The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

This clown doesn't deserve to be a SCOTUS judge. 

How come the other judges don't get a vote on who they'll be working with? Or do they? 

BrickTamland.thumb.jpeg.cd97a520afbdc230

Edit:  Sorry, I had to.  I read your comment in the voice of Brick.  

Anyways.  No.  There is no mechanism for the other justices to remove another justice.  The only thing they could do I suppose is guilt him into resigning. 

Jon Levett's podcast title this week sums up Collins pretty well; Bros before Roe.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh for fuck's sake, Democrats didn't lose... what was there to win? This country really is what we are showing ourselves to be. Accept it and move on. Not like we haven't seen this before. Clarence Thomas anyone?

I hate how the media narrative seems to be leaning towards it being a mistake that the Dems even opened this can of worms. 

I don't know if this is your sentiment, as well, but it's annoying as hell to see the idea that just because some of the Republican base got energized this was a mistake. It was a fight worth having, and everyone just seems to be forgetting that the Senate was always a long shot this year, anyway. The Right is gloating like it was a fucking toss up to begin with:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

BrickTamland.thumb.jpeg.cd97a520afbdc230

Edit:  Sorry, I had to.  I read your comment in the voice of Brick.  

Anyways.  No.  There is no mechanism for the other justices to remove another justice.  The only thing they could do I suppose is guilt him into resigning. 

Can't the Chief Justice forcibly recuse other Justices??? 

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Can't the Chief Justice forcibly recuse other Justices??? 

I don’t believe so, but I am not 100% on that. I remember reading an article by Roberts about recusal years ago that noted how the SCOTUS is so different from all other courts and he talked about there being no method of disqualification within the court itself. But this was many years ago so I don’t remember all the details.

Senate Republicans, not the White House, set the scope of the FBI probe into sexual assault allegations against Brett Kavanaugh, including the decision not to interview the Supreme Court nominee or accuser Christine Blasey Ford, said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

In an interview shortly before the Senate is set to vote on confirming Kavanaugh, McConnell said GOP members of the Judiciary Committee made the decision in a meeting with two other Republicans who were at the time withholding their support, Senator Susan Collins of Maine and Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-06/senate-republicans-set-kavanaugh-fbi-probe-scope-mcconnell-says

Collins: "It appears to be a very thorough investigation"

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/kavanaugh-fbi-investigation-oct-18/h_e6e8aecdb3545f0da41810ca55dbdb95

:guillotine:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/06/women-arent-a-monolith-and-the-white-women-supporting-kavanaugh-prove-it

So many were shocked earlier this week when a poll found that while minority voters overwhelmingly believe Ford over Kavanaugh, a breakdown of the data by gender revealed white women were nearly as likely to believe Kavanaugh as Ford.

--

“White women are not by any means a monolithic voting bloc,” Kohler told the Guardian. Rather, they’re profoundly influenced by education, religion and especially marital status.

The women’s movement is, among other things, a study in all the ways women are divided from one another. Early suffragist movements were tainted by racism, and when women finally did get the right to vote, they couldn’t agree on candidates or causes to support.

The Equal Rights Amendment, when it was introduced in the 1920s, devolved into a war between working and middle class women and went nowhere. Reintroduced in the 1970s, it was defeated by a group of deeply-conservative housewives led by Phyllis Schlafly.

--

And while African Americans voters supported Barack Obama with near unanimity, the so-called “women’s vote” never materialized behind Hillary Clinton. Instead, Trump won white women with 53% of the vote.

--

Stephanie Gutmann, a conservative writer and veteran journalist, told the Guardian on Friday that she was annoyed by liberal insistence that Ford’s treatment would drive women to the polls.

“What is this women thing? Why do you think we’re so monolithic? We’re not so monolithic at all. In the media we’re portrayed as being very single-issue, just voting on reproductive rights. I think there may be a movement of women to the polls, but it’s going to be on both sides,” she said.

--

Clinton was pilloried for saying on the campaign trail that she came across women “under tremendous pressure from fathers and husbands and boyfriends and male employers not to vote for ‘the girl’”.

But plenty of social science backs her up.

There’s a study from the Institute for Social and Economic Research which found that wives in general vote in ways that support their husband’s economic interests. As well as the research showing that white women are particularly likely to do so – after all, the white men they typically marry still earn more than any other demographic.

Clinton’s comment about white women voting their husband’s interest has (ungenerously) been interpreted as meaning white women can’t think for themselves, but Kohler pushed back on that notion, as Clinton herself did at the time. “I don’t think it’s a matter of women not thinking for themselves. It’s about the way that larger structural inequalities are driven through institutions like marriage,” Kohler said.

13 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Jon Levett's podcast title this week sums up Collins pretty well; Bros before Roe.

I hate how the media narrative seems to be leaning towards it being a mistake that the Dems even opened this can of worms. 

I don't know if this is your sentiment, as well, but it's annoying as hell to see the idea that just because some of the Republican base got energized this was a mistake. It was a fight worth having, and everyone just seems to be forgetting that the Senate was always a long shot this year, anyway. The Right is gloating like it was a fucking toss up to begin with:rolleyes:

No that's not my sentiment... I agree the Dems had to bring fight this fight.

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Didn't white women overwhelmingly support Roy Moore as well?

I don't know by what percentage they voted. More voted for Moore, but overwhelmingly, I dunno. The gender gap also has racial and economic components that have been there for a long time. From the article:

“The frustration of white women voting for Donald Trump by a majority and for Roy Moore in Alabama by a majority – that’s not new and that’s not a recent problem,” said Kretschmer. “I think the interesting thing is they’re actually voting a bit less that way in the current political context.”

Kohler put it in stronger terms. “As a progressive white feminist, I look at these numbers and I feel overall depressed about what’s going on with with women,” she said of an effectual wash between Ford and Kavanaugh, “but I do think we’re starting to see a shift that could be a more permanent alignment.”

This was a battle worth having, regardless as to its political implications this November (and it could be helpful in further mobilizing an excited base that's been protesting/organizing/voting non-stop since the beginning of 2017). The culture needs to change, and little by little, the old guard defending people like Kavanaugh is being chipped away. It's going to be an effort, not an overnight thing as many liberals think things can/should be changed.

6 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/06/women-arent-a-monolith-and-the-white-women-supporting-kavanaugh-prove-it

So many were shocked earlier this week when a poll found that while minority voters overwhelmingly believe Ford over Kavanaugh, a breakdown of the data by gender revealed white women were nearly as likely to believe Kavanaugh as Ford.

Pq3rKIgl.jpg

12 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

Mitch is basically Tywin

That's giving turtle way too much credit, IMO. :p 

The GOP senate is like 90% Reek.

Edit: The remaining 10% is a combination of White Walker and wight, btw. Though, in the case of Trump replace Reek with Crastor. :pratt: