The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

Just now, thewhyteboar said:

The point is the Senate is ass. 

The Senate shouldn't be elected by the people anyways.  It should be appointed by the state legislatures.  And in the event a legislature is deadlocked or otherwise unable to fill an open seat, then the Governor should be able to appoint an interim Senator.  We don't need to two house of the people.  We need one for the people (the House) and one for the state governments (Senate).

• Like 1

It sucks, but liberals need to organize on this.

Make them pay for every horrible,  conservative opinion that comes out of this court.

Trump was the wake up call liberals needed for things like off year elections. In a way, a few notable victories like Obergefell allowed us to be complacent to the vast majority of cases where Kennedy sided with the conservatives that effect us all, but often in indirect ways that aren't easy to see in our every day lives.

The Kavanaugh court needs to be the same kind of wake up call that Trump's election was, but for the importance of the court and voting for Dems, no matter what. If you find yourself sometimes not getting excited about the lesser of too evils, get excited real fucking quick. Because the next seat is probably Ruth's.

I talked to a senior Manchin staffer last night that told me Collins was undecided last night and that Manchin told her they would vote yes together.  Manchin is worried about re-election.  Collins is not likely to seek re-election in 2020

From a good friend who does a lot of work with Senate dems on judicial noms. Thought it was interesting.

11 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Do people not understand how our government is structured?  Is this a mind blowing revelation to some?  

More like they understand it and are pointing out how flawed and outdated the system is.

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

More like they understand it and are pointing out how flawed and outdated the system is.

The only people who really understand it are the 4 million people in DC and PR.  To everyone else, it's a factoid that is rediscovered during election time and then quickly forgotten about.  

Edit: I will say I support PR statehood, but do not support DC becoming a state.  They should either remain a federal district, or be absorbed back into maryland with a corresponding increase in representatation in the house.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The only people who really understand it are the 4 million people in DC and PR.  To everyone else, it's a factoid that is rediscovered during election time and then quickly forgotten about.  

There are an other 5m or so Puerto Ricans living states-side, so I'm pretty sure that number doesn't cover half the people that care about that factoid.

I regret that I won't have the opportunity to see Pence literally blow a massive load from the Senate President's chair as he casts the tie-breaking vote.

He would shoot a rope the likes of which the world has never seen before.

A rope so mighty that it would drill a hole right through McConnell

• Haha 1

My prediction for Kavanaugh’s time on the court: like Thomas before him, he will go further right of his time on the circuit bench. He had to craft his resumè and now can let his freak flag fly.