Official Destiny 2 Thread - Blad's Best Friend Club, update: significant layoffs hit Bungie, including composer Michael Salvatori

NeoJoe

On 8/21/2019 at 8:45 PM, bladimir2k said:

Bunch of us were on PS4 but are migrating to pc after today. A few are remain on PS4 so we are going to play back an forth between the 2. 

Decided to hop on the PC game. M&K is definitely something else.

Anybody else on the PC, feel free to add me (same as on PS4, emalider). Being the only one on my friends/clan list does not feel goodman.

E: New to Battle.net. It's emalider#1157 if that makes a difference.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:28 AM, emalider said:

Decided to hop on the PC game. M&K is definitely something else.

Anybody else on the PC, feel free to add me (same as on PS4, emalider). Being the only one on my friends/clan list does not feel goodman.

E: New to Battle.net. It's emalider#1157 if that makes a difference.

Em! Dont come here as often as before, I messaged you through battle.net..... most of our PS4 clan is moving to PC either now or when Oct 1 hits. If you need a clan you can join us. Also we got a discord server for all our comms... I'll see you on PC!

On 8/30/2019 at 1:31 PM, bladimir2k said:

Em! Dont come here as often as before, I messaged you through battle.net..... most of our PS4 clan is moving to PC either now or when Oct 1 hits. If you need a clan you can join us. Also we got a discord server for all our comms... I'll see you on PC!

I heard @mo1518 got a gaming PC.  Crazy times we're living in. 

12 hours ago, Chickenstrip you so crazy said:

After hundreds of hours on console... this game feels and plays like a brand new game with Kb/M and unlimited fps. I took a hiatus with Opulence until cross save, now I'm balls deep again. Also, RIP Cayde - never forget. 

I would need to sell some organs to ever afford a new PC again.

I’m looking forward to ShadowKeep, but not a fan of some of the upcoming nerfs in the sandbox update. 

All these nerfs because they didn’t think people would figure out how to maximize DPS. The didn’t expect the rally barricade buff to no longer require crouching behind it to reload automatically would drastically increase DPS. They didn’t expect Raid teams would always have a warlock with Well of Radiance for the “everybody stand together and shoot at the boss’s giant Crit spot” boss mechanic to make it easier. They didn’t foresee people mixing and matching different types of damage buffs and debuffs to really boost DPS to melt a boss. 

What the fuck kind of goobers do they think play their game?!  Are they do bad at their own game they can’t coordinate enough to get 6 people to stand in a giant glowing circle that provides constant healing, over shield, and 35% more damage? 

Did they not know an exotic and class ability that make it so your weapon automatically reloads would increase DPS of the player and fire team? 

Are they so creatively bankrupt that their their only solution to us feeling and being powerful in a game where we kill GODs is to make us weaker? 

I’m just disappointed. I will still get ShadowKeep. I still enjoy Destiny. Some of their ideas for handling seasons sounds interesting, and I like reasons to jump in and play. I just wish they’d stop removing player agency, because they think the only other way the game could be challenging with our current power is to give bosses even MORE health and defense. Yawn. Boring. 

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’m looking forward to ShadowKeep, but not a fan of some of the upcoming nerfs in the sandbox update. 

All these nerfs because they didn’t think people would figure out how to maximize DPS. The didn’t expect the rally barricade buff to no longer require crouching behind it to reload automatically would drastically increase DPS. They didn’t expect Raid teams would always have a warlock with Well of Radiance for the “everybody stand together and shoot at the boss’s giant Crit spot” boss mechanic to make it easier. They didn’t foresee people mixing and matching different types of damage buffs and debuffs to really boost DPS to melt a boss. 

What the fuck kind of goobers do they think play their game?!  Are they do bad at their own game they can’t coordinate enough to get 6 people to stand in a giant glowing circle that provides constant healing, over shield, and 35% more damage? 

Did they not know an exotic and class ability that make it so your weapon automatically reloads would increase DPS of the player and fire team? 

Are they so creatively bankrupt that their their only solution to us feeling and being powerful in a game where we kill GODs is to make us weaker? 

I’m just disappointed. I will still get ShadowKeep. I still enjoy Destiny. Some of their ideas for handling seasons sounds interesting, and I like reasons to jump in and play. I just wish they’d stop removing player agency, because they think the only other way the game could be challenging with our current power is to give bosses even MORE health and defense. Yawn. Boring. 

The problem is that in order to create challenging content you have to account for these overpowered mechanics. Thats the reason that the reckoning is the way it is, it because it's built around the idea that you will always have a well of radiance with lunafaction equipped and a rally barricade for when well is on recharge. Same thing goes for menagerie, you basically need at least one well if not more, especially for heroic. The amount of times I've beat a reckoning tier 3, heck even tier 2 without radiance isn't very high.

Its basically shoehorning you into a specific class with specific exotics with no real choice for picking something else.

