Detective Pikachu Discussion Thread

Pikachu

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2018 at 5:50 AM, Mercury33 said:

So after actually watching the trailer I uhhh kinda wouldn’t mind seeing this. 

Also Ryan Reynolds has always only been able to play Deadpool. He’s been playing that character since 2 Guys and a Girl. 

This was my reaction upon seeing the trailer while waiting for the Broly movie to start. I'm still kind of dubious but it actually looks like it might possibly be okay, which I was not expecting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reputator said:

OK yeah I need to see this. I feel like I'm 12 when I see that trailer.

My wife audibly squealed loud enough to scare our kids when Mewtwo burst out at the end of the trailer. These trailers have done a great job of making feel like their kids again. The slow-mo remix of the Pokemon theme to start the trailer doesn't hurt either.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Given the writers and director involved, I don't think this will ultimately be any good, but it certainly looks . . . interesting, I think?

The best comparison we can make is probably Goosebumps and that was better than expected. Not great, but solidly entertaining. If we get solidly entertaining out of this movie, I'd consider that a success.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The best comparison we can make is probably Goosebumps and that was better than expected. Not great, but solidly entertaining. If we get solidly entertaining out of this movie, I'd consider that a success.

I agree, but that means nothing to me since I want an actual good movie. :p 

To be fair, kids liked Goosebumps, and this is for them, not me. Hopefully it is better than Goosebumps though, even for the intended age brackets. 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree, but that means nothing to me since I want an actual good movie. :p 

To be fair, kids liked Goosebumps, and this is for them, not me. Hopefully it is better than Goosebumps though, even for the intended age brackets. 

If you go into 'Detective Pikachu' hoping for an 'actual good movie' then you deserve what you get.

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

If you go into 'Detective Pikachu' hoping for an 'actual good movie' then you deserve what you get.

I expect/demand every movie to try and be an actual good movie, whatever that means for that film, of course. There are measures I am willing to accept, of course, but hot garbage is hot garbage regardless of what property it's coming from. 

The Lego Movie was better than it had any right to be, and proves you can take any property or premise and make it good depending on how you approach it, etc. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...