The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, elbobo said:

are we going to ignore the fact that the women this supposedly happened to says she doesn't recall the incident? 

The woman says she doesn't recall it but there are multiple other people saying it happened. Which makes it seem like it happened and she was too drunk to remember it.

Considering that Kavanaugh is on the court by dint of an underhanded political maneuver, I would actually consider impeaching him as an underhanded way to get him off the court and replace him with a Dem-picked nominee less of a breach of political conduct and more an instance of fair play.

But it’d probably make it so that every future court nominee was impeached by the party out of power regardless of whether there were grounds to or not, which I wouldn’t approve of, so...oh well, the Republic’s clearly falling apart anyway...

1 minute ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Considering that Kavanaugh is on the court by dint of an underhanded political maneuver, I would actually consider impeaching him as an underhanded way to get him off the court and replace him with a Dem-picked nominee less of a breach of political conduct and more an instance of fair play.

But it’d probably make it so that every future court nominee was impeached by the party out of power regardless of whether there were grounds to or not, which I wouldn’t approve of, so...oh well, the Republic’s clearly falling apart anyway...

It's cute that you think the Democrats trying to impeach Kavanaugh is what would give future Republicans with control of both houses the green light to impeach any liberal Justice they don't like. When Barron is president, we'll see how that winds up holding up.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's cute that you think the Democrats trying to impeach Kavanaugh is what would give future Republicans with control of both houses the green light to impeach any liberal Justice they don't like. When Barron is president, we'll see how that winds up holding up.

This. If Republicans had a sliver of a chance, some minor thing they think could stick, they'd do the same to RBG or Sotomayor or whomever. And then they'd bully half of the democratic establishment into giving airtime and oxygen to a bullshit story, and get some of them on board to impeach.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What underhanded political maneuver?

Not honoring the precedent of allowing a vote on a Supreme Court nominee.

Not technically illegal, but definitely underhanded.

In politics, you can't expect to break norms to attain an advantage of some kind and then expect others not to the same in response.  Maybe the world would be better if politics--and democracies in particular--weren't so tit-for-tat and escalation-prone that way, but they are.

As I said, (maybe not clearly enough) if indeed the Dems pull off the feat off winning in 2020, impeaching Kavanaugh, and then replacing him with a Dem pick, I would view it as the natural consequence of this kind of political escalation--and as much the Repubs' fault as the Dems.  But also, in the long-run, I think it wouild be very bad overall for US political culture, and both political parties.