Min/maxing will always happen, but at least once this nerf happens at least there is some freedom in the classes and exotics you choose and running content doesn't have to be the same mechanics every time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nokt said:

The problem is that in order to create challenging content you have to account for these overpowered mechanics. Thats the reason that the reckoning is the way it is, it because it's built around the idea that you will always have a well of radiance with lunafaction equipped and a rally barricade for when well is on recharge. Same thing goes for menagerie, you basically need at least one well if not more, especially for heroic. The amount of times I've beat a reckoning tier 3, heck even tier 2 without radiance isn't very high.

Its basically shoehorning you into a specific class with specific exotics with no real choice for picking something else.

Min/maxing will always happen, but at least once this nerf happens at least there is some freedom in the classes and exotics you choose and running content doesn't have to be the same mechanics every time.

That’s because they keep creating the same top of content with the same type of encounters. They give bosses damage phases and make them damage sponges. Of coarse people will try to find the most DPS effective way to kill a boss. Nobody wants a 30 minute, boring, 3-4 phase damage sponge boss encounter. But that’s what Bungie keeps designing. 

Their issue isn’t power creep. It’s creative deficiency. Create encounters that breaks up the team. That make DPS irrelevant or at least not the end all. Throw a final boss encounter in a Raid that neutralizes Supers. Or absorbs the energy from all but Kinetic weapons, and you don’t attack the boss directly. 

Every Raid doesn’t need to be some God or God-like being. It can just be a guy, some major that is making a bomb. The final encounter is mostly mechanic driven just to get to “the guy” before time runs out. It’s more about coordination to solve puzzles and keep everyone alive rather than doing a million damage per player to a boss before it enrages and kills everyone. 

But to quote Bungie’s own employees; “creating content is hard.”

21 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

That’s because they keep creating the same top of content with the same type of encounters. They give bosses damage phases and make them damage sponges. Of coarse people will try to find the most DPS effective way to kill a boss. Nobody wants a 30 minute, boring, 3-4 phase damage sponge boss encounter. But that’s what Bungie keeps designing. 

Their issue isn’t power creep. It’s creative deficiency. Create encounters that breaks up the team. That make DPS irrelevant or at least not the end all. Throw a final boss encounter in a Raid that neutralizes Supers. Or absorbs the energy from all but Kinetic weapons, and you don’t attack the boss directly. 

Every Raid doesn’t need to be some God or God-like being. It can just be a guy, some major that is making a bomb. The final encounter is mostly mechanic driven just to get to “the guy” before time runs out. It’s more about coordination to solve puzzles and keep everyone alive rather than doing a million damage per player to a boss before it enrages and kills everyone. 

Didn't they do that with the Oryx fight? And that was a nightmare. I loathed the technicality of that fight. So much room for error and wipes.

3 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Didn't they do that with the Oryx fight? And that was a nightmare. I loathed the technicality of that fight. So much room for error and wipes.

I rather liked the Oryx fight, but no. Oryx was all about people having different locations to stand in, different rolls, but they had to be strong individually. They weren’t helping another team mate, who is helping another team mate, who is working towards a goal. It was everyone do you me jobs and we will meet in the middle for damage. 

Im talking more like a 6 man version of Portal 2, where maybe at times you’re best in 2-2-2 teams or maybe 3-2-1 teams, or maybe even 1-2-2-1. Where your success is reliant on another, who is relying on somebody. 

I posted this this on the Bungie forums

Example: one person or group needs to fire pretty sustained fire at a device to keep a door from permanently closing, another person or group needs to go into a tunnel leading to the door and fighting and activating switches to extend a bridge to get to the door. The last person or group has to guard a choke point where enemies will keep spawning. The enemies drop ammo boxes that can be picked up and tossed at the person(s) firing at the device to hold the door open. 

This all lead to a room where an enterprising major that has been taunting us all activity is trying to activate some doomsday device. The assault team heading toward the door are the only ones that will get to him for easy kill. But the challenge is there is a time limit, and sustained fire on the device is needed, so plenty of ammo is needed. 

Well of Radiance will not help you much, and if you use rally barricade or Luna faction you could run out of ammo too quickly before the other team tosses ammo boxes at you. 

As long as the enemies aren’t too easy they just created an encounter where supers aren’t the end all, single target DPS doesn’t matter, and nothing needed to be nerfed.

51 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Tier 2 Reckoning isn't a boss battle that requires Well of Radiance and Rally Barricades. The Hunt and The Riposte can be accomplished without Radiance, but it makes it 100x easier with it. None of those are bullet sponge encounters. The newest raid requires you to split into 3 teams of 2 in the final boss room and the more rally barricades and Wells you have the better.

Almost all of the raids that have been created so far require you to break up the team at some point or another. Well of Radiance is still the optimal super with luna being the optimal exotic in these situations. I'm not sure how this isn't a power creep issue, its the optimal super by a long shot in 90% of the game. I'm not arguing that they couldn't create more interesting encounters, but are you going to redesign strikes, patrols, adventures, and public events? Probably not.

