Black Panther 2

https://screenrant.com/black-panther-2-ryan-coogler-pressure-marvel/#leave-comment

IndieWire asked Ryan Coogler about the pressure that he feels as the director of Black Panther 2. Coogler has to follow a game-changing box office run and overwhelming critical praise, and somehow try to find a way to top it in a sequel. As high as the bar is raised, Coogler says he and the rest of the Marvel Studios team are going to keep the process simple to hopefully deliver another great film.

"When it comes to making a sequel, I’ve never done it before, a sequel to something that I’ve directed myself. So I think there’s gonna be a lot of pressure there, but what we’re going to try to do is just focus on the work, like we always do. Really try to go step by step and try to quiet everything else around us, really focus on trying to make something that has some type of meaning. "

Black Panther was amazing so I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to the sequel!

I have no doubt it will be a better movie. I liked Black Panther but it wasn't the Earth shattering experience for me like it was many other folks. It laid a great foundation for a fantastic sequel. Now the question will be will Disney some happy with it if financial lightening in the bottle doesn't strike again?

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think the pressure comes from the fact that whether the film is "better" or not, will it perform as well as the first? It could very well be a "better" movie but have less of a cultural impact and then the haters would deem it a "failure".

I doubt they'd matter at all.

I can't imagine BP2 having the same impact or box office success as the first. Being introduced to Wakanda is like being told what the Matrix is or seeing all the heroes team up for the first time, the impact is just lessened the second time around. They've already established the aesthetic and the technology. Regardless of the quality of the film, I expect a Force Awakens -> Last Jedi, Avengers -> Age of Ultron, Jurassic World -> Fallen Kingdom type of box office drop (~25-35%). That would still put a BP2 at ~$450-525M domestic.

All that said, I think there's a good chance that Coogler makes a better film. I think for a first film you have to do a lot of establishing, and it's a lot of work to build out Wakanda from scratch. There's a lot that could be done with those characters, and he doesn't have a miss yet.

Feeling a bit torn. On one hand, a sequel to BLACK PANTHER from Ryan Coogler has so much potential - he explored a number of complex issues while still delivering a film in the Marvel mold, so the notion of what he could delve into in a sequel that doesn’t need to include some degree of world-building is intriguing. 

OTOH, the guy is an absolute three for three with new properties (the fact that he’s 3:3 in his first major efforts is just amaze balls), so there’s a pet of me that wants him to continue working in new material and expanding his portfolio. Also wondering if, like Spielberg, he may be someone who struggles when revisiting a universe he worked in previously. 

Either way, I just want MOAR Ryan Coogler. 

EDIT - and FTR, I’d consider BLACK PANTHER to easily be in Marvel’s top 3 to date, and I don’t know that I’d argue against anyone who ranks it at #1. I put it right up there with IRON MAN 3 and WINTER SOLDIER. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

Feeling a bit torn. On one hand, a sequel to BLACK PANTHER from Ryan Coogler has so much potential - he explored a number of complex issues while still delivering a film in the Marvel mold, so the notion of what he could delve into in a sequel that doesn’t need to include some degree of world-building is intriguing. 

OTOH, the guy is an absolute three for three with new properties (the fact that he’s 3:3 in his first major efforts is just amaze balls), so there’s a pet of me that wants him to continue working in new material and expanding his portfolio. Also wondering if, like Spielberg, he may be someone who struggles when revisiting a universe he worked in previously. 

Either way, I just want MOAR Ryan Coogler. 

EDIT - and FTW, I’d consider BLACK PANTHER to easily be in Marvel’s top 3 to date, and I don’t know that I’d argue against anyone who ranks it at #1. I put it right up there with IRON MAN 3 and WINTER SOLDIER. 

Wait are people walking around saying IronMan 3 is good now?  I had to have missed a memo...

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

All that said, I think there's a good chance that Coogler makes a better film. I think for a first film you have to do a lot of establishing, and it's a lot of work to build out Wakanda from scratch. There's a lot that could be done with those characters, and he doesn't have a miss yet.

Yes. There's a lot of potential that fans will like BP2 more because it doesn't have to establish the character and his universe. I do think there's some fatigue (yeah I know, trigger word) over introducing new characters. Technically Black Panther was introduced before his own movie, but his movie was definitely still an origin film. They went through the same tired formula of "here's the character and his friends/family/allies/background", "here's how he gets his powers", "here is him fighting an evil mirror version of himself", so that gives them a lot of freedom the next time around to make a more interesting film. Not to mention the events in Avengers 3 that would obviously create a compelling jumping-off point.

Obviously there are examples in the MCU where sequels did not thrive and improve on the firsts, but I think BP2 has a good shot, especially for me personally as I found first movie to be only slightly above Thor and Ant-Man.

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I can't imagine BP2 having the same impact or box office success as the first. Being introduced to Wakanda is like being told what the Matrix is or seeing all the heroes team up for the first time, the impact is just lessened the second time around. They've already established the aesthetic and the technology. Regardless of the quality of the film, I expect a Force Awakens -> Last Jedi, Avengers -> Age of Ultron, Jurassic World -> Fallen Kingdom type of box office drop (~25-35%). That would still put a BP2 at ~$450-525M domestic.

You do know that you just named two series where the sequels made more money, right?  I mean the second Matrix movie made almost twice as much money as the first.  In fact, the only Marvel sequel to not make more money than the first was Age of Ultron.  Shit, even Thor 2 made more money than Thor.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

You do know that you just named two series where the sequels made more money, right?  I mean the second Matrix movie made almost twice as much money as the first.  In fact, the only Marvel sequel to not make more money than the first was Age of Ultron.  Shit, even Thor 2 made more money than Thor.

I gave three very specific examples of what kind of drop I expected, and it's based on the incredible numbers that Black Panther did. The Matrix, Thor, Captain America, all made less than $200M, and Batman Begins was just over that. For Black Panther to have the same jump as The Matrix, it would have to make $1.15 Billion domestically.

There are examples of breakout successes where the sequel made more money. LOTR went from $313 -> $339, Guardians went from $333M->$389M, The Hunger games went from $408M->$424M, Pirates went form $305M->$423M. Still, all those pale compared to Panther's $700M take. The best argument that a sequel can really outperform its predecessors might be Infinity War, but even that didn't catch Panther and it had Black Panther in it!

When a movie is at or near the top of its years' box office, the sequel almost always makes less. It's been the case with every number 1 movie since 2000 that got a direct sequel. Episode 1 -> Episode 2, Sorcerer's Stone -> Chamber of Secrets, Spider-Man -> Spider-Man 2, Shrek 2 -> 3, Dead Man's Chest -> At World's End, Dark Knight -> Rises,  Catching Fire -> Mockingjay. If those drops are indicative, BP2 could still be the highest grossing movie of whatever year it comes out in, but catching that $700M domestic gross would be an incredible feat.