Official Destiny 2 Thread - Blad's Best Friend Club, update: significant layoffs hit Bungie, including composer Michael Salvatori

NeoJoe

Does anyone have some general recommendations for getting to a higher light level?

I feel like I used my powerful gear far too early and I kind of capped out around 535/540, wondering if there are other ways to help get me higher (I can barley pass the nightfall with a friend, can't do shattered throne / ascendant challenges)

So far I've just started leveling a Titan until the reset and then I'll hop back on my hunter.

15 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Does anyone have some general recommendations for getting to a higher light level?

I feel like I used my powerful gear far too early and I kind of capped out around 535/540, wondering if there are other ways to help get me higher (I can barley pass the nightfall with a friend, can't do shattered throne / ascendant challenges)

So far I've just started leveling a Titan until the reset and then I'll hop back on my hunter.

Bounties, Crucible, Gambit, strikes and public events.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

Bounties, Crucible, Gambit, strikes and public events.

Yeah thats what I figured. I mostly just pick up all the bounties from the tower and petra and do as many of them until I don't want to do anymore.

I also actively avoid Gambit, I hate that every clan bounty is usually attached to that gamemode. I hate gambit with a passion :lol:

Oh Gambit is my fucking bane. Especially right now. I am at the level where I won't get experience unless I win, and I keep getting idiot team mates against 4 stacks. The game even puts me in matches in the second round on a team a round down, nowhere close to summoning a prime evil with the other team already fighting their prime evil. THANKS BUNGO, you dicks!

Anyways, keep an eye out for daily challenges for powerful gear. Even if it does require crucible or Gambit, it is just for match completion. But you could also get daily challenges for a strike, or a heroic mission on a planet. 

Oh also, tip I found out long time ago, completed bounties do not go away after a weekly/daily reset. So you can stack up completed clan and petra bounties and hold them until after the reset. Redeeming them all then and they count towards the new week. I do this and complete clan XP and Petra within minutes. Also go towards Ikora's 20 bounties weekly challenge. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Oh Gambit is my fucking bane. Especially right now. I am at the level where I won't get experience unless I win, and I keep getting idiot team mates against 4 stacks. The game even puts me in matches in the second round on a team a round down, nowhere close to summoning a prime evil with the other team already fighting their prime evil. THANKS BUNGO, you dicks!

Anyways, keep an eye out for daily challenges for powerful gear. Even if it does require crucible or Gambit, it is just for match completion. But you could also get daily challenges for a strike, or a heroic mission on a planet. 

I just dislike Gambit as a gametype, but yeah if powerful is involved I will power through it.

I've got too many instances of bad teammates/carrying/just overall BS that happens in Gambit.

Some people might enjoy it, but I don't.

So @Nokt following what I just posted, my general weekly cadence while leveling up was to do all the 520 things first. Once those were done I did the 540 things and so on. That way, even if I was above the soft cap in many cases, I would get all of my gear to generally the same level. Then I'd knock out the Dreaming City/Petra bounties for a bigger jump.

HOWEVER, If all of your gear is within 1 or 2 power of each other, then consider doing the 560, 580 and 600 activities first to get a big jump, then all of the easier, lower soft cap activities to bring everything else up. 

Some examples:

1) You are 534. Most of your gear is 537-539 but your helmet is 527. It would be better to do the 520 soft cap activities until you get a Helmet to drop at 535 ( +1 over your light), because it represents a + 8 difference). Now you should be 536-537 and you then do the 540 activities. Those will then start dropping 539-540 items instead of 535-537 ones because your baseline is now higher. Once those are done you then complete the 560, 580 and 600 cap activities (you'll notice that many of those you don't have to be that high of light to complete them, it is merely that their caps are higher) since those will give you > +5 light items. Once those are done you do the rest of the milestones to round out your gear that week.

2) All of your gear happens to be 540. Don't do the 520 and 540 soft cap activities first. You will only get 541 level items. Do the 560 - 600 cap activities first to get +5-10 items right off the bat. THEN do the 520 - 540 cap activities to get 545+ level items, representing greater gains for you.

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Anzo.

I'm pretty sure I have higher LL boots and helmet, I just don't use them because of the perks for crucible. I should swap them out when I do other activities, but I don't really care enough.

I'll probably need some clan peeps to help me out with anything 560 and above. I barley passed the nightfall with one of my friends who is even lower LL than I am. Impossible for me to do the ascendant challenges by myself or with my friend. I don't even do enough damage for me to have him just run around as a decoy. Clan bounties are about the only thing I can do. I'll have to hop in discord more often.

