Toy Story 4 - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Reviews)

SaysWho?

It was incredible. 

I almost didn’t want to go see it. I just knew this movie was going to be emotionally manipulative.

I was RIGHT and it was sooooo good. 

It had me leaving the theater wondering if an animated movie could ever win Best Picture.  Toy Story 4 should definitely be in the running. 

I loved it. After Toy Story 3 I had no clue how the franchise could forward after that ending but now I realize just how wrong I was. This ties the bow on a certain storyline in a way I found actually more satisfying than the ending of 3 (even though that ending is more devastating in general, at least to me).

The new elements are welcomed and keep the franchise fresh without standing too far apart. Forky was surprisingly endearing and offers some interesting philosophical wrinkles into the Toy Story world.

Key and Peele’s characters were hilarious and perhaps gave the biggest laugh of the year during one particular bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if we found out they had a hand in writing some of their dialogue and comedic beats.

I would say more but then we’re getting into spoiler territory.

Now that I live in the same city as my sister and niece, I usually go to see these movies with them. Unfortunately, my niece (who just turned 11) has never seen a Toy Story movie. This is a parenting (and I suppose uncleing) fail, for sure. And since they are off traveling and living fulfilling lives or whatever, they probably won't get caught up any time soon. So I'm gonna be the solo creeper at the 10PM show tonight.  :twothumbsup:

That was a terrific movie. If you're worried at all about the movie after TS3 ended so perfectly, don't be. The story was not just worth telling; it was a story that I didn't know I wanted to see. You really can see TS3 as the conclusion to Andy's story after 4. 4 is not a sequel for a sequel's sake; it's a movie that may have the best ending of the series.

It's interesting because TS3 probably had the most grandiose climax of any of the movies, but I'd say 4 is just as emotionally charged, maybe even more. None of that is a slight to 3, which is wonderful in all aspects.

6 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Key and Peele’s characters were hilarious and perhaps gave the biggest laugh of the year during one particular bit. 

I laughed so hard during that entire thing that my friends and people around me started laughing more at me because I could not breathe. 

It was amazing.

Loved it, like I think any human would. I don’t know if I have many original thoughts to add to the conversation. 

It wasn’t until I heard the original theme song early in this movie that I fully appreciated just how much these movies have been a part of my life. The original hit me as a young kid, the second when I was in elementary school, 3 after my first year of college, and now 4, when I’m a directionless piece of trash trying to find my place in the world. 

49 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The part of this movie that wrecked me the hardest 

Hide contents

Buzz: “She’ll be ok.

... Bonnie will be ok.”  

It was “I love you 3000.” times 10. :cry:

Spoiler

Woody and Buzz's hug, while it didn't wreck me (I've only cried once in a movie), made me feel the most emotional. It's similar to saying bye to Andy, but since Buzz and Woody interact with each other and know they're alive, it felt like an end of an era.

I was skeptical when they first announced this movie, and how they would follow with Toy Story 3's perfect ending, and felt like a needless sequel, but damn it, Pixar pulled it off. Not sure if they could make a Toy Story 5 though. 

Forky was such a great character, and I loved Ducky and Bunny. 

I really enjoyed it. It's continuously surprising to me that they managed to make a truly worthwhile sequel with new characters and new story beats. Some of the characters get sidelined, but that's not really anything new for the franchise. Overall a very enjoyable and worthy addition to the franchise.

14 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I really enjoyed it. It's continuously surprising to me that they managed to make a truly worthwhile sequel with new characters and new story beats. Some of the characters get sidelined, but that's not really anything new for the franchise. Overall a very enjoyable and worthy addition to the franchise.

I read some people were disappointed that the old guard didn't have more time to do anything since they realized how many funny moments came from them. And I get it -- Rex, Potatohead (rip Rickles), Slinky (rip Varney, though the new VA is perfect for the role), Mrs. Potatohead, they're all great. But part of what I enjoyed is how they kept introducing new characters. Bonnie's toys in 3 were great, especially Pricklepants. The new ones here are wonderful.

So eh, it's gotta be done. At least they gave Bo a ton to do for once!

19 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I read some people were disappointed that the old guard didn't have more time to do anything since they realized how many funny moments came from them. And I get it -- Rex, Potatohead (rip Rickles), Slinky (rip Varney, though the new VA is perfect for the role), Mrs. Potatohead, they're all great. But part of what I enjoyed is how they kept introducing new characters. Bonnie's toys in 3 were great, especially Pricklepants. The new ones here are wonderful.

So eh, it's gotta be done. At least they gave Bo a ton to do for once!

I can see that people might be upset by that. Part of going to a sequel is to see the characters that you already know and love once again. Still, I appreciate that this film was willing to move on. It's pretty important to the overall theme, and what little time the old guard did have was well spent. 

It might have bothered me if the new characters weren't entertaining or if it felt like wheel spinning, but I don't think either was the case. Bo was awesome, and Bunny/Ducky were hilarious, and they all got a good deal more screen time than I expected.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The part of this movie that wrecked me the hardest 

Reveal hidden contents

I was hanging on for dear life knowing this coming. But when he dropped that line I absolutely lost it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I watched it again yesterday. It's always great to watch a movie you loved a second time to see if you were just riding a high that first time at the jokes.

Watching it again, Toy Story 4 is a great example of how much Pixar has evolved. Compare all the camera shots in the first to this one, and there's just no comparison.

1. The bottom of the car in the beginning where Bo and Woody talk looked fantastic. The framing, the depth-of-field, it made the bottom of a fucking car seem grander than it should be.

2. When the dummy is pushing Woody and Forky in the carriage as they talk to Gabby Gabby, the camerawork is really good. The dummy's slightly out of focus behind them as they pass by the now slightly out-of-focus aisles, and it feels significantly more claustrophobic. 

3. The walk down the road with Woody and Forky was WAY better than I remember it, and I already had a good memory of it. The extended shot of them just talking in the lonely road, the physical comedy with Forky, the want to be carried, it's some seriously good shit.

4. Giggle McDimples is hilarious and has a great introduction.

5. Key and Peele brought the house down once again for my showing. The plush rush/winner winner chicken dinner "three scenarios" scene killed everyone again, as did the explanation as to how they actually got the keys. I want to know who the fuck originally thought of that idea; the credits should have been double the time and just had that guy or gal's name listed over and over for the first half as a thank you.

6. I stayed for the scene after the credits. lol

7. This may be the funniest Toy Story movie. That's saying a lot as all of them are very funny. 2 had other Buzz playing ball with Emperor Zurg, for fuck's sake.

3 and 4 really pushed what Toy Story could be. I feel they became more and more creative with the movies by 2010 considering their experience with upper-tier films like Ratatouille and WALL-E. In 3, the whole, "You and your friends are never getting out of here," scene, with the quick cuts to the doors and the monkey's introduction, felt so different than what I had seen in 1 and 2. Ken's introduction, the whole Dream Weaver song playing immediately when Barbie and Ken see each other, Ken's poses, you could tell these guys were having a lot of fun.

Same with 4. I don't know who put the, "How do we get that key?" scene into the movies, but it's great, and it hadn't been done in the TS universe. I don't know who decided to have Duke Caboom's flashback into the film, or his owner popping up as he tried to make that jump, but it all worked and I'm glad they did.