~*The Official Thread of One Term/Twice Impeached/Worst of Them All Presidential Tantrums, Candy Throwing, and Pants Shitting*~

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

How does stealing a cheap hat qualify as a felony?

From the article:

Jail records indicate that Jimenez is being booked on a felony state charge for theft from person.

It sounds like taking it off the guy's head while he was wearing it is what bumped it up to a felony.

14 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

The guy is a douchebag, but that really seems to be stretching it. 

I agree, but I found what I think is the relevant section of Texas law and that really does seem to be what is says (I'm including the misdemeanor stuff to provide some extra context for how they're gradating things):

(e) Except as provided by Subsection (f), an offense under this section is:

(1) a Class C misdemeanor if the value of the property stolen is less than $100;

(2) a Class B misdemeanor if:

(A) the value of the property stolen is $100 or more but less than $750;

(B) the value of the property stolen is less than $100 and the defendant has previously been convicted of any grade of theft;  or

(C) the property stolen is a driver's license, commercial driver's license, or personal identification certificate issued by this state or another state;

(3) a Class A misdemeanor if the value of the property stolen is $750 or more but less than $2,500;

(4) a state jail felony if:

(A) the value of the property stolen is $2,500 or more but less than $30,000, or the property is less than 10 head of sheep, swine, or goats or any part thereof under the value of $30,000;

(B) regardless of value, the property is stolen from the person of another or from a human corpse or grave, including property that is a military grave marker;

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-31-03.html

Also, from the WaPo link:

In conversations with Trudeau, May and Merkel, Trump is sometimes assertive, brash and even bullying on issues he feels strongly about, such as trade, according to senior U.S. officials. He drives the conversation and isn’t shy about cutting off the allies mid-sentence to make his point, the officials said.

With Putin, Trump takes a more conciliatory approach, often treating the Russian leader as a confidant.