Mueller Season 3: The End Game

So she's threatening to retaliate against Donald Trump's family with punitive investigatons because one of them said something mean about her?

I am aware of the right wing campaign to brand her as stupid, but this remark is stupid. And I am aware that they will come up with leftist boogeymen no matter what but this serves it up to them on a platter(and may even be grounds down the road to challenge the legitimacy of an investigation).

Either something is worth investigating or it's not. Period. Your personal feelings should have nothing to do with it.

9 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

So she's threatening to retaliate against Donald Trump's family with punitive investigatons because one of them said something mean about her?

I am aware of the right wing campaign to brand her as stupid, but this remark is stupid. And I am aware that they will come up with leftist boogeymen no matter what but this serves it up to them on a platter(and may even be grounds down the road to challenge the legitimacy of an investigation).

Either something is worth investigating or it's not. Period. Your personal feelings should have nothing to do with it.

They did a million Benghazi hearings, can't we get at least 1?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Nah

8 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Is Cohen protecting someone? Why potentially burn Trump regarding Russia by cooperating with Mueller but not cooperate with SDNY regarding the non Russia stuff? 

An easy guess is that he's angling to get the feds to let his family keep some of the money.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

No, I don't believe so.  The constitution states that the Senate MUST hold a trial if the House impeaches, and Senate rules back that up: 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/background/impeach/senaterules.pdf

Just now, CayceG said:

Can't the Senate just change the rules?

I don't think this is a real concern because....

1. If McConnell has enough support to not convict, which is very likely considering the hyper partisanship and super high bar to convict, then it seems to me the best political defense to the House impeaching would be for the Senate to take it up and not convict. This would present a facial he said, she said for them politically. To not take it up would add weight to a "what are they hiding" attack. Sure, it prevents Dems from presenting their case in public, but they'll do that in the House, anyway.

2. If McConnell doesn't have the support to prevent conviction, he doesn't have the support to charge the rule, presumably. And even if he did, this would mean you would theoretically have a court case framed as the House and Senate wanting to impeach/convict a president but essentially one man is preventing it. I doubt even this SCOTUS would set that precedent just to help Trump eek out the last 6-12 months of his presidency by the time any of this was ruled on.

My brain is running through scenarios. Let's say there is no impeachment or he survives it. DoJ policy is they don't indict a sitting President, If Trump loses in 2020, he's now open to indictments. Would Trump risk "norms" protecting him once out of office, or would he resign ahead of 2020 in exchange for a pardon from Pence? 

5 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

My brain is running through scenarios. Let's say there is no impeachment or he survives it. DoJ policy is they don't indict a sitting President, If Trump loses in 2020, he's now open to indictments. Would Trump risk "norms" protecting him once out of office, or would he resign ahead of 2020 in exchange for a pardon from Pence? 

Another scenario: Trump wins in 2020.

Burn it all down.

16 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

He'd pardon himself then let the courts drag it out until he dies

6 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Another scenario: Trump wins in 2020.

Burn it all down.

But is he willing to take that risk and the problem returns in 2024. The Republicans and Pence won't do it during the 2020 or 2024 transition, it doesn't benefit them. But if he resigns before 20 then he could make a deal with Pence to "go away" in exchange for the pardon and endorsement. One way or another, Trump is going to be the most politically active former President ever. The Republicans aren't going to want him defacto controlling the party through Twitter and MAGA rallies forever. Trump in jail and off Twitter benefits the Republican Party since it returns control of the party to the Jebs of the GOP. A democratic DoJ is the best outcome for the GOP, they can rally the base by crying victim and Trump is off Twitter. Trump making a deal with Pence is the only other way for Trump to get out clean.