Official Destiny 2 Thread - Blad's Best Friend Club, update: significant layoffs hit Bungie, including composer Michael Salvatori

NeoJoe

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

Should I wait to get Forsaken on cyber Monday? What are the best reasons to get Forsaken?

Do you have the two year 1 expansions, osiris and Warmind? If not, wait until after the 16th, as from then on they'll be included in forsaken's price.

As for whether it's worth it, the campaign was really very good, and there's a ton of content. Lots of secrets and small quests to go on. Leveling up is a grind though, so that could be a positive or negative depending on how you feel. There's always something to do that will give you a meaningful reward, which is a huge improvement over year 1 where you did three milestones per week and you were finished. 

1 hour ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

The grind in Destiny 2 after Forsaken is now worse than Warframe. Warframe may be convoluted at times but at least it has a clear way to progress. 

I don't know how you can get much clearer than "play the game, progress your level" but whatever you say man. 

Yeah disagree on it being a grind as well.  In 3 weeks doing everything except raid I am able to do almost every content besides complete the 3 man raid.  I've seen people post they had 3 characters maxed that do the raid after 3 weeks.  You also get a prime engram daily to boost you power.   The progress is waaayy faster than previous Destiny.  I still remember the days you had one chance per week to get a drop to reach max level. 

Forever 29.....

I think a bigger problem is that with 99% of gear, there's no way to target anything. It's still RNG on top of RNG, which, to my knowledge, only Destiny 1 spergs find a meaningful and enjoyable way to get gear.

You get a couple different pools of gear at least, but I'd prefer a traditional token system where you spend X special currency to buy whatever the hell you want.

48 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think a bigger problem is that with 99% of gear, there's no way to target anything. It's still RNG on top of RNG, which, to my knowledge, only Destiny 1 spergs find a meaningful and enjoyable way to get gear.

You get a couple different pools of gear at least, but I'd prefer a traditional token system where you spend X special currency to buy whatever the hell you want.

I would agree for the most part - if you're talking about powerful drops that give a big boost to your light level, then yeah, getting two helmets in a row can be a real bitch, or only needing a class item to hit max level and no way to guarantee you get one. But removing random rolls and being able to get everything easily made year 1 boring as fuck. RNG on RNG can be a dick, but it's definitely more interesting. 

That said, it's still the most rewarding leveling system bungie has implemented - if you love strikes and only play them exclusively, prime engrams and the weekly/daily rewards would eventually get you max light. It lets you play the game the way you want, rather than a checklist of things to do. Want to ignore all the weeklies and just play crucible for the redrix quest? Still making progress. All that other stuff is there for the people who want to do everything, and it's certainly faster that way, but this is the loosest "just have fun" system so far. 

1 hour ago, mo1518 said:

I would agree for the most part - if you're talking about powerful drops that give a big boost to your light level, then yeah, getting two helmets in a row can be a real bitch, or only needing a class item to hit max level and no way to guarantee you get one. But removing random rolls and being able to get everything easily made year 1 boring as fuck. RNG on RNG can be a dick, but it's definitely more interesting. 

It's always fun to see peoples' opinions on loot systems who maybe haven't seen a lot of loot systems.

Here's a crazy concept: Each piece of content gives out different loot! 

They're KIND of going this way, like I said. There's different loot pools for strikes than there are for PvP, and raids have their own loot pools, too.

But in, say, MMOs, you kill a specific boss, and that boss has its own loot pool. If there's a piece of armor you really want that drops off that boss, you keep killing that boss until it drops, or until you get enough tokens to buy it. (Which is bad luck protection to keep you from having to farm one piece for ridiculous amounts of time.)

When we talk about loot in Destiny, Destiny players chime in with "but it's easy to power up!" and it's like bitch I'm not talking about powering up, I'm talking about getting specific loot I want. If I want this gun, HOW do I get it? Oh, I just pray it drops? Fucking cool. Maybe Xur will have it some day.

