~*The Official Thread of One Term/Twice Impeached/Worst of Them All Presidential Tantrums, Candy Throwing, and Pants Shitting*~

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Not only am I white, I am the whitest. The sun affects me like I have the first stage of vampirism in Elder Scrolls games, it’s terrible.

Do you glow in the dark? I do a little.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Irish people aren't white? 

They like to discuss archaic American perceptions of whiteness, which I always find weird because no one else in the world thinks that way. But yes, Irish immigrants were not considered white in America over half a century ago.

50 minutes ago, Jose said:

They like to discuss archaic American perceptions of whiteness, which I always find weird because no one else in the world thinks that way.

The reason I find it interesting is that a lot of people at most a couple of generations removed from the "No Irish Need Apply" signs are super fucking rabid about the "go back where you came from!" bullshit.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

They like to discuss archaic American perceptions of whiteness, which I always find weird because no one else in the world thinks that way. But yes, Irish immigrants were not considered white in America over half a century ago.

yeah I know that... I didn't know it was STILL a thing though. Italians and Polish folks weren't considered White in early anti-immigrant America too, right?

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

yeah I know that... I didn't know it was STILL a thing though. Italians and Polish folks weren't considered White in early anti-immigrant America too, right?

Yep.  Italians may as well have been from africa in the eyes of the American public.

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Basically, originally, if you weren't a WASP, you weren't white.

You know how American conservative evangelicals now weirdly embrace Russian Orthodox types as the saviors of whiteness? It's definitely an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Basically, originally, if you weren't a WASP, you weren't white.

You know how American conservative evangelicals now weirdly embrace Russian Orthodox types as the saviors of whiteness? It's definitely an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation.

Russian Orthodox types moved from "saviors of Christendom" to "saviors of the white race" seamlessly

50 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Hey I'm from Canada, that's like White+.

Edit - though I'm only 50% British by blood, the other is around 25% Polish, 12.5% German, 12.5% Ukrainian. So not pure.

My family is 100% from Northwest Spain, which was settled by Celts many years ago. My mom is even more light-skinned than me. She basically looks look the dude from Powder. 

2 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The most recent group to be "transactionally" embraced as "white" are Jews, many of whom are very much aware of the impermanence of it.

Appropriately, this whiteness is hyper-situational. We're white enough to benefit from stuff like white privilege when dealing with cops (not saying I disagree with this bit specifically, because generally we do), but we're still not white enough to get into the old-money country clubs, Manhattan coop buildings, etc.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

My family is 100% from Northwest Spain, which was settled by Celts many years ago. My mom is even more light-skinned than me. She basically looks look the dude from Powder.

I'm second generation (my grandparents on both sides were the immigrants) but I still think Christmas Day is a great day to travel because everything's dead and it's not my holiday, it's just the boring day when everything is closed so may as well kill my time on the plane or on the train or whatever. Meanwhile my ex is Muslim and from the UK, Indian immigrants on both sides, and her family loves Christmas just because of the cultural significance.

Like, we're integrated...until you get to stuff like Christmas and we just collectively draw a blank stare over feeling like it has nothing to do with us.

4 hours ago, Jose said:

Hell many on here think I'm not white and I'm probably the whitest dude here with MAYBE the exception of @Kal-El814

Eh maybe. My dad side is irish/italian mix (grandmother was half/half, grandfather was italian) with most of my mom side dates back to the mayflower and puritans with not much variance. Red hair and pale skin also runs in the family. If I don't get any sun some parts of me can get casper white. 

Another useless fact, I'm also loosely related to ty cobb (he's an uncle somewhere in the family tree). 

So many wypipo.

I'm first generation here from Puerto Rico. My parents both moved up here from the island in like the 70s. Their parents were also from the island along with their parents and so on going back to probably a bunch of African and Taino slaves that were raped by Spaniards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Eh maybe. My dad side is irish/italian mix (grandmother was half/half, grandfather was italian) with most of my mom side dates back to the mayflower and puritans with not much variance. Red hair and pale skin also runs in the family. If I don't get any sun some parts of me can get casper white. 

Another useless fact, I'm also loosely related to ty cobb (he's an uncle somewhere in the family tree). 

Oh. For some reason I’ve thought you were asian for like over a decade now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

So many wypipo.

I'm first generation here from Puerto Rico. My parents both moved up here from the island in like the 70s. Their parents were also from the island along with their parents and so on going back to probably a bunch of African and Taino slaves that were raped by Spaniards.

I've been meaning to ask you what type of Latino you were! Interestingly, I find with the Caribbean Latinos, they are absolutely obsessed with telling you how their abuela is from España as though that is something to be proud of? I don't get it. I have a very common last name on my dad's side (descended from rapists I guess), but not on my mom's side. They were too lazy to be conquistadores, yolo.

39 minutes ago, Jose said:

I've been meaning to ask you what type of Latino you were! Interestingly, I find with the Caribbean Latinos, they are absolutely obsessed with telling you how their abuela is from España as though that is something to be proud of? I don't get it. I have a very common last name on my dad's side (descended from rapists I guess), but not on my mom's side. They were too lazy to be conquistadores, yolo.

That pride is the result of systemic racism. Because of media portrayals and how good of a job you can get depending on how well you get some with white folk, you end up with this perverse cultural appreciation for all things more Caucasian. Straight hair is good hair and curly/nappy hair is bad. Lighter skin is prettier and darker skin is unfortunate. There's Puerto Rican slang specifically for people like my wife, that is white skin but with the super curly hair. She's also first generation Puerto Rican. When you get raised in Spanish-speaking churches, you meet people.

Either way, that's how you end up with folks that for some crazy reason are proud of their Spanish ancestry. Cause I guess it's better than remembering that you were all slaves and that your great great great grandmother from way back when was probably raped by Columbus and his buddies when she was ten.

• Like 1