~*The Official Thread of Hero Cop Valor and Bravery*~

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Good policing shouldn't depend on the politics or educations of the people who go into it. Regardless of who goes in, police training and education should make every police officer at least equally capable at a baseline to do their jobs well. That's the problem with cops, in part - terrible training where "shoot first" and "freak out" are first responses.

Also, I think it's dangerous to push a narrative that you're trying to "balance" things. There is a difference between neutrality and objectivity, and you are pushing for neutrality, implying that all sides of an issue are equal. This is not always the case. 

You can post positive cop stories if you want of course (in a thread, I should note, that is meant to mock cops in the title because obviously we're only posting bad things in the thread itself). But let's not pretend that there are equal sides to this issue. Of course there are cops that do good things every day - that's their fucking job. We should never hear about cops except the good things they do. It's part of the job: to protect and serve. Did you find a story where they protected and served us? AMAZING. :p The fact that good news stories about cops aren't the only news stories we hear all the time indicates how deep the problem runs, and how distrustful of cops so many people are. 

Of course I am happy when cops do their job and it's not an easy job in the least and hooray for cops but there is a sickening underbelly amongst cops in this country, a cancer, and we should beat that drum hard and loud until something is done about it. Please don't try to "show the other side". That's a false equivalency. The blue brotherhood is fucked up right now in many parts of the country, a lot of people aren't happy about it, and "more liberals as cops" is a terrible and hilarious solution. 

The solution is complex, and the only group think hurting anyone on this issue is the group think of the cops themselves. 

All very good points.  The story I posted was actually of an Officer going beyond his job duties.  You would be amazed by how many Officers on their patrols end up buying homeless people shoes, or coats or mittens etc.  

This one just happened.  Just so you are aware...a cop isn't required to literally  jump off an overpass to get to a victim quickly...but she did.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article216152905.html

Also...more liberal cops is a terrible solution how?   It disrupts groupthink.  And that is one of the things you need.    A precinct can make examples of bad cops and send them to prison...but that's like sending criminals to prison...it's barely a deterrent.  

1. Cut down on the number of military.......the military trains to be aggressive towards civilian populations..the opposite of what you want.  

2. Make a college degree a requirement.  

3. Do more recruiting on liberal college campuses

4. Academy Training of at least a year.  

You make these changes and you will see cultural shifts in departments....and that's when true change is gonna occur....just throwing some slimewad in prison just means another shitheel will take their place and take the risk.

Right now a lot of departments are hurting for manpower and while they'd like to weed out all the shitheels...they don't have the luxury and have to take chances. 

I grabbed this off Facebook under a video of a cop giving confusing orders and tazing a compliant individual

Teresa Brewer Heath Indeed... enough of the shite. I'm former law enforcement in rural Indiana. I'm 5'0" tall and 98 lbs. I resigned in 2000 because of the "good ole boys club", I faced subtle harassment, most of it not really sexual, most of it was based on my size and my being female. it was bad... I cried every night just prior to my resignation and I'm not a "crier" it simply became too much and it was affecting my family as well. So I left. But know this... they stick together like glue and they make inappropriate jokes about brutality, charging people with extra crimes that really don't fit and then you have the, "stop resisting" excuse. I so wish I could have moved up at the Sheriff's department so I could have called out the shear abuse of citizens. But from where I stood in 2000, I didn't have a "snowballs" chance. I apologize for not being strong enough to do anything about it. Breaks my heart, like they broke mine

1 hour ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

All very good points.  The story I posted was actually of an Officer going beyond his job duties.  You would be amazed by how many Officers on their patrols end up buying homeless people shoes, or coats or mittens etc.  

This one just happened.  Just so you are aware...a cop isn't required to literally  jump off an overpass to get to a victim quickly...but she did.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article216152905.html

Also...more liberal cops is a terrible solution how?   It disrupts groupthink.  And that is one of the things you need.    A precinct can make examples of bad cops and send them to prison...but that's like sending criminals to prison...it's barely a deterrent.  

1. Cut down on the number of military.......the military trains to be aggressive towards civilian populations..the opposite of what you want.  

2. Make a college degree a requirement.  

3. Do more recruiting on liberal college campuses

4. Academy Training of at least a year.  

I agree with the substance of your post, but I think that it's important to educate everyone, not limit perhaps less educated peoples' options from serving in their communities. I understand why you think that would work and why it's necessary but I'm concerned by the potential placism with those kinds of hiring practices. I think one doesn't need to go that far to fix the problem, as tempting as your solution is. The backlash to it would also be enormous.

