Detective Pikachu Discussion Thread

Pikachu

I'm conflicted about how big I expect this movie to be. I think it looks pretty decent, and obviously pokemon is a pretty big deal. Still, there just aren't many live action PG movies to compare this to. Most of the highest grossing PG films are animated, and there isn't a clear touchstone from those that are left. Looking at the all time list, we have:

Beauty and the Beast

Star Wars

ET

Jungle Book (2016)

Alice in Wonderland

Harry Potter

Home Alone

The Grinch

On the one hand it seems like it should be able to out-gross The Grinch (which I did not realize made so much), but it also doesn't seem like it's going to be bigger than the Harry Potter movies. So I don't know. Somewhere between $200M and $400M?

From the impressions I've read, it seems the films biggest strength is in its portrayal of a world full of real life pokemon, and that scans with my expectations.

Not sure when I'll get around to this one, but I'll probably catch it in theaters.

I saw this with my kids. It was okay. The plot was a hot mess. The world they built was pretty cool though. I kinda wish they had made a more traditional Pokemon movie in this style rather than this goofy detective thing. It takes a weird turn in the last half hour.

Yeah, this was a fun movie. It certainly seems like a movie built for fans of the first Pokemon movie. Mewtwo's entire existence would have been hard to follow had you only this movie to go off. I had seen one review that started that it was cool that this movie isn't at all embarrassed that it's a Pokemon movie and I'll echo that sentiment.

Not great, but certainly pretty good. I'd watch a sequel and it looks like the movie may have done well enough to warrant one.

36 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, this was a fun movie. It certainly seems like a movie built for fans of the first Pokemon movie. Mewtwo's entire existence would have been hard to follow had you only this movie to go off. I had seen one review that started that it was cool that this movie isn't at all embarrassed that it's a Pokemon movie and I'll echo that sentiment.

Not great, but certainly pretty good. I'd watch a sequel and it looks like the movie may have done well enough to warrant one.

A good comment I saw on reddit was that the reason videogame and superhero movies are finally starting to work is that the people in charge actually grew up with the source material, and so understand things like "everyone knows Snorlax is a narcoleptic, there's no need to explain how he wound up sleeping in the middle of the street." 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

A good comment I saw on reddit was that the reason videogame and superhero movies are finally starting to work is that the people in charge actually grew up with the source material, and so understand things like "everyone knows Snorlax is a narcoleptic, there's no need to explain how he wound up sleeping in the middle of the street." 

That reminds me of this review which is the complete opposite of everything you just said.

It's very clear that the folks behind this movie were familiar with the source material and knew the people watching would be as well. That's the opposite of what the Sonic movie looks to be doing.

47 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That reminds me of this review which is the complete opposite of everything you just said.

It's very clear that the folks behind this movie were familiar with the source material and knew the people watching would be as well. That's the opposite of what the Sonic movie looks to be doing.

Much about Sonic, including many of his games, has always sucked. So they're probably going to stay true to the material, at least. :p

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Detective Pikachu is a bizarre place to begin what could very well become a cinematic universe of live action Pokemon films. It feels more like the kind of spin off that a studio makes long after having made the more traditional entries in the series. X-Men started with the standard heroes, then moved on to solo films with Wolverine and Deadpool. Marvel began with the well known characters before splitting off to do smaller films like Ant-Man or largely disconnected films like Guardians. Sony rebooted Spider-man three times before spinning off Venom. This isn't to say that Pikachu is a minor character, but the choice to do a noir-ish detective film rather than something more identifiable as a "traditional" pokemon story, still feels like the spin-off from a long lasting film series.

It functions that was as well. The world is given very much in media res, with virtually no explanations or setup. There are pokemon everywhere, and for someone a decade or two removed from their last pokemon game, the simple joy of seeing them in the world was less compelling than it might otherwise be. To the film's credit, the effects for the pokemon are outstanding. As we've seen with the Sonic trailer, translating simple video game characters to live action can be troublesome, but even the most bizarre and non-sensical pokemon are rendered with consistency and care.

Unfortunately, the same can not be said for the plot. The film traverses some typical noir tropes, and plays out like a rather standard mystery, but the mystery itself lacks motivation or logic. Side characters and villains feel like they're straight out of the cartoon, rather than the meticulously rendered PG Blade Runner world of the film. The one character who does seem to match the gravity of the story they're trying to tell is Justice Smith's Tim. Smith is perhaps the only actor who seems like he knows what film he's in, rather than the film that the mere mention of Pikachu would conjure. 

Ultimately, for whatever dressing of something more, this is a children's film. For any kid that would get a rush out of seeing a sleeping snorelax, I'm sure Detective Pikachu would be a treat. The rest of us will have to ponder why so much care was put into using this world to tell this particular story.

*Spoilers*

One last bizarre decision is to end the film in a place where Pikachu can no longer communicate with Tim. It seems like it would horribly complicate any potential sequels, and it completely reverses the entire dynamic of the film and the arcs of the main characters.

• Thanks 1