Toy Story 4 - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Reviews)

SaysWho?

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

So I'm curious, as someone who hasn't seen the prior 3, should I go check this out!?

You should watch the first 3 and then this one. Each movie is only about 90 minutes, so you can get caught up over the weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

So I'm curious, as someone who hasn't seen the prior 3, should I go check this out!?

37 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

You should watch the first 3 and then this one. Each movie is only about 90 minutes, so you can get caught up over the weekend.

Using my Google machine, it's:

Toy Story 1 - 81 minutes

Toy Story 2 - 1 hour, 35 minutes

Toy Story 3 - 1 hour, 49 minutes

Toy Story 4 - 1 hour, 40 minutes

TS1 is really short compared to later Pixar movies, though really it's only 14 minutes shorter than the second.

TS3 is more the length of movies like Ratatouille and The Incredibles, and it's worth it. It's my favorite of the movies so far.

51 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Never realized how short the first Toy Story. It feels like a much longer film. I see Toy Story 3 at 1 hour 43 minutes on IMDB and 1 hour 32 minutes for Toy Story 2.

It's possible IMDB isn't including the credits, which is why both are slightly shorter than what I found.

6 minutes ago, Reputator said:

You're really missing out not having seen any of them.

How are you feeling about TS4 based on the impressions? I feel like you've been more cautious about it, and I was for a while, but the minute @sblfilms raved on the 15 minutes he saw and read a bit about what the director said about the film, I was way more optimistic.

21 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

How are you feeling about TS4 based on the impressions? I feel like you've been more cautious about it, and I was for a while, but the minute @sblfilms raved on the 15 minutes he saw and read a bit about what the director said about the film, I was way more optimistic.

I watched Stuckmann's review and I was really encouraged by some of the things he said, like that they took risks, there was an unexpected twist with the villain, and that they actually had something meaningful and important to say about these characters that took it beyond just being another adventure. And even that some of the humor went back to the crass roots of the original, instead of being a squeaky clean Disney movie for the kiddies.

So yeah I think I'm onboard now.

30 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I watched Stuckmann's review and I was really encouraged by some of the things he said, like that they took risks, there was an unexpected twist with the villain, and that they actually had something meaningful and important to say about these characters that took it beyond just being another adventure. And even that some of the humor went back to the crass roots of the original, instead of being a squeaky clean Disney movie for the kiddies.

So yeah I think I'm onboard now.

I may know the thing with the villain, but only because my Disney-obsessed co-worker was theorizing things with me that made a lot of sense. :p 

But that sounds very similar to what the director said. No spoilers, but when he opened up at CinemaCon(?), he said that he realized TS3 seems like the perfect ending to the franchise, but it was more an end to Andy's story. He seemed cognizant of people's opinions on TS3 and wanted the audience to know that they had places they wanted to explore with this film.

Add to that what you said, and I'm really looking forward to it. Going Saturday next week!

20 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

That's a little disappointing. I always enjoy their shorts, and they add value to the ticket price. 

When Day & Night finished before Toy Story 3, my friend and I looked at each other and said, "Welp, that was great. We got our money's worth let's go!"

Now that TS4 is officially the greatest movie of all time, will we share with our grandkids where we were when we saw the film? Will a study of film history begin with Toy Story 4 and then go back to Fred Ott's Sneeze?

Fred_Ott_Sneeze_L.gif

And then delve into more silent films? The jury is out.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:55 PM, sblfilms said:

I like the shorts as a throwback, but there really aren’t many I have particularly strong memories of.

even though they were Pixar, I loved the ones before Big Hero 6 and before Wreck-it Ralph

the one before BH6 was Feast and featured the puppy that was chowing down on everything with his owner, and the one before Wreck-it Ralph was Paperman about the wind blowing paper around, bringing two people together.