Kotaku: Blizzard pulled Diablo IV announcement from BlizzCon at the last minute

Commissar SFLUFAN

And the head scratchingly bad decisions continue. At least that would have diffused a lot of the anger and frustration toward Blizzard. And more people might have actually played the game knowing that a proper sequel was coming. But now, a lot of casuals and most hardcore Diablo fans will purposely ignore this game in protest.

I really hope they introduce complexity back into Diablo IV. III was so obviously made for consoles with its skill limits and simplification. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it quite a bit once Loot 2.0 came out (and the expansion), but it could have been so much better. What I am hoping for in IV is:

• That Blizzard polish we love
  • Visceral combat like in DIII
  • Crafting like in Path of Exile
  • Complex skill tree (closer to Path of Exile)

Focus on single-player since that is what 95% of people did, also.

• Guillotine 1

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

New director of PR at Blizzard, shortly! :p

Don't know about that. But I do kinda feel bad for Wyatt Cheng. I heard he literally cried backstage after he announced the game. You could tell the silence was physically hurting him toward the end of his presentation. But I mean, come on man. What did you THINK was gonna happen in a room full of people with 2 to 3000 dollar gaming PC's eagerly waiting for the next Diablo??

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, nublood said:

Don't know about that. But I do kinda feel bad for Wyatt Cheng. I heard he literally cried backstage after he announced the game. You could tell the silence was physically hurting him toward the end of his presentation. But I mean, come on man. What did you THINK was gonna happen in a room full of people with 2 to 3000 dollar gaming PC's eagerly waiting for the next Diablo??

They should have kept up to date with Blizzard news.

BlizzCon 2018 is almost here and we’ve seen a lot of rumors flying around about our plans for Diablo at the show. These are very exciting times—we currently have multiple teams working on different Diablo projects and we can’t wait to tell you all about them . . . when the time is right.

We know what many of you are hoping for and we can only say that “good things come to those who wait,” but evil things often take longer. We appreciate your patience as our teams work tirelessly to create nightmarish experiences worthy of the Lord of Terror.

While we won’t be ready to announce all of our projects, we do intend to share some Diablo-related news with you at the show.

November 2 will be an especially diabolical date—not only is it the first day of BlizzCon, it’s also when Diablo III arrives on the Nintendo Switch. If you’re planning to pick up the game (the digital download will be available starting at midnight on launch day) and are joining us in Anaheim, be sure to bring your console. We’d love to slay some demons with you on the show floor.

Again, we want to thank you for your patience and support. We are eternally grateful to you and the millions of other Diablo fans around the world whose passion for this franchise inspires us and keeps our fires burning.

We’ll see you in hell . . . and at BlizzCon!

https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/22549433/diablo-at-blizzcon-2018-10-17-2018

Had they paid attention they wouldn't have had false expectations.

10 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

They should have kept up to date with Blizzard news.

Had they paid attention they wouldn't have had false expectations.

False expectations or not, nothing could have prepared them for the announcement of a mobile game. And there was literally nothing in that statement that suggested that it was going to be a mobile game. There's probably a reason for that...

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I don't buy it. If it was "pulled at the last minute" they could have easily seen how the Immortal announcement was crashing and burning and shuffled someone out and said "But of course we're also working on Diablo 4, yadda yadda yadda." I don't think they had any intention of announcing a Diablo 4 and instead had spent too much time drinking their own Kool-Aid thinking they could announce anything and get people excited. 

2 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I don't buy it. If it was "pulled at the last minute" they could have easily seen how the Immortal announcement was crashing and burning and shuffled someone out and said "But of course we're also working on Diablo 4, yadda yadda yadda." I don't think they had any intention of announcing a Diablo 4 and instead had spent too much time drinking their own Kool-Aid thinking they could announce anything and get people excited. 

Agreed, even the simplest trailer announcing Diablo 4 would have sufficed.  Bethesda did the same with TESVI and was met with a very good reception (in addition to announcing their mobile iteration of TES).  I'm surprised this was the decision Blizzard made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nublood said:

And the head scratchingly bad decisions continue. At least that would have diffused a lot of the anger and frustration toward Blizzard. And more people might have actually played the game knowing that a proper sequel was coming. But now, a lot of casuals and most hardcore Diablo fans will purposely ignore this game in protest.

Every person in that crowd knows Diablo 4 is in development. 

Just now, Mercury33 said:

No you’re not. But gamers are, as a whole, horrible people. So it’s not much of a surprise. 

