Official Destiny 2 Thread - Blad's Best Friend Club, update: significant layoffs hit Bungie, including composer Michael Salvatori

NeoJoe

2 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

@brucoe Try out Warframe which is F2P and they're always adding cool new stuff. It has PvP but as far as I know you can completely avoid it.

Yeah, I did try Warframe recently, too. Did the first mission (after the introductory mission), and felt somewhat underwhelmed by the whole experience. I'm sure there's a lot I might be missing of it so far, but its interface made it really difficult to figure out what to do, or even how to do it.

1 hour ago, brucoe said:

Yeah, I did try Warframe recently, too. Did the first mission (after the introductory mission), and felt somewhat underwhelmed by the whole experience. I'm sure there's a lot I might be missing of it so far, but its interface made it really difficult to figure out what to do, or even how to do it.

Crucible and gambit are the only PVP in Destiny that I'm aware of, though there are sub-types within them. Gambit is ok because there is still quite a bit of PvE, but I don't do much PvP either.

At 1010 you are in for a slow grind. Keep doing missions and bounties, try to get Pinacle gear and you'll make small jumps, as you get gear pieces that will be about +1 to +5 more than your current pieces.

Clan, i'm in a pretty active one - play on all the platforms. https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=742933 

Games like Destiny 2...hrm. Others mentioned Warframe, but I tried twice and just couldn't get into it. Borderlands 3 would probably be a good one, especially if you love loot. For more gameplay type stuff, minus the loot, I've always been a Halo fan, but never really played the PvP. Co-op campaign for life! Titanfall 2 has a fun campaign and it's probably 5-10 bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I held off on Shadowkeep :)

This is great for the fanbase on Xbox....and if they can get crossplay done, even better.Season passes must be making them good money.

Hopefully this means no more Sony exclusive/timed weapons!

Does anyone know if Bungie has talked about their approach to discoverability?

Since getting into Destiny 2, I've now put in 130 hours, which isn't a huge amount, but it's a sizeable chunk of game time. I've played through all the campaign missions, done most of the major activities, and (thanks to the clan) even done a few of the raids and other bits of end game content. At this point I'd say I'm pretty familiar with the both the gameplay, UI, and other mechanics of the game. Still, I'm regularly presented with obtuse quests that involve multiple steps that are only barely hinted at in game. Often these steps will themselves involve activities or items that themselves have little to no in-game guidance, often disappearing to a different part of the UI. I started a quest the other day and I've probably had to google a dozen different things just for, even with all the youtube walkthroughs and guides out there, because none of them covered every level of complexity.

This isn't just relegated to niche quests for special weapons though. Starting the game from scratch now it's hardly clear where to even begin. Introduction quests put you on random planets, out of order, that feature mechanics you couldn't possibly be expected to know. Simply following a campaign can be difficult thanks to the UI, and when it comes to more complicated seasonal mechanics, they're never clearly explained in game. I regularly take part in public events with relatively simple mechanics, where it seems many players are often confused as to how it works at all. Most of that can be learned through repetition and osmosis, but the more complicated quests are not just ciphers, but mazes of obscurity through every level of the game. I started writing down what my current quest requires, but after typing out three paragraphs I realized it's best to just say it's insane, and that no reasonable player could ever be expected to figure it out.

So, what is the purpose of this obscurity through complexity? The game has an excellent waypoint system, plenty of many part quests do have clear instructions all the way through. There's nothing that I can tell that prevents them from telling me where to go or what to do. Even if it was slightly cryptic and not a simple waypoint, that would at least be something. I played more than anyone's share of WoW, and while I often used outside resources, they were generally shortcuts rather than outright necessities. Other games like Division 1 & 2 clearly lead players through the game and the mechanics (UI, gameplay, and otherwise) that they need to know.

At first I wasn't sure if it was purposeful or if just didn't know the game well enough to pick up the signals it was sending my way. Now I'm certain it is purposeful, but I can't grasp the why of it. I bet the dedicated few that figure everything out enjoy discovering the secrets of a quest line or event, but that can't be even a full percentage point of their player base. Why send everyone who plays your game to outside resources to figure out how to play it? So much of the game is well considered, certainly they've thought through this and chosen this path, and I'd love to know what the thinking is.

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's when all of the original content is gone?

Not all the original content, just the locations of the Leviathan, Mars, Mercury, Io, and Titan. They will be vaulted until a later date. Any activities on those locations, like Strikes, will be unavailable. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

It's going to be real hard to do everything imo unless you end up playing all day everyday and not get bored of the grind.  We have a discord if you're committed with active players if interested.  How far along are you in the game?  

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

Here's everything being removed from Destiny 2 at the end of this season—it's a lot (PC Gamer)

This week, Bungie went into more detail about what is being removed from Destiny 2 at the end of this season, with the launch of Beyond Light. And, oh boy, it's a lot of stuff. You can see a full rundown of what's remaining in the This Week at Bungie blog post. Here, I'm going to run through what's leaving, and more specifically what it will mean for the game that remains.

Bungie has decided to remove the following:

Strikes:

• The Pyramidion
  • The Festering Core
  • Savathun's Song
  • Strange Terrain
  • Will of the Thousands
  • Tree of Probabilities
  • A Garden World

Gambit Maps:

• Cathedral of Scars (Dreaming City)
  • Kell's Grave (Tangled Shore)
  • Note: All Gambit Prime armour perks will be deprecated.