The rest, however, I agree with. I think it's a cop's job to go above and beyond the call of duty, but I think that should be the case with every job if a person is going to bother at all. :p 

This could probably go in either thread, but let's put it here...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2018/08/07/cincinnati-police-deploy-taser-11-year-old-shoplifter/929492002/

Officer Kevin Brown, 55, was working an off-duty security detail at the Spring Grove Village Kroger, police said. He was investigating a group of juvenile girls suspected of stealing from the store.

According to police officials, Brown approached one of the girls, but she ignored his commands to stop and kept walking out of the store. Brown fired his Taser at her striking her in the back.

Nothing like tasing an eleven year old in the back because she ignored you.

• 3 weeks later...

Five Arizona police cleared in viral beating of unarmed man

Five Arizona police officers who were shown on camera pummelling an unarmed man last May will not face any charges, authorities have announced.  The beating of the 33-year-old man by Mesa Police Department officers was legally justified, investigators from another police force determined.

Former police officer convicted of murder for shooting unarmed black teen

A former police officer was found guilty of murder Tuesday for the April 2017 shooting death of an African American teenager and could face up to life in prison.  Roy Oliver, who is white, had testified he was defending his partner when he shot into a car leaving a house party in the Dallas suburb of Balch Springs. Fifteen-year-old Jordan Edwards, a freshman honor roll student who was sitting in the front passenger seat, was killed instantly.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

A former police officer was found guilty of murder Tuesday for the April 2017 shooting death of an African American teenager and could face up to life in prison.  Roy Oliver, who is white, had testified he was defending his partner when he shot into a car leaving a house party in the Dallas suburb of Balch Springs. Fifteen-year-old Jordan Edwards, a freshman honor roll student who was sitting in the front passenger seat, was killed instantly.

Sad state of affairs when this is the more surprising headline. 

16 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Five Arizona police cleared in viral beating of unarmed man

Five Arizona police officers who were shown on camera pummelling an unarmed man last May will not face any charges, authorities have announced.  The beating of the 33-year-old man by Mesa Police Department officers was legally justified, investigators from another police force determined.

Oh man, I remember that first one.

That was such a ridiculous overuse of force. So clearly the cop trying to prove who had the bigger dick. Wish I could say I was surprised by the result.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Jason said:

The KKKeebler Elf was truly a man of principles. 

Sessions, in Last-Minute Act, Sharply Limits Use of Consent Decrees to Curb Police Abuses https://nyti.ms/2yYKGvI

Possible Onion article headline, "In final act as Attorney General, Jeff Sessions emails police departments a DIY guide on how to wrap your baton in barbwire"

• 2 weeks later...

A traffic stop in New York led to a young black man being arrested for possession of marijuana. What happened? The New York Times obtained videos that offer a rare window into how far police may be willing to go to make an arrest.

:guillotine::guillotine::guillotine::guillotine:

I hate this style of reporting. "How far police may be willing to go to make an arrest"? That's a bullshit line. It seems to imply that the police here are going above and beyond to perform their duty when they're straight up framing people that want off the street.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:28 AM, Ghost_MH said:

:guillotine::guillotine::guillotine::guillotine:

I hate this style of reporting. "How far police may be willing to go to make an arrest"? That's a bullshit line. It seems to imply that the police here are going above and beyond to perform their duty when they're straight up framing people that want off the street.

For what it's worth, that's actually the way I interpreted that line, namely as being critical of how far they were willing to go. They were so willing to go so far as to break the law. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a good one, 3 officers charged with beating a protester and a 4th indicted for trying to help them cover it up, in St. Louis, the protester?  An undercover detective, somehow i doubt this happens if he wasn't one of them, and i'd wager that the undercover officer was black though its not mentioned or his name.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/us/st-louis-police-indicted-protest.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR0KOOx7MPIinxV5lt6rWqv57fYAbqZJ--l-RAIQ5I2Gh8oCk-FejDJO4IY

The indictment includes messages sent among the officers during the days before and after the acquittal in which they express excitement about the possibility of using force against protesters.

“A lot of cops gettin hurt, but it’s still a blast beating people that deserve it,” read a message from Officer Boone that was included in the indictment. It was dated Sept. 17, the night that prosecutors say the beating occurred.

The three officers were also charged with obstructing justice by engaging in “misleading conduct toward witnesses,” the indictment said. Officer Myers was charged with destruction of evidence for destroying the detective’s cellphone in an effort to influence the federal investigation.

The fourth officer, Bailey Colletta, 25, who was accused of impeding the investigation, was in a romantic relationship with Officer Hays at the time of the protests, according to the indictment. Prosecutors said Officer Colletta provided false and misleading testimony to the grand jury, including a statement that the detective was “brought to the ground very gently.”

• 3 weeks later...