Xbox One S.  Sounds more like Microsoft is wanting to cut corners on their base model.

I think the new model exists primarily as a new low entry point to Xbox hardware. 

It's also a bit of a test case for a disc-less future, and the disc-to-digital program has to exist as part of that.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It's also a bit of a test case for a disc-less future, and the disc-to-digital program has to exist as part of that.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that's entirely the reason for this. Blu-ray drives couldn't cost that much these days; they are more interested in seeing what the market adoption is like.

I haven't placed a disc in my xbox in like 2 years and maybe 1 or 2 in my PS4 in the same time frame. I get everything digital now a days. I wouldn't do this as I have an S already but would definitely trade that in if they offered an X at a lower cost without a disc drive. Also I will probably take advantage of the trade-in program. I have so many physical games that I will eventually sell of for cheap or just get rid of them that this would be better option for me to be honest. 

55 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'd like to know who this person is who will want to trade up to a disc-less Xbox One S.  Sounds more like Microsoft is wanting to cut corners on their base model.

Really it’s just an initiative to push more gamers into the Game Pass subscribtion. 

12 minutes ago, TheRealSmallville said:

I use my X1S for 4K movies & bluray...not even sure the last time I put a game disc in. Been pretty much digital for the last 4 years. Cool concept for anyone who doesn't want it for a (disk) movie player though. 

This. I am discless but the Blu Ray drive is for movies not games so while it's a cool idea I'll stick with my drive. But the disc to digital game trade is pretty cool. I have Rock Band disc and a few others I got as gifts. I wouldn't mind turning those into digital only games.

*Walks up to MS, hands them discs of Silent Hill Downpour and Castlevania Lords of Shadow.*

*Taps foot*

*Takes discs back and goes home*

I jest, but there are a lot of games out there that don't have digital copies. Plus, you're at the mercy of MSRP at that point. When the FFXIII trilogy became back compatible, they were still $19.99 each online, where as I walked into a Gamestop and bought them used for $5 a pop. Same with Castlevania Lords of Shadow, which doesn't even have a digital version. Bought it for $10 as soon as it was announced.

If shitty publishers like Konami would get off their ass and make digital versions of some of their old games (or at least allow MS to do it) then I'd be more excited for an all-digital future. Granted it will become less of an issue going forward, but I still like my old games.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

The service is cool.  The rest reminds me of the PSP Go.

Some one like me who has two Xbox 1's, an original Xbox and an X1X and a ton of game discs that I'm running out of room for?

I still like to buy discs of games im not sure I’ll like(in case I wanna trade it back in) and still list discs for presents at Christmas cause opening actual things is fun. But yeah it makes sense that a disc-less version of a console is coming. Hell my car didn’t come with a CD player. 

48 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The UHD codec in the S and X is terrible.

Well it's not important to me right now as I don't own a 4k TV.  Probably won't get a 4k TV until next year or, hell, the year after.  The way TV prices have fallen year over year recently I can live with 1080p in the short term until I can get a stellar, bigger, TV for <$500.

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

@cusideabelincoln - you may want to check with XB1X users to see if it has improved with updates though.

The update has improved the initial issues. Not sure how many updates have been released since then but for the most part comparing a $500 game console vs a $500 dedicated UHD player the dedicated player is always going to be better. For the most part in my experience the UHD playback is more than satisfactory.

It would be nice to know the actual numbers when the time comes to see if people really want this or if this just a small percentage of people. I think I could be at a point to get away from physical media. Like people said above, if I buy discs now, it's a price that I could not pass.

On one hand, I don't like games are tied to a console generation and console support. Like, if the online service for that console ever stops, and you console breaks, your are fucked. On the other hand, the only physical games I own on my PS4 are Destiny 1 and Persona 5. 

11 minutes ago, The def star said:

The update has improved the initial issues. Not sure how many updates have been released since then but for the most part comparing a $500 game console vs a $500 dedicated UHD player the dedicated player is always going to be better. For the most part in my experience the UHD playback is more than satisfactory.

I wonder how the ~$200 X1S would compare to cheaper UHD players.

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I bought my Xbox 1 S0 this summer, for about $200, and I don't plan on buying any disks for it. One step ahead of you, MS! 

The last game I bought on disc for the Xbox was the day one limited edition of Forza 5 at launch. And that only happened because the LE was not obtainable digitally. 

Been purely digital ever since. 

I wish they did this a long time ago with the 360 because disc to digital was exactly what I was doing except I was selling the disc and getting the digital version. I have no Xbox One discs.

I also like the idea of a discless one except for the fact I use it to watch blu-ray discs. But unless there is some substantial hardware revision I probably won't pick up a different version.