Removing random rolls and being able to get everything "easily" didn't make year 1 boring as fuck, the gear being boring and unrewarding and also having no content is what made year 1 boring as fuck. It was a bad game with a terrible curve. Destiny 2 tries to straddle the line between shooter and MMO, and then it makes up its own loot system (to the best of my knowledge) to fix a problem that never existed and introduces a whole host of new problems. Just use existing models for loot from other games! I guess it's going for the Diablo loot system instead of an MMO one, but it's this weird hybrid that's entirely unfocused and thus unsatisfying. You cannot set a goal for yourself and work towards that goal. You just grind and grind and grind and grind and hope you get the stupid fucking piece of loot you actually want, or you do like me and stop caring about loot because it loses all meaning at some point, and then you're just slowly pumping up your power number.

I really don't get why they had to invent some weird ass loot system for this, besides the fact that they knew they wouldn't have much content and endless grinding is a great way to make a certain subset of people believe they're "earning" something.

They do have that in Destiny. Each raid encounter has a chance to drop a curated "God roll" masterwork weapon - the hand cannon is D2's fatebringer. Do Petra's bounties to chase the masterworked versions of the dreaming city weapons. Crucible and gambit both have specific, powerful guns to chase. Nightfall strikes all have their own specific loot to go after as well, and you can play any activity to get that activity's loot pool. The general world loot pool is boring and you see it the most (edge Transit), the good stuff is in the activities. 

Now exotics? Ugh. I've gotten two of the new exotics, both armor, both useless to my playstyle. I like rare guns to hope for, but this is getting a bit silly. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2018 at 5:29 PM, mo1518 said:

I don't know how you can get much clearer than "play the game, progress your level" but whatever you say man. 

It is not quite that simple. There are tiers to rewards even among the ones labeled as "powerful gear". You could get something as good or lower than what you have based on the activity you complete.

Also infusing requiring master work cores makes it hard to keep the same armor/weapon with you as you try to go up in level/power. You could get a "god roll" on some weapons you love using, but then have to give them up to use weapons you don't really like just because they are a higher power. 

Once you get to about 530-540 it is not so bad. You can safely do more activities in the Dreaming City, so get higher level powerful gear becomes easier. But from 500-530 it feels very slow going. 

It did not help that I realized I was suffering from the bug where Clan XP would reset, making it near impossible to complete that task for the week for gear. 

Exotics? Yeah, I finally got my first Forsaken exotic the other day. Queenbreaker linear fusion rifle. I am not really a fan. I am strongly thinking of infusing it into a Sleeper Simulant. 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It is not quite that simple. There are tiers to rewards even among the ones labeled as "powerful gear". You could get something as good or lower than what you have based on the activity you complete.

Also infusing requiring master work cores makes it hard to keep the same armor/weapon with you as you try to go up in level/power. You could get a "god roll" on some weapons you love using, but then have to give them up to use weapons you don't really like just because they are a higher power. 

Once you get to about 530-540 it is not so bad. You can safely do more activities in the Dreaming City, so get higher level powerful gear becomes easier. But from 500-530 it feels very slow going. 

It did not help that I realized I was suffering from the bug where Clan XP would reset, making it near impossible to complete that task for the week for gear. 

Exotics? Yeah, I finally got my first Forsaken exotic the other day. Queenbreaker linear fusion rifle. I am not really a fan. I am strongly thinking of infusing it into a Sleeper Simulant. 

It is that simple. Whether you get a one light increase from a low tier powerful engram or a ten light increase from a big one, progress is progress. You never get something lower than your max light level - if you have something holding you back, that sucks, but keep playing and you'll eventually get it. It takes no thought or planning, just play and you grow in power. As a bonus, prime engrams can drop along the way, acting as a extra buffer against bad luck and again, letting you play whatever content you want and still gain levels. 

Masterwork Cores are a pain, absolutely, but you can buy a few off spider very cheaply every day to infuse your favourite guns. It's not the end of the world if you can't use your favourite gun for 24 hours or less while you wait for spider's inventory to reset. Again, infusing sucks right now, but it's not like you can only infuse something once per week like house of wolves. 

Dreaming city at sub 540 was challenging and mysterious and exciting in a way destiny patrol areas have never been, except for maybe those yellow bar knights in the cosmodrome back when you first started the game. You say it's slow going, I say that was some of the most fun destiny has ever been. 

I love bitching about destiny, but you have to give credit where it's due, this system is a pretty good setup for hardcore and casual players alike, giving everyone a clear path to their goal - play what you like, chase the tougher stuff if you want, don't do things you don't want to do. Whatever you do, you get rewarded for the time you put in. 

