The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

And there's no way that liberals ever beat conservatives in violence in internal struggles. The only people on the left who have ever had success at this are the communists, and the US doesn't have a strong base of that. So I guess even violence won't save the US. 

The real longterm solution for this is to convince people Trump is so vile and unacceptable that the GOP should not be entrusted with the reigns of power for a long time.

The problem here is that the GOP has been better at long term planning, and thanks to some luck, they have been able to make moves that set the table for undemocratically entrenching theor power.

While winning the House(and maybe the Senate) in '18 is a start, and the presidency in '20 would be good, it's not enough if the GOP just takes back Congress in '22.

The GOP has become too good at  Constitutional hardball, and their base has proven that they have little problem with being lying, shameless, and just generally without values in pursuit of power.

That's why I have no doubt packing the courts would backfire on us. The Democratic base would likely punish the party for such a craven move while the GOP base would celebrate and reward it.

A little factoid has occurred to me a lot over the past 2 years that disturbs me. Ronald Reagan was elected in a landslide only four years after Nixon's second term ended. Democrats need to learn from that and not just turn it into wins in the next two years, but also going forward.

They need to make the larger case of why the GOP isn't just the part against women, gays, and minorities now....but that will be the case for the next decade or more. They need to start labeling these people Trump Republicans so that they can use that term derisively on them for years to come, long after Trump has stumbled off the political stage.

8 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

The real longterm solution for this is to convince people Trump is so vile and unacceptable that the GOP should not be entrusted with the reigns of power for a long time.

The problem here is that the GOP has been better at long term planning, and thanks to some luck, they have been able to make moves that set the table for undemocratically entrenching theor power.

While winning the House(and maybe the Senate) in '18 is a start, and the presidency in '20 would be good, it's not enough if the GOP just takes back Congress in '22.

The GOP has become too good at  Constitutional hardball, and their base has proven that they have little problem with being lying, shameless, and just generally without values in pursuit of power.

That's why I have no doubt packing the courts would backfire on us. The Democratic base would likely punish the party for such a craven move while the GOP base would celebrate and reward it.

A little factoid has occurred to me a lot over the past 2 years that disturbs me. Ronald Reagan was elected in a landslide only four years after Nixon's second term ended. Democrats need to learn from that and not just turn it into wins in the next two years, but also going forward.

They need to make the larger case of why the GOP isn't just the part against women, gays, and minorities now....but that will be the case for the next decade or more. They need to start labeling these people Trump Republicans so that they can use that term derisively on them for years to come, long after Trump has stumbled off the political stage.

But as you said, people will simply forget in 4 years. So what is the point? If one side is willing to devalue the law and the other is not, then the first side will always win.

Can you think of a single example in history of a country pulling itself back from this sort of path using only peaceful, democratic means? 

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

How many Senators do you need to impeach a SCOTUS judge? 2/3?

Impeachment happens in the house, pretty sure just 50%+1 vote. Trial happens in the Senate and you need 2/3rds.

6 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Why is it that, even with the prospect of a new and better job which I start training for in November, I feel less and less hopeful every day? I didn't even think that was possible.

Because the GOP has turned into a circus and they currently have control. The results of this midterm is kind of the deciding factor for whether to be hopeful or not.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, legend said:

Because the GOP has turned into a circus and they currently have control. The results of this midterm is kind of the deciding factor for whether to be hopeful or not.

lbr tho, even if the democrats somehow take the house AND the senate in the midterms, that's just delaying the inevitable... i don't see any possible scenario where the republicans don't eventually regain control and make things even worse. 

Just now, SilentWorld said:

lbr tho, even if the democrats somehow take the house AND the senate in the midterms, that's just delaying the inevitable... i don't see any possible scenario where the republicans don't eventually regain control and make things even worse. 

I see plenty of scenarios, but I'm hesitant to say they're likely :p But I wasn't trying to say "if we win this, then we're good." Just that "if we win this, there is hope." That is, winning is consistent with getting out of this mess and until the midterms we should expect terrible outcomes simply because the GOP is in control.