Following news that 75% of FFXV DLC was cancelled, Jason Schreier says single-player DLC often doesn't sell well

SaysWho?

I very rarely buy DLC and even more rarely end up playing it. I got the season pass for Far Cry 5, but haven't touched the game since I beat it.

But I've said this before, I'd rather pay more upfront for the "full" experience then to get nickel and dimmed later. I'd rather pay $70 or $80 for a game upfront and get everything then to have to worry about some sort of expansion and/or horse armor later. 

The Shadow of War DLC was pretty good, I still have a third piece to play. The first Spiderman DLC was also good. GTAIV had good DLC. So did Mass Effect and Dragon Age (the first one :p) South Park has some good DLC. I own but haven't played Mafia 3's DLC... Wasn't Dark Souls DLC good as well? I feel like the DLC pieces we've gotten recently has been much better than in the past.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The Shadow of War DLC was pretty good, I still have a third piece to play. The first Spiderman DLC was also good. GTAIV had good DLC. So did Mass Effect and Dragon Age (the first one :p) South Park has some good DLC. I own but haven't played Mafia 3's DLC... Wasn't Dark Souls DLC good as well? I feel like the DLC pieces we've gotten recently has been much better than in the past.

Those are actually some pretty good examples that you cited though as someone who has played all of the Mafia III DLC I can definitely say those only rise to the level of "passable".

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

I think the season passes are what turn people off

It's probably an engagement thing. DLC tends to come out months after the game has been released. By then most people have finished the SP campaign and it's hard to get someone back for that. MP games can keep you longer then SP games so you are more likely still playing the game thus would be interested in new DLC.

The success of single player DLC should be measured by how much buzz it can generate to help sell new copies of the base game, or entice people to buy the more expensive complete edition.

FFXVs multiple story DLC chapters never made much sense under this context.  It’s not like some new Noctus backstory was going to ignite new interest in FFXV.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

The only time I am interested in single player DLC if it adds to the story like HZD or something new and interesting like Blood Dragon. 

HZD is one of the things I was thinking of. If trophy %ages are even remotely reflective of ownership, essentially nobody bought the DLC, or if they did, they never played it much at all.

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

RPG single Player DLC has to take place after the game's main story for me to care about it with a few exceptions.

I like that Xenoblade 2's takes the prequel angle, and is a standalone game to boot.  That might be the smarter approach.

Haven't played yet, but some of my favorite RPGs are also prequels.

17 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

HZD is one of the things I was thinking of. If trophy %ages are even remotely reflective of ownership, essentially nobody bought the DLC, or if they did, they never played it much at all.

Look at achievements for any game and you'll see a pretty big drop off after the first couple of hours. Bioshock Infinite for instance, only 91% of people completed the lighthouse, the very first part of the game. :p

https://steamcommunity.com/stats/BioShockInfinite/achievements/

On 11/8/2018 at 7:20 PM, Firewithin said:

I think the season passes are what turn people off

I think this the case the industry doesn't want to admit or put out there.

21 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

If Trophy completion percentages are even remotely indicative of sales numbers, this seems true.

Absolutely agree with you here on this.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don't buy multiplayer DLC either.  I also tend to be interested in single player DLC... but typically won't buy games that have it until a discounted complete edition is out.  That's the habit the industry has put me into.

Same with waiting for sales. Very rarely is DLC worth the initial price it releases at.