EDIT: I guess in patrols and adventures its so stupid easy that it doesn't really matter what you use.

19 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Tier 2 Reckoning isn't a boss battle that requires Well of Radiance and Rally Barricades. The Hunt and The Riposte can be accomplished without Radiance, but it makes it 100x easier with it. None of those are bullet sponge encounters. The newest raid requires you to split into 3 teams of 2 in the final boss room and the more rally barricades and Wells you have the better.

Almost all of the raids that have been created so far require you to break up the team at some point or another. Well of Radiance is still the optimal super with luna being the optimal exotic in these situations. I'm not sure how this isn't a power creep issue, its the optimal super by a long shot in 90% of the game. I'm not arguing that they couldn't create more interesting encounters, but are you going to redesign strikes, patrols, adventures, and public events? Probably not.

EDIT: I guess in patrols and adventures its so stupid easy that it doesn't really matter what you use.

No, I say leave the old content the way it is. If new strikes have new designs, layouts, and mechanics that make certain strategies ineffective, then great. The older activities we can just burn through. I know I’m not looking forward to the next quest that makes me have to do somewhere between 10-40 strikes, those bosses taking half and hour because Bungie nerfed us until they felt good. 

10 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

No, I say leave the old content the way it is. If new strikes have new designs, layouts, and mechanics that make certain strategies ineffective, then great. The older activities we can just burn through. I know I’m not looking forward to the next quest that makes me have to do somewhere between 10-40 strikes, those bosses taking half and hour because Bungie nerfed us until they felt good. 

Considering how much Bungie has reused content in the past, its a bit of a far reach to expect them to completely redesign Shadowkeep from the ground up.

That also doesn't invalidate that part of Destiny's grind is doing a lot of old and new content over and over and over.

So you're options are either, shoehorn people into only doing new content where everything will get tiring much more quickly than it already is or have 75% of the game be Well of Radiance and Rally Barricades and 15% be whatever new content they come up with.

The nerf is the most viable option here, even if it wasn't a power creep.

I guess where I would be more accepting of the changes/nerfs would be if there was an in world, lore reason it is happening at all. Like a world event. Instead of my warlock just waking up finding his super and exotic changed to make him weaker there be a world event cause it. 

He wakes up and all guardians are suddenly overcome with a Hive curse. Our powers are acting weird, our exotics don’t seem to working like they should. 

We have to do “something” to cleanse all guardians of this affliction. Maybe that’s what the first successful completion of the Raid does. So for like a week we are all “feeling” strange and not ourselves. We are cleansed, but different from before. Maybe more powerful in some areas, less in others. Some abilities may even behave differently than before (like since getting my light back my Dawn Blade cannot resurrect itself)

Then afterwards we have to do mini-quests to cleanse all of our exotics. Once cleansed some are a little bit different than before. 

I dunno, something like that at least gives us some reason other than big daddy Bungie thinks we’re killing things too quickly.

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I guess where I would be more accepting of the changes/nerfs would be if there was an in world, lore reason it is happening at all. Like a world event. Instead of my warlock just waking up finding his super and exotic changed to make him weaker there be a world event cause it. 

He wakes up and all guardians are suddenly overcome with a Hive curse. Our powers are acting weird, our exotics don’t seem to working like they should. 

We have to do “something” to cleanse all guardians of this affliction. Maybe that’s what the first successful completion of the Raid does. So for like a week we are all “feeling” strange and not ourselves. We are cleansed, but different from before. Maybe more powerful in some areas, less in others. Some abilities may even behave differently than before (like since getting my light back my Dawn Blade cannot resurrect itself)

Then afterwards we have to do mini-quests to cleanse all of our exotics. Once cleansed some are a little bit different than before. 

I dunno, something like that at least gives us some reason other than big daddy Bungie thinks we’re killing things too quickly.

I think that would be a cool event for a season. Like the whole event is based on like dabbling in some unknown magic and you're gathering it all up and then the next season you find out its hive or taken magic and you have to spend a season cleansing yourself of everything you gathered.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

added the free to play version to my library this weekend since steam had preload available.  yikes 83ish gigs just for that before anything else added one.  i think its a total of 105ish with shadowkeep

I thought I saw 94GB with ShadowKeep, but yeah, the game file is HUGE now. Something Bungie brought up in a big state of the game write up. They’re actually worried the game will become too big. It’s why they decided for year 3 season activities will only be around for that season, then be gone. Unlike this year where forge, Reckoning, and menagerie stay after their season has ended. 

That would keep each season from making the game grow larger and larger. 

1 hour ago, Chickenstrip you so crazy said:

I don't know about you all, but the first mission made my jaw drop :shock:

I... barely remember it? I had a lot of trouble connecting so it was quite the interrupted experience. I'm glad we're finally apparently getting some payoff for things set up quite a while ago, or at least the promise of payoff.