~*The Official Thread of One Term/Twice Impeached/Worst of Them All Presidential Tantrums, Candy Throwing, and Pants Shitting*~

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/14/611116451/fatal-pedestrian-crashes-increasingly-involve-suvs-study-finds

"Although larger, heavier vehicles provide more protection to their occupants and thus have lower driver death rates per registered vehicle than smaller cars," the insurance report says, "previous research has found that SUVs and other light trucks and vans were associated with increased risks of severely injuring or killing pedestrians in an impact when compared with cars."

Per IIHS

I know we're talking about giant trucks now.... but yeah, so when he's talking about how Biden wants to destroy the suburbs as we know them, he's talking about black people moving to the suburbs.

Wonderful.

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I can still see when someone is walking in front of me, hence why most have never hit someone. Yes, on average a truck will do more damage, that doesn’t make them death machines. 

Most people don't get in accidents, period. But when they do you have to consider the consequences of the design of the vehicle

7 hours ago, Jason said:

e94-1714761.jpg

Now imagine that's a couple of kids in front of you in the crosswalk. Bullshit you'd be able to see them.

Okay first of all I agree with you guys in general about the anti-car sentiment and I don't really like this trend of trucks getting bigger and bigger either. THAT BEING SAID... it's pretty obvious some of you guys have never driven a pickup truck before. You're acting like the average truck driver is completely blind, incapable of any level of situational awareness and is driving over pedestrians left and right. Even in the case of that monster truck above (that thing absolutely has an aftermarket lift kit), while you wouldn't be able to see a kid that was literally a foot in front, you would see them before they walked in front of the truck and after, and under most circumstances you WOULD see them in front of your truck because they're not going to be literally one foot away from you. 

1 hour ago, SlipperySlope said:

Trucks should require additional driving certifications. 

If someone can:

A) be licensed to drive a passenger vehicle AND

B) be so unaware of what's going on around them that they would be likely to drive over someone directly in front of them, 

that speaks to a major problem in the licensing system itself that will not be solved by simply saying "pickup trucks need additional licensing." I am not okay with that person driving a Corolla. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

Okay first of all I agree with you guys in general about the anti-car sentiment and I don't really like this trend of trucks getting bigger and bigger either. THAT BEING SAID... it's pretty obvious some of you guys have never driven a pickup truck before. You're acting like the average truck driver is completely blind, incapable of any level of situational awareness and is driving over pedestrians left and right. Even in the case of that monster truck above (that thing absolutely has an aftermarket lift kit), while you wouldn't be able to see a kid that was literally a foot in front, you would see them before they walked in front of the truck and after, and under most circumstances you WOULD see them in front of your truck because they're not going to be literally one foot away from you. 

If someone can:

B) be so unaware of what's going on around them that they would be likely to drive over someone directly in front of them, 

that speaks to a major problem in the licensing system itself that will not be solved by simply saying "pickup trucks need additional licensing." I am not okay with that person driving a Corolla. 

Imagine that you're stopped at a stoplight, check ing your phone (as so many people do) get honked at for not going after the light turns green, you gas it to only hit someone right in front of you. Not out of the realm of possibility! It doesn't have to be a cell phone so don't get hung up on that point, it could be the radio or talking to a passenger. People aren't perfect and that's why we should engineer safety for, well, everything where humans have control.

I've driven dozens of types of cars when I used to travel for work, hell I owned a truck for about ten years, and I can tell you that trucks have great sightlines, they're not perfect and do have blind spots, and those can be very dangerous to pedestrians. This isn't controversial! And the research backs this up. 

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Imagine that you're stopped at a stoplight, check ing your phone (as so many people do) get honked at for not going after the light turns green, you gas it to only hit someone right in front of you. Not out of the realm of possibility! It doesn't have to be a cell phone so don't get hung up on that point, it could be the radio or talking to a passenger. People aren't perfect and that's why we should engineer safety for, well, everything where humans have control.

I've driven dozens of types of cars when I used to travel for work, hell I owned a truck for about ten years, and I can tell you that trucks have great sightlines, they're not perfect and do have blind spots, and those can be very dangerous to pedestrians. This isn't controversial! And the research backs this up. 

And we're living in an age where all sorts of safety features being engineered into cars that wouldn't be necessary if drivers were perfectly attentive, e.g. forward collision detection that will hit the brakes for you. So how exactly is it mindless car hating to suggest that the shape of the car itself matters too in helping reduce the impact of inattentive drivers, as they've long acknowledged and acted upon in Europe?

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

And we're living in an age where all sorts of safety features being engineered into cars that wouldn't be necessary if drivers were perfectly attentive, e.g. forward collision detection that will hit the brakes for you. So how exactly is it mindless car hating to suggest that the shape of the car itself matters too in helping reduce the impact of inattentive drivers, as they've long acknowledged and acted upon in Europe?

Car culture in this country is almost as dumb as gun culture.

We love our personalities being defined by the things we buy, don't we folks?

I haven't gone back far enough to see how trucks got into this thread, but I don't think I'll ever buy another car again. But I've never felt the need for a huge truck. Sure, the new GMCs look really nice, but I don't have a practical need for one. My midsized Colorado does everything I need to do. Same as my Frontier before that.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

To have such pictures displayed would promote the ridiculous idea that there has been other presidents.

As any right minded citizen knows, Donald Trump has always been president. Ever since he became a hero crossing the Delaware during the American Revolution and defeated the British.

crossing-the-swamp-ht-jef-180802_hpEmbed

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

To have such pictures displayed would promote the ridiculous idea that there has been other presidents.

As any right minded citizen knows, Donald Trump has always been president. Ever since he became a hero crossing the Delaware during the American Revolution and defeated the British.

crossing-the-swamp-ht-jef-180802_hpEmbed

The best part of that painting is how many people aren’t there anymore.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I agree that trucks should be engineered better. I just disagree that they should require a separate license. I also disagree that these blind spots themselves are some huge pedestrian killer. The research you linked to backs up that trucks are more likely to severely injure or kill a pedestrian when a collision occurs. It does not say in any way that the blind spots themselves cause collisions with pedestrians. Your link also said that the typical pedestrian fatality occurs mid block, on an arterial street, in the dark. Not the kind of scenario that being able to see exactly 1 foot in front of the bumper would prevent. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

As for pickup-on-car rear end collisions, look at how the pickup barely even looks damaged here, compared to how fucked up the sedan is:

web1_wilkeswreck1.jpg

This is a far more reasonable criticism, IMO. To add some context to that picture, that's a Toyota Tacoma (so not even a full-size truck) and it doesn't look lifted to me. The picture would be worse if it was a full size truck and far worse if it was a full size truck with a lift kit. 

9 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

If someone can:

On 7/17/2020 at 10:36 PM, SilentWorld said:

It does not say in any way that the blind spots themselves cause collisions with pedestrians

How could having a giant blind spot in front of the vehicle not result in collisions with pedestrians?

13 Investigates: Millions of vehicles have unexpected, dangerous front blind zone

It's worth reading the whole article but this graphic is the key point:

416a19b4-d305-45ca-b022-968e4c5831eb_114

• Shocked 1

Honestly I was more talking about the full size truck with the crazy ass lift kits that you can park a Mini under. So many people in my town claim that they are going to take them off-roading someday. Only to never do that, but that is the reason they spent oodles of money in after-market BS. My wife has done more off-roading in her Jeep Renegade than they have in their trucks.