Disney streaming service called 'Disney+'

I think the idea of splitting the service into multiple brand portals is a good idea. Netflix's strategy is to throw everything at you until you click on something to watch. Disney wants to maintain the values of individual works and brands. I expect that people logging onto Disney+ will have something specific they want to watch.

25 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Are they going to have all of their classic movies on this or are they going to pull some vault bullshit and rotate them.

This is a good question.

/Film says that "The legacy content on Disney+ is expected to include approximately 7,000 episodes of television and 500 movies," but that sounds more like guesswork than reporting.

I would have to imagine that they'll put out a good deal of their classics just to have a competitive amount of content available. Still, it would surprise me if they just put everything on there. It would be the most aggressive move, and one in line with their competitors, but it would feel very un-Disney. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Marvel Studios’ Disney Plus content is notable for being (mostly) canonical. “A post-Endgame MCU will be extremely different, and extremely focused on Disney Plus tying into our future movies,” said Marvel president Kevin Feige.

Yeah that's mostly why I think I'm tapped out after Endgame.

22 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Right now, I don't see a need for this service, though I'll wait and see how their original content turns out. 

I need to start rotating my streaming services to cut on costs. Finish what I'm watching on Hulu then cancel it for a little while. 

With Jon Favreau and Taika Waititi involved I am expecting good things from the Mandalorian.  

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Marvel Studios’ Disney Plus content is notable for being (mostly) canonical. “A post-Endgame MCU will be extremely different, and extremely focused on Disney Plus tying into our future movies,” said Marvel president Kevin Feige.

Yeah that's mostly why I think I'm tapped out after Endgame.

Same - I'll simply watch what actually gets great reviews and/or word of mouth after Endgame or characters I'm personally invested in because that'll become too much theoretically. 

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Right now, I don't see a need for this service, though I'll wait and see how their original content turns out. 

I need to start rotating my streaming services to cut on costs. Finish what I'm watching on Hulu then cancel it for a little while. 

I've had a continuous Netflix subscription going back something like a decade and I think this latest price increase is finally gonna push me into doing the same. 

On 11/9/2018 at 8:59 AM, RedSoxFan9 said:

Disney+

ESPN+

Is there a Hulu+?

On 11/9/2018 at 9:45 AM, Remarkableriots said:

Hulu+ is the version with the least ads

Originally Hulu was just steaming from the website, which was free. Hulu+ was the pay service to be able to stream on devices like DVD/BD players, game consoles, Smart TVs, etc. 

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

they’re hoping that 2/3 of the subscribers will be international, so I assume that means the streaming rights will be sorted out

Also it's primarily (solely?) Disney content, so I'd assume they've kept a tighter lid on those rights than other media companies have. 

3 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

how funny is it going to be when Apple announces their weaker service is priced at $19.99/month

Yeah, this really put the screws to Apple. Disney is offering a lot of content for $7/month. Given that Apple doesn't have a massive back catalog, I have to imagine that Apple TV+ is going to be bundled in with their other services somehow. Nothing else really makes sense given what we know so far.

For Disney, It'll be interesting to see how quickly they put new movies out on the service. For Infinity War, it was three months before you could buy it digitally, another two weeks before you could buy the Blu Ray, and another four and a half months before it was on Netflix. Black Panther similarly took ~three months for the first home release, but it was a little less than seven months before it hit Netflix.

I imagine they won't put things on Disney+ at that three month mark, put it's possible that they do it faster than the 6-8 months they waited before putting things on Netflix.