Crucible Maps:

• Meltdown
  • Solitude
  • Retribution
  • The Citadel
  • Emperor's Respite
  • Equinox
  • Eternity
  • Firebase Echo
  • Gambler's Ruin
  • Legion's Gulch
  • Vostok

Crucible Modes:

• Supremacy
  • Countdown
  • Lockdown
  • Breakthrough
  • Doubles (sadface, it was only once per year already)
  • Momentum Control*
  • Scorched*
  • *Probably will return sometime in Year 4

Dungeons:

• No current plans to vault Dungeons (yay)
  • Except The Prophecy (returning later)

Raids:

• Leviathan
  • Eater of Worlds (Leviathan)
  • Spire of Stars (Leviathan)
  • Scourge of the Past (Last City)
  • Crown of Sorrows (Leviathan)

Exotic Quests:

• Sturm
  • MIDA Multi-tool
  • Rat King
  • Legend of Acrius
  • Sleeper Simulant
  • Polaris Lance
  • Worldline Zero
  • Ace of Spades
  • The Last Word
  • Le Monarque
  • Jotunn
  • Izanagi's Burden
  • Thorn
  • Lumina
  • Truth
  • Bad Juju

Catalysts:

• Bad Juju
  • The Huckleberry
  • Izanagi's Burden
  • Legend of Acrius
  • Polaris Lance
  • Skyburner's Oath
  • Sleeper Simulant*
  • Telesto*
  • Outbreak Perfected*
  • Whisper of the Worm*
  • Worldline Zero*
  • *Will come out of vault at some point in new season with new ways to earn

Modes/Locations:

• Forges
  • Reckoning
  • Menagerie
  • Niobe Labs

Campaigns:

• Red War
  • Curse of Osiris
  • Warmind

Exotic Missions:

• The Whisper
  • Zero Hour

Planets/Locations:

• Mercury
  • Mars
  • Titan
  • Io
  • The Farm
  • The Leviathan
  • The Tribute Hall (why? This is the best test place...)

What else goes away when a destination gets vaulted?

• Story missions and cinematics
  • Strikes (detailed above)
  • Raids (detailed above)
  • Dungeons (detailed above)
  • Adventures
  • Secret missions
  • Vendors and associated bounties
  • Destination-specific patrols
  • Collectables & scannables
  • Destination-specific activities (Ex: Mercury’s Forge, Mars’ Escalation Protocol)
  • Freely roaming the destinations themselves, exploring Lost Sectors, etc.

3 hours ago, eggydoo said:

It's going to be real hard to do everything imo unless you end up playing all day everyday and not get bored of the grind.  We have a discord if you're committed with active players if interested.  How far along are you in the game?  

I'm not sure how to answer how far I am. I'm kinda lost on what to do after the last few updates. I have to make a full set of equipment I think to advance the story.

9 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm not sure how to answer how far I am. I'm kinda lost on what to do after the last few updates. I have to make a full set of equipment I think to advance the story.

Ah ok that sounds like the solstice armor which is a 3 week event.  Completely optional and somewhat grindy but if you like the armor design, go for it.

As a new player, I'd definitely do the story first.  If you talk to Amanda Holiday, lady in the hanger on the left, the legacy story missions are there.  It's possible they will be gone soon.  I believe it was hinted they may have it available as a separate download to play through but definitely don't quote me on that lol.

Goal now is just to use the highest power level gear you can get.  Max for this season is 1060 + 20 for the artifact (bottom left corner on your player equip screen).  Armor is mostly cosmetic until you get to a point you start looking at the stat rolls which is really mostly for the min/maxers.  I'd recommend getting Gnawing Hunger (void auto rifle) using umbral engrams.  It's a great overall weapon for PvE and PvP.  The game is mostly about the weapons tbh.

25 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I bought all the expansions/season stuff.

Ah nice, I would PM @Anzo to get invite to the discord channel.   There is a decent group of active players that run raids and such.  I've personally become more casual compared to the others in destiny 2.  But if you haven't done any of the story, I'd do then stat before they go away, especially you paid for it.

4 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Ah nice, I would PM @Anzo to get invite to the discord channel.   There is a decent group of active players that run raids and such.  I've personally become more casual compared to the others in destiny 2.  But if you haven't done any of the story, I'd do then stat before they go away, especially you paid for it.

What do you mean i haven't done any of the story? i'm on Shadowkeep where it says i need a full set of Dreambane armor.

If that guy is right, and they're rebuilding the vaulted content to some degree, I really hope they rebuild the content, not just the code from the ground up. If new areas in Beyond Light are functionally different (larger, allow more players, different types of activities, etc.), I really hope the old stuff comes back in a really upgraded way. 

Destiny 2 feels like a little game with MMO ambitions. There's absolutely more content than it seems, but so much of your time in game can be spent in a small number of places. Very few feel massive (that first M in MMO). The public area on Mercury is smaller than many of the open areas in strikes. I understand the need to build a game where there is a grind, but it wouldn't feel like nearly as much of a grind if I wasn't retracing my steps for every single activity.

My guess is that Bungie has plans for old content, but they haven't finalized those plans at all, which is why they're so quiet about what is happening to Vaulted content. Maybe they're still trying to figure out how much they'll be changing, or maybe they want to see the reaction to the new stuff in Beyond Light first. Either, way, I'm not surprised at their silence on the subject.

@Remarkableriots

I don't know how your progression in the game is coming, but a couple things I wish I'd looked out for much earlier in my play time:

-Use DIM

-As you collect armor, obviously you want to keep the items with the highest light level, but you also want to keep any items with really high stat rolls. You could find a piece of armor right now that has better stats than anything you'll find in the next 100 hours of playtime. So if you find something with total stats in the high 60s+, save it!

-When it comes to weapons, the same is true, but it's much more complicated. You could have a "god roll" on a weapon and have no idea. My strategy has been to just throw every purple gun in the bank, and sort through them later, but there's probably a better system. It's worth browsing through some of the pages on here and find out what the meta weapons are. I'm sure you're already collecting some of them. Certainly when you find one of those, regardless of the light level, make sure it's not a great roll before getting rid of it.