Sony will not be at E3 2019 in another sign that PS5 is releasing in 2020

SaysWho?

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

Your move, THQ Nordic!

One thing I noticed from the Kotaku article that I didn't realize about MS:

This is yet another blow to the annual Los Angeles trade show, which has seen multiple publishers drop out over the past few years. Electronic Arts now holds its own event in Hollywood in the days leading up to E3, while last year Microsoft rented out a theater at L.A. Live, a few minutes away from the convention center where E3 takes place. Nintendo has spent the past five years eschewing traditional press conferences in favor of pre-recorded videos, and with Sony gone, one of E3's other marquee press conferences will now also not be present in 2019.

I didn't know they did their own thing away from the convention center. Looks like more companies want to host their own thing and have more control over it, where you can get those big shows that whet fans' appetites but have complete control over all the events everyday.

I feel like it wasn't that long ago that all the major players were ditching E3 to do their own events. Then they decided to do their own events and be at E3 (or be EA and kinda be there). I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Sony ends up doing, next year if not this one. Do their own thing, show off their stuff on their own terms, but still show up to E3 and just do something smaller showcasing mostly already announced things.

Someone on Reddit leaked this yesterday. This is a follow-up:

PS experience returning, Most devs already have dev kits for ps5 ( Spoiler: It’s a monster), Sony prepping hard for ps5 and one of the reason for no e3 next year because they blew all their load this year and got nothing new to show next year (They want to show new stuff at psx)

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Sony needs to drop the number for the next generation and go with something like a cool-sounding, utterly inexplicable word.

Something like "PlayStation Orbis" is just the ticket!

I think they should really try to pander to their gay fanbase and introduce Gaystation personally.

All OS sounds will be Mario Cantone screaming.

• Guillotine 1

5 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Sony needs to drop the number for the next generation and go with something like a cool-sounding, utterly inexplicable word.

Something like "PlayStation Orbis" is just the ticket!

Wasn't there a fake Xbox or Playstation ad a while back that was supposed to be a futuristic <console> orb for the relevant platform?

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

The idea of new consoles just doesn't excite me like it used to. Seems like it's getting to the point where they're about as effective as a new cell phone upgrade yearly.

Ironically, the new consoles (at least on the MS side) has made me more excited about current and last gen games. I don't hesitate to pick up old 360 games once they become backward compatible. If MS sticks to their vision I'll be able to enjoy them for the forseeable future. 

I don't doubt that Sony is going to go the same route, maybe they'll even include a built-in chipset for PS3/PS2 emulation.

A couple of thoughts:

1)  If you give up your floor space at e3, you don't always get it back.  I suspect Sony won't be back in 2020.  A good chance that this will kill e3

2)  I can't see PS5 (or any console) ever being a "monster".  Gone are the days where consoles have an 8x performance improvement over the previous gen.  I expect its GPU to be less than 12 GFlops, with no dedicated Ray-Tracing cores.

• Thanks 1