5 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Thanks @Anzo.

I'm pretty sure I have higher LL boots and helmet, I just don't use them because of the perks for crucible. I should swap them out when I do other activities, but I don't really care enough.

I'll probably need some clan peeps to help me out with anything 560 and above. I barley passed the nightfall with one of my friends who is even lower LL than I am. Impossible for me to do the ascendant challenges by myself or with my friend. I don't even do enough damage for me to have him just run around as a decoy. Clan bounties are about the only thing I can do. I'll have to hop in discord more often.

As long as you keep those higher light items in your inventory, they will be taken into account when other powerful gear drops. D2 is different from D1 in that sense. You don't have to wear them. Personally, I would just wear them even if the perks don't match what you want exactly. Don't worry so much about "builds" or specific perks until you are closer  to the 600 cap. If you get stuff that has good perks AND higher light then that's just a win-win. 

And if you happen to get a piece of gear that you like (weapon with a good roll, armor with desired perks) just hold onto it or put it in your vault and you can infuse it up later. 

6 minutes ago, Anzo said:

As long as you keep those higher light items in your inventory, they will be taken into account when other powerful gear drops. D2 is different from D1 in that sense. You don't have to wear them. Personally, I would just wear them even if the perks don't match what you want exactly. Don't worry so much about "builds" or specific perks until you are closer  to the 600 cap. If you get stuff that has good perks AND higher light then that's just a win-win. 

And if you happen to get a piece of gear that you like (weapon with a good roll, armor with desired perks) just hold onto it or put it in your vault and you can infuse it up later. 

Yeah I figured it still worked that way so I leave them in my inventory.

I usually get over competitive in Crucible so I take every advantage that I can. I usually just don't swap off that armor/guns unless I start struggling to kill enemies (like in the nightfall).

I'd help you blow through some stuff, but sadly I am of the Xbox Master Race and play on One X. Had D2 but supported cross play I could carry you through some activites. 

Honestly I found 540 was where the climb to 600 got much faster amd easier. At 540 activities in the Dreaming City start getting easier and you're able to get more and more powerful engrams. And Dreaming City powerful engrams boost high fast. Before you know it you'll be 560 doing Ascended challenges solo. 

@Nokt a couple things that helped me, I think. The Ikelos (escalation protocol) shotgun or the perfect paradox shotgun. They can help melt tougher enemies and bosses. 

Also for the Dreaming City, getting as close to a full set of Reverie Dawn armor. Yes without the transcended blessing mods you take 2% more damage per piece,  but you also gain 5% damage to enemies per piece. So you get up to a 25% bonus to your damage helping you kill stuff in the dreaming city faster. 

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I'd help you blow through some stuff, but sadly I am of the Xbox Master Race and play on One X. Had D2 but supported cross play I could carry you through some activites. 

Honestly I found 540 was where the climb to 600 got much faster amd easier. At 540 activities in the Dreaming City start getting easier and you're able to get more and more powerful engrams. And Dreaming City powerful engrams boost high fast. Before you know it you'll be 560 doing Ascended challenges solo. 

@Nokt a couple things that helped me, I think. The Ikelos (escalation protocol) shotgun or the perfect paradox shotgun. They can help melt tougher enemies and bosses. 

Also for the Dreaming City, getting as close to a full set of Reverie Dawn armor. Yes without the transcended blessing mods you take 2% more damage per piece,  but you also gain 5% damage to enemies per piece. So you get up to a 25% bonus to your damage helping you kill stuff in the dreaming city faster. 

I completely forgot about that mod, I think I have a couple from dismantling gear, and I could also go find the rest of those cats.

9 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I completely forgot about that mod, I think I have a couple from dismantling gear, and I could also go find the rest of those cats.

Transcendant Blessing mods are only found by completing Ascendant Challenge Bounties that randomly pop up after completing Ascendant Challenges. 

6 minutes ago, Anzo said:

Transcendant Blessing mods are only found by completing Ascendant Challenge Bounties that randomly pop up after completing Ascendant Challenges. 

Not the transcendant, the weaker version. Can't remember what they are called.

10 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Having the worst luck ever trying to do Ascendant challenge! All that debris while doing the 2nd jumping part.

That part has to be RNG with the platforms too. My first attempt had me seemingly going a ling way around. I ended up falling to my death. My second attempt and I only had to jump to 2 rocks and then the final platform with the chest. All the enemies were on unrelated rocks floating off to the side.