Well isn't this a chucklefuck.

US troops deployed along the US border will miss Thanksgiving and are basically living in tents with generators, eating MREs...  

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/10/us/deployed-inside-the-united-states-the-military-waits-for-the-migrant-caravan.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR2KeAKKBHj72qb3HBOHjqhFezu4HejFz70m-oxqzX6_JZlrW_cyok6oQpA

As it was at the bases in those early war zones, electricity at Base Camp Donna is scarce except to power lights and communications gear. In the last several days, the soldiers installed a small shower tent. Men and women have set hours for bathing. Permitted shower length: seven minutes.

There is no mess hall, just the brown, prepackaged M.R.E.’s. Military police officers patrol the perimeter at night, armed with handguns. The tents sleep 20 soldiers and have no electricity or air-conditioning. Phone charging is relegated to a few generators that power the spotlights around the living area.

Unlike in Iraq and Afghanistan, however, the troops do not receive extra combat pay. Nor is there hostile fire pay, since the troops will not be interacting with the migrants.

I'm guessing they'll wait for it to be a little longer past the midterms to make it slightly less obvious and then quietly announce that they've "reassessed the mission parameters" or some shit like that and basically send them all home. They already dropped the "Operation Faithful Patriot" name the day after the election.

4 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I'm guessing they'll wait for it to be a little longer past the midterms to make it slightly less obvious and then quietly announce that they've "reassessed the mission parameters" or some shit like that and basically send them all home. They already dropped the "Operation Faithful Patriot" name the day after the election.

I'm pretty sure this is whats going to happen to, but my god is this stupid.

Meh, thats how basecamps are generated on the fly...

troops in the field are used to this and in a camp like Donna the support units build infrastructure... its a non-story..

i know the word deployment is freely used... but this is a mobilization..

hot army chow eventually starts getting served.. its only been a week and a half

6 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Meh, thats how basecamps are generated on the fly...

troops in the field are used to this and in a camp like Donna the support units build infrastructure... its a non-story..

i know the word deployment is freely used... but this is a mobilization..

hot army chow eventually starts getting served.. its only been a week and a half

I think it is less about the conditions themselves and more that they could be comfortable and possibly at home during a major family holiday if not for this political stunt to make the immigration issue seem more dire than it really is, and play to a base so scared of anything dark they jump at their own shadow.  

21 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I think it is less about the conditions themselves and more that they could be comfortable and possibly at home during a major family holiday if not for this political stunt to make the immigration issue seem more dire than it really is, and play to a base so scared of anything dark they jump at their own shadow.  

Its a play to both i suppose...

it uses the conditions (and peoples misunderstanding of how these camps go) to further highlight how unfair, costly and stupid the stunt is..

i agree