~*The Official Thread of Hero Cop Valor and Bravery*~

Phoenix Cops Kill Man after Responding to Noise Complaint over Video Game

A noise complaint from an annoyed neighbor resulted in cops shooting and killing a man within five seconds of him opening his front door.

Ryan Whitaker opened the door holding a gun in his right hand which is legal in Arizona but it made the cops fear for their lives.

However, the cops never gave him a chance to put the gun down which he appeared to be trying to do when one cop shot him in the back three times.

It started as a noise complaint. It ended in another fatal Phoenix police shooting

Ryan Whitaker had heard a stranger knock on his Ahwatukee apartment door in the middle of the night earlier in May. So when he heard a similar knock on a Thursday after 10 p.m. later that same week, he answered the door holding his 9 mm gun.

Holding the gun in his right hand, he was confronted by two Phoenix police officers standing on either side of the door. They appeared surprised by the sight of the firearm, body camera footage shows.

Three seconds after Whitaker opened the door, Phoenix Officer Jeff Cooke shot Whitaker in the back at least two times, killing the 40-year-old man. 

• Guillotine 3

43 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's really no reason to ever call the cops. If you're in actual danger, they won't be able to help you, and I'm so other situations they'll only make things worse

This is bs lol.

Hyperbolic, sure. But the point is calling the cops risks death on the supposed offender so the bar for calling them should be fairly high, and if you're in the middle of an active crime situation calling them may not be as much help as you would require as they'll probably be too late. In the country cops are too far away, in the city they're busy dealing with other BS

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's really no reason to ever call the cops. If you're in actual danger, they won't be able to help you, and I'm so other situations they'll only make things worse

27 minutes ago, Joe said:

This is bs lol.

My middle ground here is that threatening to call the cops is usually more effective than actually calling the cops. It also gives you a lot of information if you threaten to call the cops and the person doesn't even flinch.

Just now, Jason said:

My middle ground here is that threatening to call the cops is usually more effective than actually calling the cops. It also gives you a lot of information if you threaten to call the cops and the person doesn't even flinch.

It usually works like this:

The person listens

The person doesn't listen or care

The person wants the cops called.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You call the non emergency line and describe the situation and usually no one gets killed, at least that was the case where I used to work.

Or you just get ignored. Santa Monica has a ban on leaf blowers (even electric ones) and I spent literally a year getting passed back and forth between code enforcement ("this is happening too close to the end of when we close up shop for the day") and the police non-emergency number ("we don't deal with this, call code enforcement") on a year with no resolution in sight. I had to resort to email blasting everyone in the city manager's office to finally get my complaint dealt with.

Code enforcement's hours are something like 8-6 and the leafblower that was happening directly outside my window was happening at, like ~5:30 PM.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Or you just get ignored. Santa Monica has a ban on leaf blowers (even electric ones) and I spent literally a year getting passed back and forth between code enforcement ("this is happening too close to the end of when we close up shop for the day") and the police non-emergency number ("we don't deal with this, call code enforcement") on a year with no resolution in sight. I had to resort to email blasting everyone in the city manager's office to finally get my complaint dealt with.

Ok karen

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Yeah, I'd expect that to get ignored. Who would call the cops on that?

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Ok karen

You try dealing with a leafblower going off for an hour every fucking week right as you're getting home from work for the day. You hate car noise pollution, right? Leafblower noise pollution is even fucking worse.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah, I'd expect that to get ignored. Who would call the cops on that?

I wasn't initially trying to call the cops! I called code enforcement and they were the ones who tried to pawn me off on the cops.

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Are you talking 6PM or 9PM? One is an issue and the other is not

6 PM but the city has a ban on ALL leafblowers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The genesis of this complaint was simply trying to get the city to enforce the stated ban by sending someone out to tell them to knock it off. I wouldn't have escalated the complaint if I the city didn't have a ban they were sending me in pointless circles on enforcing.

LA City has a leafblower ban that prohibits gas leafblowers but allows electric leafblowers so from what I could tell I think it came down to a bad assumption that Santa Monica had the same leafblower rules as LA City.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

6 PM but the city has a ban on ALL leafblowers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The genesis of this complaint was simply trying to get the city to enforce the stated ban by sending someone out to tell them to knock it off. I wouldn't have escalated the complaint if I the city didn't have a ban they were sending me in pointless circles on enforcing.

LA City has a leafblower ban that prohibits gas leafblowers but allows electric leafblowers so from what I could tell I think it came down to a bad assumption that Santa Monica had the same leafblower rules as LA City.

Goodness Karen, you don't need to be the one to enforce a silly law

• Guillotine 2

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Goodness Karen, you don't need to be the one to enforce a silly law

Like for Jason of all people to say something like "WELL IT'S THE LAW! IT MUST BE ENFORCED!" really just blows my mind. The cognitive dissonance there is off the fucking charts.

11 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Hyperbolic, sure. But the point is calling the cops risks death on the supposed offender so the bar for calling them should be fairly high, and if you're in the middle of an active crime situation calling them may not be as much help as you would require as they'll probably be too late. In the country cops are too far away, in the city they're busy dealing with other BS

Even when I was younger I would have thought it was a punk move, nowadays with a more informed view of police intervention I would consider calling the cops for a simple noise complaint just shy of a swat attempt.

I have loud neighbors. I just put my headphones in:shrug:

At this point, short of a home invasion or seeing someone attacked on the street, I don't know if there are many scenarios where I would call the cops.

I called the cops once because somebody tried to kick my door in and attack me as I answered it. I managed to get the door closed and they ran off. Still, I called the cops. I explained to 911 what happened. They told me not to answer the door until the officers arrive. 

the idiot cops knocked on my door, but when I looked out the peep hole I couldn’t see anyone. Fuckers didn’t even announce themselves. I heard them start to radio back that I wasn’t answering the door. FUCKING ASSHOLES!! 

when my car was broken into and I called the police they tried to talk me out of filing a report. 

So I guess their method for showing reduced crime stats is to just make sure none ever get reported. Lazy fucking pricks. ACAB

• Sad 1

On 8/8/2020 at 12:45 PM, Jason said:

Code enforcement's hours are something like 8-6 and the leafblower that was happening directly outside my window was happening at, like ~5:30 PM.

You complained about a leaf blower? Was it constant? Were they doing it specifically to anger you? Or was it just regular yard work? Because that seems extremely petty. Especially to pursue it that hard.

9 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You complained about a leaf blower? Was it constant? Were they doing it specifically to anger you? Or was it just regular yard work? Because that seems extremely petty. Especially to pursue it that hard.

it was once a week for an hour at the same time he said. like idk I have the same thing here and it’s a little annoying but lol just put some headphones on