California wildfires: update - 71 dead, over 1,000 still missing, leveled more than 10,000 structures and burned 142,000 acres.

7 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I would hope expropriation of the company by the state and criminal prosecution but I imagine that it will only be a large fine.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I would hope expropriation of the company by the state and criminal prosecution but I imagine that it will only be a large fine.

They were responsible for the Napa fires last year. Nothing happened but I think its still going through appeals.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46230927

The number of people missing in northern California's devastating wildfire has leapt to more than 600, and seven more bodies have been found, according to local authorities.

The missing persons' list has doubled since earlier on Thursday.

The Camp Fire, the state's deadliest and most destructive blaze, has killed at least 63 people. Nearly 12,000 buildings have been destroyed.

Three more people have also died in the Woolsey Fire, further south.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-california-fires-woolsey-hill-camp-northern-california-fire-brings-worst-1542398967-htmlstory.html

About 67,000 free N95 respirators have been distributed at fire stations across the region. The city said Thursday the program “is nearing its conclusion” because it can’t get more masks from the California Office of Emergency Services or the state Department of Public Health. 

City staff will continue distributing masks while supplies last. 

“I saw a young woman was wearing an N95 mask and running full speed through a park— again, a false sense of security,” he said. 

Workers who need to be outside for extended periods of time are the only ones who really benefit from the masks, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration already requires those employees to wear them, Beilenson said.

“By far the most important thing for anyone across the age spectrum and health condition spectrum is not to go outdoors, and if you need to, make it short and don’t exert yourself,” he said. “Bottom line.”

It seems to me that in this modern age, it would be pretty difficult to truly go missing. I bet at least 50% of the missing are dead. This is one of the worst natural disasters in american history and barely the lead story because this is Trump's america.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My friend lives in SF and he is wearing a mask at the moment. Fortunately his condo has a good conditioner/filter, but he has to commute on the train into work each day and he says it's pretty bad.

I would hope your friend is smart enough to not go running outside with the mask on like that woman did.

16 minutes ago, ort said:

It seems to me that in this modern age, it would be pretty difficult to truly go missing. I bet at least 50% of the missing are dead. This is one of the worst natural disasters in american history and barely the lead story because this is Trump's america.

Cell phone towers were damaged so probably not that hard to go missing.

17 minutes ago, ort said:

Dude, this has been a lead story everyday. Every newscast, every NPR newscast, every local news show deciding what piece of national news to run, are all airing this day after day.

• Thanks 1

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-missing-paradise-fire-20181116-story.html

The death toll from the Camp fire has jumped to 71. But, perhaps more alarmingly, authorities also dramatically increased the number of missing or unaccounted for to 631 Thursday and then more than 1,000 Friday.

Authorities raised the tally after combing through 911 call logs and other reports generated at the peak of last week’s chaotic evacuation. Officials said the new number may include some people who were counted twice or others who may not know they have been reported missing. On Friday, officials said that there might be duplications on the list and that some of those listed might be alive but simply have not checked in with the people who reported them missing.

The Camp fire is significantly larger, though, having leveled more than 10,000 structures and burned 142,000 acres.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:33 PM, Remarkableriots said:

Nothing, California passed a law that lets them pass on any fines or liability to its customers.