Jump to content
thewhyteboar

Mass shooting in Thousand Oaks, CA

Recommended Posts

I'm torn between being glad the shooter was killed on some lower, vengeance-motivated level, and disappointed that he was killed because answers will be harder to come by because of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It always boggles my mind that, I'll be doing my plans, having fun one Wednesday night, and at the same time, a large group of people somewhere else in the country is scared out of their mind because of something like this.

 

It hasn't stopped feeling strange to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

A nightclub full of college students?

 

I'm gonna go with an incel.

 

I hate that 2018 has forced me to know what that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

 

 

20 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

 

 

It doesn't help when everything is labeled a mass shooting.  There has not been 304 mass shooting in the last year.  That is ridiculous. The cause and potential solution to 98% of those 304 mass shootings is completely different than the cause and potential solution to the remaining 2%, which includes the massacre in Thousand Oaks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

 

 

It doesn't help when everything is labeled a mass shooting.  There has not been 304 mass shooting in the last year.  That is ridiculous. The cause and potential solution to 98% of those 304 mass shootings is completely different than the cause and potential solution to the remaining 2%, which includes the massacre in Thousand Oaks.

 

 

The cause is easy access to firearms, the solution is ending easy access to firearms...  But bury that head deep in your own ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PaladinSolo said:

The cause is easy access to firearms, the solution is ending easy access to firearms...  But bury that head deep in your own ass.

 

This happened in California.  It's one the most difficult states in the union to buy a pistol.

 

Additional background checks

10 day waiting period

Training requirements

Proof you own a safe prior to the gun being transferred to you

Etc.

 

https://www.wikihow.com/Buy-Firearms-in-California

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

 

This happened in California.  It's one the most difficult states in the union to buy a pistol.

 

Additional background checks

10 day waiting period

Training requirements

Proof you own a safe prior to the gun being transferred to you

Etc.

 

https://www.wikihow.com/Buy-Firearms-in-California

 

it doesnt matter when neighboring states have lax laws. 

 

That is the biggest issue with Chicago. 15 Minutes outside of Cook County, its extremely easy to buy a gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, atom631 said:

 

it doesnt matter when neighboring states have lax laws. 

 

That is the biggest issue with Chicago. 15 Minutes outside of Cook County, its extremely easy to buy a gun.

 

You can't legally buy a pistol in any state that is not your own without having the firearm shipped to an in-state FFL.  I've bought a gun online before, and it had to be shipped to a gun shop near where I lived.  

 

The last statistics I saw was that a large majority of guns recovered from crimes in Chicago come from Illinois itself.  A small percentage comes from Indiana, and even then the "time to crime" for Indiana guns is really high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It doesn't help when everything is labeled a mass shooting.  There has not been 304 mass shooting in the last year.  That is ridiculous. The cause and potential solution to 98% of those 304 mass shootings is completely different than the cause and potential solution to the remaining 2%, which includes the massacre in Thousand Oaks.

LOLNO

 

Shooting 4+ people is absolutely a mass shooting, we’re just numb to it because the high score is so hard to beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

 

You can't legally buy a pistol in any state that is not your own without having the firearm shipped to an in-state FFL.  I've bought a gun online before, and it had to be shipped to a gun shop near where I lived.  

 

The last statistics I saw was that a large majority of guns recovered from crimes in Chicago come from Illinois itself.  A small percentage comes from Indiana, and even then the "time to crime" for Indiana guns is really high.

 

I read this statistic a while ago and will try to find a source.... guns used in 15% of all gun-related incidents in Chicago can be traced back to a single Gun store 15 minutes outside of Chicago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kal-El814 said:

LOLNO

 

Shooting 4+ people is absolutely a mass shooting, we’re just numb to it because the high score is so hard to beat.

 

The causes of a gangland shooting where four gang members are shot are miles apart from the causes of something like what happened last night.  Tell me how they are the same causes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mclumber1 said:

The causes of a gangland shooting where four gang members are shot are miles apart from the causes of something like what happened last night.  Tell me how they are the same causes? 

Access to guns is the enabler of all of this shit. Everything else is a side show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, atom631 said:

 

I read this statistic a while ago and will try to find a source.... guns used in 15% of all gun-related incidents in Chicago can be traced back to a single Gun store 15 minutes outside of Chicago. 

Yup, I've read that too about the same gun store. And most of the " illegal " guns used in crimes in New York and New Jersey come from Pennsylvania and other states with more... liberal gun laws than either of those states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theglobepost.com/2018/08/13/gun-violence-chicago/

60% of guns recovered in Chicago come from out of state.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/11/07/where-the-guns-used-in-chicago-actually-came-from/?utm_term=.7d47bbe17eb9

An interesting graph in this article, showing where guns come from.

 

"Notice the states highlighted in yellow. Several states — Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas and Virginia — are common sources of firearms for most of the states for which we compiled data. Those states are also ones in which gun laws are not among the most stringent."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They said one of the people who died was a sheriff, he only had one year till retirement :( 

My dad has one MONTH until retirement... which cant come soon enough.  He's like Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

 

You can't legally buy a pistol in any state that is not your own without having the firearm shipped to an in-state FFL.  I've bought a gun online before, and it had to be shipped to a gun shop near where I lived.  

 

The last statistics I saw was that a large majority of guns recovered from crimes in Chicago come from Illinois itself.  A small percentage comes from Indiana, and even then the "time to crime" for Indiana guns is really high.

 

What checks are there to stop you from just, I don't know, driving out of state and buying a gun in person from some rando you found online?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ghost_MH said:

 

What checks are there to stop you from just, I don't know, driving out of state and buying a gun in person from some rando you found online?

 

nothing at all. Straw Purchases, by far and large, are the biggest culprit for illegal guns in this country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

 

This happened in California.  It's one the most difficult states in the union to buy a pistol.

 

Additional background checks

10 day waiting period

Training requirements

Proof you own a safe prior to the gun being transferred to you

Etc.

 

https://www.wikihow.com/Buy-Firearms-in-California

 

Do we know he bought the gun or got it in California?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, atom631 said:

 

I read this statistic a while ago and will try to find a source.... guns used in 15% of all gun-related incidents in Chicago can be traced back to a single Gun store 15 minutes outside of Chicago. 

 

Correction on my statement - not 15% of all guns. Its 1500 guns (not sure what percentage that actually equates to)

 

and I found the source:

 

https://abc7chicago.com/news/protesters-take-aim-at-bad-apple-gun-dealers-at-chucks-gun-shop-in-riverdale/770226/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My dad has one MONTH until retirement... which cant come soon enough.  He's like Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon.

Seriously, why can't cops with one month to go just do desk work?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Seriously, why can't cops with one month to go just do desk work?! 

Oh he's not doing any serious street work.  He mostly works with clergy detail these days. He will do street work when there's a big event or a VIP is in town though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×