The 2018 Game Awards (aka "The Geoffs") - Official Thread

SaysWho?

Celeste was too hard for my filthy casual hands. The self-hatred that game cultivated inside me was wonderfully exorcised during the story moments. I love-hate that game but certainly think it is great. 

Unrelated to Celeste, I also don't think that 1/5th of a game should be eligible for awards, regardless of how much I personally enjoyed it. 

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

I'm sorry, but the robot metaphor cannot and should not be used as an allegory for race, or any other marginalized group.  

"Are robots people" is an actual discussion that will eventually need to happen as tech advances and AI becomes more powerful.  At what point have we stopped emulating a thinking being, and at what point have we created one is actually a debate.  "Are these people actually people" is not a debate.  At all.  To even begin to conflate the two is both stupid and profoundly misguided. 

If we do things right, robots will be highly intelligent entities that are not people and not something for which "oppression" is a possibility.

Scifi often seems to think that the goal of AI is to make people. It's not. We can do that already.

(For clarity, I'm differentiating robots, purely artificial agents, from humans who have "upgraded" themselves into silicon should that ever happen.)

11 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Celeste was alright but I think GOTY is absurd for it, frankly. 

Celeste was fan-fuckin'-tastic. Sublime gameplay.

On the other hand, some overproduced bullshit like RDR2 is the direction I absolutely don't want games headed in. Unfun, sluggish gameplay where there's literally 11-12 dead frames from the second you slam your stick in any direction and literally ANYTHING happening on-screen. Pretty and Hollywood-y and not much else, aside from typical open-world jankery that's slightly more funny because of how good the game is visually.

They somehow made their newest game significantly less responsive than their last, and boy howdy the shit people will eat because it looks purdy or because of some schmaltzy-ass Rockstar story stolen straight from Hollywood.

I was leaning on RDR2 being a "good" game for a while, but the more I play it, the more I think it's just legitimately terrible. The art and production values don't just do all the heavy lifting, they do all the lifting, period.

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Obra Dinn only nominated for art direction and "best indie game"?

Man, the story in that game has hooked me more than any of the top-tier schlock we've had this year.

Fucking Detroit?

It's okay that you like shitty garbage, but don't try to convince us it's chocolate.

And it's ok that you're an idiot. 

I made no comment about it winning some award or another, but sorry, it's not garbage. Fact. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Man_of_X said:

I made no comment about it winning some award or another, but sorry, it's not garbage. Fact. 

It's the hottest of trash. It would be a bad movie, which is unfortunate, because it doesn't qualify as a video game. What is it? It's David Cage taking a hot shit right on your face. Pissing all over your intelligence, and insulting the very concept of writing and subtlety.

Man, I gotta host my own alternative version of the Game Awards, I'll be the video game version of Alex Jones!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Celeste was too hard for my filthy casual hands. The self-hatred that game cultivated inside me was wonderfully exorcised during the story moments. I love-hate that game but certainly think it is great. 

Unrelated to Celeste, I also don't think that 1/5th of a game should be eligible for awards, regardless of how much I personally enjoyed it. 

I stopped at the end of the ghost level early on.  Enjoyed it and plan on returning to it, but I know it'll drive the competitionist in me nuts.

I'll admit I had no idea what Celeste was when people started talking about it but I suspected... looked it up and I was right. A 2-D pixel art side-scroller like the dozens of games I played as a kid that i have next to NO desire to play as an adult. See when I was kid playing these types of games, I always wished and imagined that they looked and played like the modern games I'm playing now... You know, the GOW's and the Spidermans and YES the Red Dead Redemption 2's.

And if Red Dead Redemption is "Oscar bait" then Celeste seems to be the video game equivalent of the kind of indie film that regular folks never see but all of the critics and film elites SWEAR is the best thing since Citizen Kane :lol:... Gamers are so full of shit :lol:

By the way, I never played Celeste and I'm sure it's good for what it is... 12 year old me probably would have played the shit out of it :p

• Guillotine 1

Just now, Bacon said:

I mean, I don't think it was my goty, but Shovel Knight was better than the majority of AAA game in 2014 and would have no issues with it winning GOTY awards. 

I'm sure it was cool and a great game, same with Celeste...  I have no issues with folks liking those games. It's the psuedo-elitist, indie bullshit attitude that I'm pointing out. Reminds me of those folks that only  like indie bands and underground rappers and ridicule anything "mainstream". 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm sure it was cool and a great game, same with Celeste...  I have no issues with folks liking those games. It's the psuedo-elitist, indie bullshit attitude that I'm pointing out. Reminds me of those folks that only  like indie bands and underground rappers and ridicule anything "mainstream". 

There's many more psuedo-elistist, indie bullshit games that would better fit that description.  Celeste doesn't really come across that way to me.

It's pretty far removed from stuff like Braid and the Swapper.  Which are fantastic games in their own right, but also kind of full of themselves.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

There's many more psuedo-elistist, indie bullshit games that would better fit that description.  Celeste doesn't really come across that way to me.

It's pretty far removed from stuff like Braid and Swapper.  Which are fantastic games in their own right, but also kind of full of themselves.

Again, I'm more singling out the attitude and not the game itself. Also I'm salty that I no longer have the patience to see a game like this through :p

20 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Again, I'm more singling out the attitude and not the game itself. Also I'm salty that I no longer have the patience to see a game like this through :p

If you played it, you might find the difficulty more off-putting than the graphics.  It's quite literally Dangling Carrots: The Game.  The puzzles and execution challenges surrounding them are superb though.  It's one of the best designed platformers I can think of.

I'm glad I still can enjoy games like it.  Pixel art doesn't draw me to a game typically, but if I hear enough good things, I'm usually not disappointed. 

There's a few exceptions: FEZ and La Mulana didn't gel with me at all.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll admit I had no idea what Celeste was when people started talking about it but I suspected... looked it up and I was right. A 2-D pixel art side-scroller like the dozens of games I played as a kid that i have next to NO desire to play as an adult. See when I was kid playing these types of games, I always wished and imagined that they looked and played like the modern games I'm playing now... You know, the GOW's and the Spidermans and YES the Red Dead Redemption 2's.

And if Red Dead Redemption is "Oscar bait" then Celeste seems to be the video game equivalent of the kind of indie film that regular folks never see but all of the critics and film elites SWEAR is the best thing since Citizen Kane :lol:... Gamers are so full of shit :lol:

By the way, I never played Celeste and I'm sure it's good for what it is... 12 year old me probably would have played the shit out of it :p

Oh ive got no love for the modern wave of throw back pixel games either. If you’re going do to a side scroller and you want me to play, make it look like Ori or Rayman not Mario 1. Throwback nostalgia holds no weight for me in the video game world like it does in other genres.