~*The Official Thread of One Term/Twice Impeached/Worst of Them All Presidential Tantrums, Candy Throwing, and Pants Shitting*~

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Don’t all SotU speeches have those types of approval numbers? 75-80% on average? It’s because the majority people who actually watch the whole thing live, and are subsequently polled, are already supporters of said President... or is this not accurate?

And his much of that poll is being "graded on the curve" for Trump?

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And his much of that poll is being "graded on the curve" for Trump?

Considering it’s DINOs, his base, and right leaning independents that are approving, I’d guess very little.

The approval ratings are in the same general margin as all other SotU speeches afaik. It seems silly to spin it in either direction. :shrug: 

Edit: I mean, I get what you’re saying, but the people approving of it are likely the same ones that shout “fake news!” when their doctor comes back with the CT results for their brain trauma.

39 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Don’t all SotU speeches have those types of approval numbers? 75-80% on average? It’s because the majority people who actually watch the whole thing live, and are subsequently polled, are already supporters of said President... or is this not accurate?

It depends on the "Independents" being polled. But 82% is quite high for a group that is "supposed" to not have any leanings one way or the other, especially for a CBS poll, I would have thought.

54 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Considering it’s DINOs, his base, and right leaning independents that are approving, I’d guess very little.

The approval ratings are in the same general margin as all other SotU speeches afaik. It seems silly to spin it in either direction. :shrug: 

Edit: I mean, I get what you’re saying, but the people approving of it are likely the same ones that shout “fake news!” when their doctor comes back with the CT results for their brain trauma.

This is exactly right, Obama's SOTU speeches were between 70-80% approved throughout his presidency, its mostly people that already agree with the president at the time, for instance the CBS poll had his immigration policies at 72% approval in the speech, and we know damn well 72% do not approve of his immigration policies.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It depends on the "Independents" being polled. But 82% is quite high for a group that is "supposed" to not have any leanings one way or the other, especially for a CBS poll, I would have thought.

They’re independents who agree with his policies. Basically, people who won’t put down they’re a republican, but vote republican.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They’re independents who agree with his policies. Basically, people who won’t put down they’re a republican, but vote republican.

Right, but 82% of all Independents agree with Trump's policies? The poll didn't say it was right-leaning Independents, just Independents in general, though I may have misinterpreted the poll. 

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Right, but 82% of all Independents agree with Trump's policies? The poll didn't say it was right-leaning Independents, just Independents in general, though I may have misinterpreted the poll. 

All independents? Huh? They only polled the ones who watched the speech, which, historically, the majority would be ones who agree with and like the current President. That’s my point: the poll after a SotU reflects nothing as those who watch and are polled are mostly ones that support the President giving said SotU.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'm sure the speech was fine but the stou don't change minds on policy or Trump himself so who cares in the end?

I don't know if this post was aimed at me or the thread in general (since it comes right after my post) but while I agree with your post, the poll is strange and I think we should care what Independents think to some degree. 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

All independents? Huh? They only polled the ones who watched the speech, which, historically, the majority would be ones who agree with and like the current President. That’s my point: the poll after a SotU reflects nothing as those who watch and are polled are mostly ones that support the President giving said SotU.

Is that a given? I wasn't aware that only Independents who agree with the President watch the SOTU. I watched it and I certainly don't agree with him (I'm technically an Independent), and clearly Democrats in the poll who watched it didn't either. So why would Independents vs. me or vs. Democrats be 82% for it by comparison?

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't know if this post was aimed at me or the thread in general (since it comes right after my post) but while I agree with your post, the poll is strange and I think we should care what Independents think to some degree. 

We shouldn’t, because it only reflects that 82% of Independents who watched were likely already supportive of Trump and holds no basis to what the majority of Independents actually feel. If you’re using this as a statistic for the general population then you’d also have to question why nearly 1/3rd of Democrats support Trump via the same polling data. :p 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Is that a given? I wasn't aware that only Independents who agree with the President watch the SOTU. I watched it and I certainly don't agree with him (I'm technically an Independent), and clearly Democrats in the poll who watched it didn't either. So why would Independents vs. me or vs. Democrats be 82% for it by comparison?

You’d fall into the 18%. Again, go look at literally all polls after any SotU. The majority (key word) who watch start to finish are those who already agree with whatever President is giving said SotU.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Is that a given? I wasn't aware that only Independents who agree with the President watch the SOTU. I watched it and I certainly don't agree with him, and clearly Democrats in the poll who watched it didn't either. So why would Independents vs. me or vs. Democrats be 82% for it by comparison?

Yes, its how it works, obviously viewers aren't going to be 100% supporters, but the majority are, just for reference CBS had a national approval poll in January where only 25% identified as Republicans, in their SOTU poll 43% of respondents did.  Its not an accurate make up of the US electorate, especially when Independents made up 30% and Democrats 24%.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I appreciate the insight, I understand better now. If that's the case, what fucking Democrats turn on the SOTU to agree with the President at this point?

The Joe Manchin's of the world? Dixie Democrats? 30% is considerable. 

DINOs and ones with the aforementioned brain damage :p 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The thread in general. But to add to the point others are making: that poll has selection bias in favor of the president.

• Thanks 1