Mueller Season 3: The End Game

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

This sounds like something that I missed.

I remember that Papadooplex's wife did a media round after he got time in prison where she bad mouthed the Special Cousel for being unfair(even though he got a very short sentence).

What is that Tweet of hers responding to him, though? Did they have a break up that I missed where she starting blaming things on Georgie boy? 

Nancy Pelosi just handed Republicans veto power over impeaching Trump

I wrote Monday — and I still believe — that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s attempt to all but close the door on impeaching President Trump is smart politics. Impeachment is a messy business with potentially more downside than upside. Even if Democrats removed Trump, they’d still have a President Pence. And Pelosi (D-Calif.) has a ready-made argument for why impeachment is unnecessary: The voters can simply decide all this in a 2020 campaign that has already begun. It all makes complete sense.

But practical political considerations are one thing; the standard that Pelosi set for impeachment is another. In describing her opposition to it to The Post’s Joe Heim, she said this:

"... Impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path, because it divides the country. And he’s just not worth it."

But let’s think about what that means, practically speaking: It means Democrats are effectively giving the Republican Party veto power over whether Trump should be impeached. They are saying that, even if the evidence is damning in their minds, unless Republicans agree, they shouldn’t move forward. Their impeachment standard isn’t so much the Constitution’s “high crimes and misdemeanors” but rather “high crimes and misdemeanors that Republicans agree upon.”

It’s theoretically possible that something would emerge — either from these House investigations, special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation or the Southern District of New York — that could build that bipartisan consensus. But Trump and his allies have built a firewall against all that. They have convinced a strong majority of the Republican Party (71 percent) that Mueller’s investigation is a witch hunt. The Republican Party has largely shrugged off Trump being implicated in a bona fide crime — Michael Cohen’s campaign finance violations. And the idea that Republicans will be swayed by Democrat-led investigations moving forward is pretty fanciful.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Polls show that impeaching Trump is very unpopular. If 70% supported it, then Pelosi would switch her position. People are reading way too much into it. 

It was with Nixon as well until it wasn't, but yeah, it could be digging a little too deep. I just think a better response would be that impeachment would happen if Congress could be absolutely sure that something he did reached high crimes and misdemeanors. 

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It was with Nixon as well until it wasn't, but yeah, it could be digging a little too deep. I just think a better response would be that impeachment would happen if Congress could be absolutely sure that something he did reached high crimes and misdemeanors. 

The problem with that is Mar-a-Lago alone is a blatant emoluments violation that we don't need any additional information to draw conclusions about. 

Serious question: is it worth it for the Democrats to even attempt to impeach Trump at this point in time? It seems like they'd be fighting a ludicrously uphill battle and dragging themselves down in the process with the usual GOP media machine having them on blast. By "this point in time" I'm referencing over half-way through his first term. Let's say the full Mueller report drops in 6-weeks and it's clear Trump is guilty, would the Dems be better off holding back until after the general and going for it if Trump somehow still wins? It seems better to use the report to potentially boost DNC poll numbers over going for impeachment at this time (plus, I can't imagine they'll get the votes needed in the Senate anyway). But, I dunno.

Impeachment is a political tool, not a legal one. If the end result isn’t a political win for the Dems then there is little sense in pursuing it, especially with as well positioned as the top 2020 Dem candidates are to win.

1 hour ago, 2user1cup said:

Impeach him in 2021

That's more-or-less my thoughts. I would even be cool impeaching him immediately after/if he loses the 2020 election as a final F you to him and halting him from trying to do a bunch of executive action BS in his final days (not that the actual impeachment process could be done in such a short time-frame, again, just to slow him down on the bajillion pardons he'll be trying to hand out) :p