~*The Official Thread of Hero Cop Valor and Bravery*~

Calls for new inquiry into Belgian police custody tragedy (BBC)

The wife of a Slovak man who died in Belgian police custody has called for a fresh inquiry after shocking new images of his detention have emerged.

Jozef Chovancova was arrested at Charleroi airport in 2018 after causing a disturbance on his flight.

While being detained, he began banging his head on the wall of his cell to the point of bleeding. A group of officers are later seen pinning him down.

Chovancova was taken to hospital, but fell into a coma and died the next day.

The images from the cell show several officer laughing during the incident, while another made a Nazi salute. Another was filmed sitting on Chovancova's rib cage for 18 minutes.

29 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

People will just latch onto some random white person that got shot by a black person, and ignore it.

My favorite one is the excuse that in absolute numbers, more white people are killed by police; as though that's an argument for not doing a better job of holding police accountable for these crimes.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This is complete and utter bullshit. My ex's son is severly autistic (non verbal) is afro-latino although he looks straight up black and looks older than he is. This is her nightmare scenario... I hope she doesn't see this story because I know it will give her nightmares. These fucking Cops man... and I've always said we need to shine more light on the instances of cops jumping the gun that does NOT involve race because while they disproportionately abuse minorites... they fuck up white people too. Its just the nature of policing in this country.

This mother took every precaution she possibly could and look what happened. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is complete and utter bullshit. My ex's son is severly autistic (non verbal) is afro-latino although he looks straight up black and looks older than he is. This is her nightmare scenario... I hope she doesn't see this story because I know it will give her nightmares. These fucking Cops man... and I've always said we need to shine more light on the instances of cops jumping the gun that does NOT involve race because while they disproportionately abuse minorites... they fuck up white people too. Its just the nature of policing in this country.

This mother took every precaution she possibly could and look what happened. 

My daughter is a brown autistic girl that's barely verbal. These are the stories that my wife doesn't like hearing about. My daughter can be hungry and she still doesn't really know what I'm talking about unless I'm pretty much waving the food in front of her face. She's good with singing though, so that's something. Completely nonverbal, but can sing any song you teach her. Go figure.

Screaming "get down" at these kids is pointless. This mother called the right people and the wrong ones are those who showed up. My wife and I have a rule that we'll never call 911 for anything unless it's for an ambulance. Even then, I think I'd rather get a speeding ticket. I do only live like a mile from the closest hospital. Either way, it doesn't matter what's going on or what age she is. We're just never letting the police come our way because of how terrible they are with this stuff.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

My daughter is a brown autistic girl that's barely verbal. These are the stories that my wife doesn't like hearing about. My daughter can be hungry and she still doesn't really know what I'm talking about unless I'm pretty much waving the food in front of her face. She's good with singing though, so that's something. Completely nonverbal, but can sing any song you teach her. Go figure.

Screaming "get down" at these kids is pointless. This mother called the right people and the wrong ones are those who showed up. My wife and I have a rule that we'll never call 911 for anything unless it's for an ambulance. Even then, I think I'd rather get a speeding ticket. I do only live like a mile from the closest hospital. Either way, it doesn't matter what's going on or what age she is. We're just letting the police come out way because of how terrible they are with this stuff.

That is so tough. Glad she has good parents looking after her interests! 

People outside of the autistic community don’t often talk about how often we’re treated differently by law enforcement. I’m considered high functioning (even though I personally don’t like that term) and my coping strategies have improved a lot over the years (meaning I’m much better at fitting in and pretending to be a neurotypical than I used to be). But once in college I had security alerted because I was shopping while autistic. It’s common for us to be seen as suspicious just because we don’t outwardly express ourselves the way the way average people do. Once the paramedics were called because I had a meltdown after getting pulled over by an officer. Law enforcement just doesn’t know how to handle us. When we get overwhelmed with a situation we’re treated as dangerous or unwell.

I can’t even comment on how horrifying that story is.

• Thanks 1

This story's been making the rounds in Florida, but on the positive side: black man who's stopped by cops because he matched a description of a burglar is now teaming with the sheriff's office for implicit bias training.

volusaicounty.png

“Hey buddy, you’re not in trouble or anything,” the deputy starts on the video, telling Griffin he matches the description of a burglary suspect being sought nearby. “Literally they said white tank top and black shorts, and had a beard. I’m not saying it’s you,” the deputy said, telling Griffin he wanted to check in with other deputies at the scene.

In the video, you can hear the deputies radio fellow investigators and double check the description. The deputy later tells Griffin he is being told to detain him. The deputy offers to hold Griffin’s phone to continue recording the incident while he is handcuffed.

Griffin remains handcuffed for several minutes while deputies wait for confirmation if he is the suspect or not. Griffin stays calm and talks to the deputies during this time.

“Seven cop cars, with everything going on, it’s just a little bit scary,” Griffin says. The deputies agree, but say “see it through our eyes,” since he matches the description. “Do you think we want to be out here killing people?”

Eventually, Griffin is let go and it is determined he was not the suspect deputies were looking for. The suspect was later arrested. Griffin is seen on camera thanking the deputies, “Officer Estrada, who said from the beginning he wasn’t going to let anything happen to me.”

“I don’t completely agree with everything that happened but this an excellent example of how to remain compliant. I could tell that the officer was just as nervous and confused as I was. Thank you everyone for your support. I would like for this to be a learning experience for officers and civilians! Put yourself in each other’s shoes,” Griffin posted.

“I think we can all learn from his point of view, just like he has listened to ours. Mr. Griffin is a military veteran and a medical professional, and I told him we'd train and hire him as a deputy in a second if he ever wants a new job,” Sheriff Chitwood tweeted.

Now he'll be joining the department for implicit bias training to share the experience with other deputies from his eyes.

There continue to be reactions that while the deputy did nothing wrong, the response was probably still excessive for the crime. But I figure Mr. Griffin will share that during training.

fill-1200x650
GOTHAMIST.COM

From the beginning, the demonstrators on Thursday were flanked and followed by well over 100 police officers, including members of the Strategic Response Group, plainclothes officers, bicycle police, police on motor scooters, and an NYPD helicopter.