It's getting worse. We've raised a terrible generation of human beings. Impatient, whining, spoiled man-children that I'm shocked can even function in everyday life. We went from being stereotypical geeks in the 80's and 90's to being stereotypical brats in the 2000's.

I actually kinda wish Blizzard had the balls to tell them all to shut the fuck up, they're embarrassing themselves. But then you know that would only result in them crying more and doxxing and downvoting and all the typical shit the man-babies do when they don't get their way.

• Thanks 1

I’m always blown away by the fact that a lot of stereotypical gamers are the people who, let’s say, didn’t have the best time in high school. Yet when you observe them as adults it’s like instead of taking that and going “I’ll make sure no one feels like i did” they go “just wait till I’m in a position to take it all out on others. If I had to feel horrible I’m gonna make others feel horrible too”.  

Domino’s is making fun of the Diablo Immortal reveal to sell pizza

A Facebook post by Domino’s Pizza Malaysia contains an image that, at the top, reads, “This is not an out-of-season April Fool’s joke.” This is a reference to the moment during the Q&A session for the Diablo Immortal reveal when one member of the audience asked, “Is this an out-of-season April Fool’s joke?”

• Haha 1

https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/22753282/patch-264-ptr-preview-11-19-2018

AHAHAHAHA THE FUCKING DAMAGE JUMPS LMFAO.  AND FREE RROG?  OKAY

Seasons

Season 16: Season of Grandeur
        The buff for Season of Grandeur has been implemented
            This buff gives all Seasonal players the legendary power from Ring of Royal Grandeur
            This buff does not stack with additional Ring of Royal Grandeur (either equipped or in Kanai's Cube)
            Unlike previous Seasonal buffs, this buff will not apply to Non-Seasonal players
        When completing a Greater Rift level 70 solo for the first time in a Season, a Primal Legendary is guaranteed to drop from the Rift Guardian

Class Set Changes

Philosophy
        We are taking another tuning pass across all class sets to improve class and set diversity at higher level Greater Rifts. Please note that these values are not final and we anticipate some adjustments to occur during the course of PTR.
    All Classes
        Legacy of Nightmares
            The (2) Set bonus has been increased from 100% to 500%
    Barbarian
        The Legacy of Raekor
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 2800% to 7000%
        Immortal King's Call
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 1500% to 4000%
        Might of the Earth
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 5600% to 20000%
        Wrath of the Wastes
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 3000% to 10000%
    Crusader
        Thorns of the Invoker
            The (2) Set bonus has been increased from 140% to 350%
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 5400% to 15000%
        Roland's Legacy
            The (4) Set bonus has been increased from 3300% to 13000%
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 50% increased Attack Speed to 75%
        Seeker of the Light
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 2000% Blessed Hammer damage to 12000%
    Demon Hunter
        Embodiment of the Maruader
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 3000% to 12000%
        Unhallowed Essence
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 100% to 350%
        Natalya's Vengeance
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 3500% to 14000%
        The Shadow's Mantle
            The (2) Set bonus has been increased from 1200% to 6000%
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 50000% to 75000%
    Monk
        Uliana's Strategem
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 2100% to 9000%
        Inna's Mantra
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 150% to 1500%
        Monkey King's Garb
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 1000% to 1500%
        Raiment of a Thousand Storms
            The (2) Set bonus has been increased from 100% to 400%
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 13000% Dashing Strike damage to 60000%
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 1300% Spirit Generator damage to 6000%
    Necromancer
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 3300% to 3800%
    Witch Doctor
        Spirit of Arachyr
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 4500% to 9000%
        Helltooth Harness
            The (2) Set bonus has been increased from 1500% to 3000%
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 4400% to 9000%
        Raiment of the Jade Harvester
            The (2) Set bonus has been increased from 560 seconds to 3500 seconds
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 1650 seconds to 10000 seconds
        Zunimassa's Haunt
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 5500% to 15000%
    Wizard
        Tal Rasha's Elements
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 750% to 3000%
        Delsere's Magnum Opus
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 3800% to 8500%
        Vyr's Amazing Arcana
            The (6) Set bonus has been increased from 50% bonus damage to 100%

1 hour ago, Pikachu said:

Cool, thanks for posting. Sounds like D4 is going back to the dark and gritty theme of DII, which is nice. I don't mind microtransactions for loot boxes if they are only for cosmetic stuff or things your character will say, etc. I also think that having a Diablo-equivalent of Destiny's Strikes would be cool, especially if towns/cities in D4 can have a few dozen players in them at a time.