Shrek & Puss in Boots to be rebooted

https://screenrant.com/shrek-puss-boots-reboot/

Shrek-and-Donkey.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=798

alg-puss-boots-jpg.jpg

Variety is now reporting that Universal intends to reinvent one of DreamWorks Animation's most popular properties: the Shrek franchise. The report states that new Shrek and Puss In Boots movies will be overseen by Chris Meledandri, but while these films won't be straight sequels of the established Shrek series, it seems that Universal doesn't exactly intend to start from scratch either. Meledandri told Variety:

“When you look back on those vocal performances they’re awesome, and while you certainly could make a case for a complete reinvention, I find myself responding to my own nostalgic feelings of wanting to go back to those characterizations. The challenge for us has been to find something that really does feel like it’s not simply yet another film in a series of sequels... You want to find something in the narrative that really feels like a departure.”

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

The fans?

No, because the fans would just want more stories in the Shrek universe. The fans are who gave Puss in Boots multiple movies and, what, a six seasons of a TV series. I'm not convinced the fans want to toss out that very recent history.

6 hours ago, number305 said:

So if they just threw another movie out there and didn't tell anyone it was a 'reboot' ... would anyone really notice?

I mean is there a Shrek fan base out there that is keeping track of continuity?  

I would love to see the storyboard filled with great ideas for Shrek sequels made impossible by canon.