PAX Unplugged 2018

Slug

PAX-Unplugged-logo.png

It's that time of the year!  We're 3 weeks away from Year 2 of PAX Unplugged in FABULOUS Philadelphia, PA!

Who's in?!  If you haven't registered yet, 3 day passes are almost sold out.

http://unplugged.paxsite.com

I'm already rego'd for all 3 days.  In it's first year in 2017, this quickly entered into my favorite cons of the year list.  If you are on the Right Coast and are a tabletop gamer at all, you owe it to yourself to be there.

PAX-Crowds.jpg

54 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Nice. Other than a Legion and possibly a Destiny or an X-Wing tourney, I’m pretty open. One of my brothers in law will be running RPGs for games on demand, so may be doing that. Other than that, I’m pretty open.

Nice.  Hopefully I'll be able to get in on some RPGs.  Last year that was my only disappointment; not enough DMs so available RPGs booked full way too fast.  Didn't get into a single one.

I find it hilarious that people go to cons to play D&D AL that you can play almost anywhere.  Origins usually books up pretty quick too and I usually think "Why?"  I usually like the cons to see and try games I can't play any other night of the week.

I won't be going since I started a new job a few weeks ago.  I'm going to try and shoot for next year maybe especially since it's over in PA and I'm in Ohio so it isn't too far.  Just timing wasn't right for this year.

19 hours ago, DemonEyesJason said:

I find it hilarious that people go to cons to play D&D AL that you can play almost anywhere.  Origins usually books up pretty quick too and I usually think "Why?"  I usually like the cons to see and try games I can't play any other night of the week.

A bit, yeah.  I mean, I wanted to do AL at Con, but like one adventure and be done with it.  There are people that go to Con and do nothing but AL for 3 days.  I don't get those folks.  There's so much going on that I can't imagine spending the entire con in the RPG dungeon alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it’s a lot better than last year even though it’s a lot larger and took longer to get in. 

Got shellacked in the Legion tourney but had a great time. No idea who decided to start a tourney at 4:30 when matches are 2 hours long but other than that it was good. A guy with an Imperial Squad had easily the best paint jobs and mods I’ve seen IRL, it was incredible. 

Picked up some stuff, will do more shopping tomorrow. Probably gonna get Fog of Love and some Arkham Horror TCG expansions. Was hoping they’d have the expansion for Root here, but no luck so I preordered the second printing. 

Played a lot of KeyForge today and I really dig it. I’ll be interested to see how / if it takes off. 

Also every custom game table maker is here and I want one SO BAD. 

On 12/1/2018 at 9:35 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah it’s a lot better than last year even though it’s a lot larger and took longer to get in. 

Got shellacked in the Legion tourney but had a great time. No idea who decided to start a tourney at 4:30 when matches are 2 hours long but other than that it was good. A guy with an Imperial Squad had easily the best paint jobs and mods I’ve seen IRL, it was incredible. 

Picked up some stuff, will do more shopping tomorrow. Probably gonna get Fog of Love and some Arkham Horror TCG expansions. Was hoping they’d have the expansion for Root here, but no luck so I preordered the second printing. 

Played a lot of KeyForge today and I really dig it. I’ll be interested to see how / if it takes off. 

Also every custom game table maker is here and I want one SO BAD. 

From what I have heard from local game stores is that KeyForge has already taken off!

I think it compares favorably. I think that the exhibit hall, while smaller in size, competes with gencon in quality and variety, less some creators (Gencon's exhibit hall has more artists and independant craft people). But free gaming space and the library and the tournaments for the size I think PAXU did very well.

The big edge GenCon has over PAXU is event registration. Their prereg system is much better and you are far more likely to get events you want. PAXU tried something this year with their app to prereg some events, but it wasn't effective. They just don't have enough scheduled events or people to run them. Maybe as the con grows they will get there. But at GenCon I can go into it *knowing* that I'm getting into event X or Y ahead of time. No lines, no running out of DMs, no bullshit. 

• Thanks 1