Raids have a chance to drop a god roll weapon? Oh joy who really has the time to commit the hours to play that as well as trying to find 5 other competent players somewhere since the mode still has no matchmaking. There's a reason raids are the least played mode in all of Destiny. Nightfalls lacking matchmaking is another boneheaded decision and that "guided games beta" nonsense is a joke where it requires tickets that run out. It's just not worth the time and effort for a "chance" to get something I "may" want. I like the gear I use now and there is no way to play efficiently to get them upgraded. If the infusion system wasn't tampered with I'd have less of an issue because there are ways to get high level gear that somewhat values a players' time. But because the game now requires those god awful masterwork cores it forces me to to grind for useless legendary gear so I can dismantle them for shards to trade for materials with Spider and then turn them into vendors for a chance a masterworked piece of gear will drop so I can dismantle it to get 1 core, maybe 2 if I'm really really lucky. 

I do like that there are more sources for powerful engrams. It would be nice if instead of the tier being hidden, they would call the ones that give you a big boost prime engrams. That way it is clear which ones will be a small increase, if any, and which ones will be 5-10 power higher. I do like that some days there are daily challenges that give you a weak powerful engram. It at least gives you a chance for a small improvement when you have completed all the weekly tasks you are able to.

The prime engrams that drop at random and based on number of kills is the best change bungie has made. I love picking them up, or seeing it at my post master. It seems the drop rate for these has replaced the old drop rate for exotics, which were often used as infusion fuel due to dropped exotics being a higher level than you. 

Now if only Bungie did not throw PVP off a fucking cliff. Especially since clan bounties seem to exclusively require crucible and gambit. 

6 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I do like that there are more sources for powerful engrams. It would be nice if instead of the tier being hidden, they would call the ones that give you a big boost prime engrams. That way it is clear which ones will be a small increase, if any, and which ones will be 5-10 power higher. I do like that some days there are daily challenges that give you a weak powerful engram. It at least gives you a chance for a small improvement when you have completed all the weekly tasks you are able to.

The prime engrams that drop at random and based on number of kills is the best change bungie has made. I love picking them up, or seeing it at my post master. It seems the drop rate for these has replaced the old drop rate for exotics, which were often used as infusion fuel due to dropped exotics being a higher level than you. 

Now if only Bungie did not throw PVP off a fucking cliff. Especially since clan bounties seem to exclusively require crucible and gambit. 

I haven't had any problems with pvp.

Man, this week there almost feels like too much to do with Festival of the Lost amd Iron Banner, in addition to the stuff this week in the dreaming city and all the normal weekly activities. 

Luckily it does not seem lile it will take too long to get the Fragmented Souls needed for the 600 auto rifle and a bunch of masks. So I may be able to spend a bit more time getting powerful engrams in Iron Banner.

Yeah agree, I will likely skip banana.  I'm only going for the 600 AR, then gonna go back to asscreed.  I'll likely be back after I get my fill from asscreed and rdr2.  Even the clan I joined does not have much activity anymore.  I only see about 20-ish people on out of 100 and that is a tick up from normally only around 10 or less.

The Haunted Forest is just the Infinite Forest with the lights turned off but with some boss fights and horrible loot for the effort. So disappointing. That Auto Rifle isn't very good other than used for infusion. The masks are pretty stupid. I got a nice ship from one of those new engrams though. 

3 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

The Haunted Forest is just the Infinite Forest with the lights turned off but with some boss fights and horrible loot for the effort.

I hear ya, just like Halloween is just a regular day with people wearing costumes and sometimes you get bad candy, at the end of it all it's really disappointing.

21 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

The Haunted Forest is just the Infinite Forest with the lights turned off but with some boss fights and horrible loot for the effort. So disappointing. That Auto Rifle isn't very good other than used for infusion. The masks are pretty stupid. I got a nice ship from one of those new engrams though. 

As you originally surmised though, this is closer to how the Infinite Forrest should have been.

Maybe what they should have done instead of iron banner this week, have the haunted forrest reward you powerful engrams based on the tier you are able to clear. The higher the tier cleared the greater the power of the engram compared to yourself. They can still have the 600 fully master worked Horror Story available so that everyone has a very good chance of getting at least one 600 piece of loot during all this. 

I really likes that archetype of auto rifle in year one. So I hope it feels good in the current sandbox.