~*The Official Thread of One Term/Twice Impeached/Worst of Them All Presidential Tantrums, Candy Throwing, and Pants Shitting*~

22 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I genuinely think these people are beyond caring. His team gassed a bunch of people for the stupidest bible photo op and none of them cared. Short of Trump converting to Islam they're not going anywhere.

My guess is Islam would become very popular with those folks.

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

After seeing them line up behind Mr. Two Corinthians, I would fully expect converts. There's nothing they could do that would surprise me.

The response to his suggestion of merely getting vaccinated shows there is a limit to their depravity in the name of trump. If he were the cause of the republican party craziness out might work but seeing as he is a symptom that tells me there is a self sustaining ecosystem for this Christian fascist pablum

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The response to his suggestion of merely getting vaccinated shows there is a limit to their depravity in the name of trump. If he were the cause of the republican party craziness out might work but seeing as he is a symptom that tells me there is a self sustaining ecosystem for this Christian fascist pablum

We really can't know how this hypothetical plays out, but you make good points. Can't argue that this doesn't make sense.

• True 2

I know it won’t work this way, but in a more perfect world we’d realize that electing a lunatic to be the head of a military force armed with nuclear weapons is an enormous liability and we’d actively be working on reducing our arsenal and capabilities to a tiny fraction of what they are now.

Alas.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

All of this is very very bad, but the status quo being that we're a phone call away from one man issuing a nuclear strike is more bananas and nobody can convince me otherwise.

All General and Flag Officers are Senate Confirmed. During confirmation one of the quick routine questions is along the lines of "Under oath do swear to give the Congress your unbiased professional military opinion?"

My question, if the President of the United States is nuts, does a General Officer have an obligation to inform the Congress given that sworn statement?

You're not going to change the nuclear command structure. Deterrence requires it be quick and difficult to decapitate. What needs to change is our political institutions willingness to use it's authority. Milley can't get in a room with McConnel and Schumer during the impeachment to inform them the President is dangerous?

9 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

All General and Flag Officers are Senate Confirmed. During confirmation one of the quick routine questions is along the lines of "Under oath do swear to give the Congress your unbiased professional military opinion?"

My question, if the President of the United States is nuts, does a General Officer have an obligation to inform the Congress given that sworn statement?

You're not going to change the nuclear command structure. Deterrence requires it be quick and difficult to decapitate. What needs to change is our political institutions willingness to use it's authority. Milley can't get in a room with McConnel and Schumer during the impeachment to inform them the President is dangerous?

Without fear that McConnell just tells Trump about it? 

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Without fear that McConnell just tells Trump about it? 

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The minute that the CJCS or any other 4-Star tells anyone in Congress that the President cannot be trusted, they will fired, and replaced with an officer who has full confidence in the President. 

As they should, but it should set off political alarm bells that the house is on fire and the political institutions should deal with it. If it doesn't, that's on us.

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

Thread for thought:

Things like this back up my thought that there is no solution that will actually work to contain the power of the presidency, especially as CiC, other than cutting the budget of the security state to absolute ribbons; NSA, CIA, DOD, Homeland, and sparing only some parts of the FBI under a more limited jurisdiction to ensure civil rights are protected from state governments, along with cross border environmental, financial, labor, violent crime, and basically the ATF enforcement. Dismember all of the bullshit anti-terrorism laws that have gutted our civil rights and privacy.

I have other ideas to reform the presidency but these are the easiest ones (lol) but that even modest reforms such as the congress reclaiming it's constitutionally premier authority over the courts and president seem to be a bridge too far I'm not optimistic on things actually getting fixed

14 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

As they should, but it should set off political alarm bells that the house is on fire and the political institutions should deal with it. If it doesn't, that's on us.

Your real question is still why did Milley apparently not feel comfortable going to Congress about this, especially while McConnell was still in charge of the Senate, and the answer to that seems pretty obvious.

9 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Well, there’s the 25th Amendment if the prez is truly nuts, but you’re assuming we still have the political capacity to not abuse these checks and balances, when…

We don’t.

12 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Things like this back up my thought that there is no solution that will actually work to contain the power of the presidency, especially as CiC, other than cutting the budget of the security state to absolute ribbons; NSA, CIA, DOD, Homeland, and sparing only some parts of the FBI under a more limited jurisdiction to ensure civil rights are protected from state governments, along with cross border environmental, financial, labor, violent crime, and basically the ATF enforcement. Dismember all of the bullshit anti-terrorism laws that have gutted our civil rights and privacy.

I have other ideas to reform the presidency but these are the easiest ones (lol) but that even modest reforms such as the congress reclaiming it's constitutionally premier authority over the courts and president seem to be a bridge too far I'm not optimistic on things actually getting fixed

Dismantling the surveillance state and repealing the second amendment would save a tremendous amount of American lives, so naturally these will not happen.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Dismantling the surveillance state and repealing the second amendment would save a tremendous amount of American lives, so naturally these will not happen.

This country is such a death cult there's dozens of things we could do to save tens of thousands of lives every year and we simply won't because someone either has to make a buck or it makes things marginally more convenient

The idea that the Joint Chiefs of Staff was so alarmed that the President of the United States was making wild, baseless and completely false claims about election fraud and starting riots and doing all sorts of who-knows-what off-the-rails stuff like allegedly asking for military takeovers and was then forced to make calls to other powerful nations to calm them down about it because they were also freaking out isn't quite the political slam dunk the right thinks it is.

• Haha 2
  • True 1