Mass shooting in Thousand Oaks, CA

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

20 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

It doesn't help when everything is labeled a mass shooting.  There has not been 304 mass shooting in the last year.  That is ridiculous. The cause and potential solution to 98% of those 304 mass shootings is completely different than the cause and potential solution to the remaining 2%, which includes the massacre in Thousand Oaks.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It doesn't help when everything is labeled a mass shooting.  There has not been 304 mass shooting in the last year.  That is ridiculous. The cause and potential solution to 98% of those 304 mass shootings is completely different than the cause and potential solution to the remaining 2%, which includes the massacre in Thousand Oaks.

The cause is easy access to firearms, the solution is ending easy access to firearms...  But bury that head deep in your own ass.

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

The cause is easy access to firearms, the solution is ending easy access to firearms...  But bury that head deep in your own ass.

This happened in California.  It's one the most difficult states in the union to buy a pistol.

Additional background checks

10 day waiting period

Training requirements

Proof you own a safe prior to the gun being transferred to you

Etc.

https://www.wikihow.com/Buy-Firearms-in-California

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This happened in California.  It's one the most difficult states in the union to buy a pistol.

10 day waiting period

Training requirements

Etc.

it doesnt matter when neighboring states have lax laws. 

That is the biggest issue with Chicago. 15 Minutes outside of Cook County, its extremely easy to buy a gun.

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

it doesnt matter when neighboring states have lax laws. 

That is the biggest issue with Chicago. 15 Minutes outside of Cook County, its extremely easy to buy a gun.

You can't legally buy a pistol in any state that is not your own without having the firearm shipped to an in-state FFL.  I've bought a gun online before, and it had to be shipped to a gun shop near where I lived.  

The last statistics I saw was that a large majority of guns recovered from crimes in Chicago come from Illinois itself.  A small percentage comes from Indiana, and even then the "time to crime" for Indiana guns is really high.

18 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

LOLNO

Shooting 4+ people is absolutely a mass shooting, we’re just numb to it because the high score is so hard to beat.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

You can't legally buy a pistol in any state that is not your own without having the firearm shipped to an in-state FFL.  I've bought a gun online before, and it had to be shipped to a gun shop near where I lived.  

The last statistics I saw was that a large majority of guns recovered from crimes in Chicago come from Illinois itself.  A small percentage comes from Indiana, and even then the "time to crime" for Indiana guns is really high.

I read this statistic a while ago and will try to find a source.... guns used in 15% of all gun-related incidents in Chicago can be traced back to a single Gun store 15 minutes outside of Chicago. 

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

LOLNO

Shooting 4+ people is absolutely a mass shooting, we’re just numb to it because the high score is so hard to beat.

The causes of a gangland shooting where four gang members are shot are miles apart from the causes of something like what happened last night.  Tell me how they are the same causes? 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

The causes of a gangland shooting where four gang members are shot are miles apart from the causes of something like what happened last night.  Tell me how they are the same causes? 

Access to guns is the enabler of all of this shit. Everything else is a side show.

5 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I read this statistic a while ago and will try to find a source.... guns used in 15% of all gun-related incidents in Chicago can be traced back to a single Gun store 15 minutes outside of Chicago. 

Yup, I've read that too about the same gun store. And most of the " illegal " guns used in crimes in New York and New Jersey come from Pennsylvania and other states with more... liberal gun laws than either of those states.

https://theglobepost.com/2018/08/13/gun-violence-chicago/

60% of guns recovered in Chicago come from out of state.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/11/07/where-the-guns-used-in-chicago-actually-came-from/?utm_term=.7d47bbe17eb9

An interesting graph in this article, showing where guns come from.

"Notice the states highlighted in yellow. Several states — Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas and Virginia — are common sources of firearms for most of the states for which we compiled data. Those states are also ones in which gun laws are not among the most stringent."

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

What checks are there to stop you from just, I don't know, driving out of state and buying a gun in person from some rando you found online?

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

What checks are there to stop you from just, I don't know, driving out of state and buying a gun in person from some rando you found online?

nothing at all. Straw Purchases, by far and large, are the biggest culprit for illegal guns in this country. 

21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

10 day waiting period

Training requirements

Etc.

Do we know he bought the gun or got it in California?

12 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Correction on my statement - not 15% of all guns. Its 1500 guns (not sure what percentage that actually equates to)

and I found the source:

https://abc7chicago.com/news/protesters-take-aim-at-bad-apple-gun-dealers-at-chucks-gun-shop-in-riverdale/770226/