Trump reportedly is joking about pulling the US military out of NATO, and no allies are laughing

On 6/28/2018 at 10:59 AM, TwinIon said:

I feel like with every new story Trump is making the founding fathers look like real idiots? Really, the executive has the power to make this kind of decision unilaterally? Was it really a good idea to make the foundation of our legal system dependent on when a few old folks either die in office or get close to it? Is this really a system of checks and balances?

I'm pretty positive that if you gave the founding fathers a glimpse of the country today it'd be fairly clear to them that they fucked some stuff up. The maddening people are the people who live in the here and now who won't so much as entertain the idea that certain things could be improved upon. I mean... the goddamn Bill of Rights is a set of amendments. The rights that we consider the most sacrosanct are all things that they forgot to put in the first time

'Trump is ours!': Russian state TV celebrates Trump's suggestion that Crimea is part of Russia

At the end of the program, "60 Minutes" co-host Olga Skabeeva triumphantly declared "Crimea is ours! Trump is ours!"

Crimea, a peninsula that juts out south of Ukraine into the Black Sea, has been contested territory between Russia and Ukraine for centuries. It was part of Ukraine until 2014, when Russian President Vladimir Putin invaded and annexed Crimea with the help of pro-Russian separatists.

The annexation of Crimea led to widespread international condemnation, sanctions, and Russia's expulsion from the G8. The vast majority of UN member states, including the US, recognizes Crimea as Ukraine's rightful territory.

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

While you guys are trying to hit that 2% GDP mark, why don't you go ahead and make that 4% instead.

“President Trump, who spoke, raised the question not just to reach 2%, today, but set a new target - 4%. He just left after he announced that,” Bulgarian president Rumen Radev told reporters, according to BNR public radio.

• Guillotine 1

It's amazingly coincidental that Germany wasn't controlled by Russia, until people started suggesting the US was controlled by Russia. Just like the mainstream media wasn't fake news, until people started suggesting that much of right wing news is legitimate fake news.

This president is a master of projection. It's so transparent.

3 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Putin is laughing his ass off at how well this is all going. :/ 

Either Trump colluded with Russia, or Putin is the luckiest guy in the world. 

"Hey, totally by accident the American president is doing literally everything I wish he would do."

I mean, that's so highly suspect I wonder why that's not what everyone is talking about. 

59 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

While 60% of germany's natural gas comes from Russia only 20%of its total energy is natural gas, and that comes out to around 9% of its energy coming from Russia, Trump of course claimed it was 70%.

Trump doesn't understand how percentages within percentages works with regard to subsets and the overall set. 

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't mind this at all, to some degree, I understand the point.

He should be 3x as harsh on Russia though, yet . . . 

Weird. He chastises Germany for doing a deal with Russia, but then doesn't ever chastise Russia directly? It's like, hate your friends for working with your enemies but don't hate your enemies? 

40 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I hate Trump’s style. I agree NATO needs to increase their spending to 2%, but I despise throwing up tariffs and talking shit to our Western friends. 

Agree with this 100%. I mean it's been said already but when several countries know we'll come to their aid if anything major happens they lose that incentive to contribute.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Especially when you slap steel and aluminum tariffs for "national security" reasons 

Trump: slaps tariffs on allies because they're a national security threat

Also Trump: wants allies to increase military spending