The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Instead his legacy will be looking at Trump and thinking, "Yup, this is the guy I want picking my replacement."

Did you read my post in your other thread that kind of predicted this a couple days ago?

The most worrying thing about all this punting is that I've heard arguments for and against why it hints at Kennedy retiring. And I find the "yes, he's retiring" argument to be more convincing.

Kennedy's recent nod towards overturning Chevron deference could be seen as indicating he is looking at being on the court to do so. But I also see it as indicating Gorsuch has been in his ear and, despite all Trump's flaws, Kennedy would still trust Trump to nominate his replacement then a Democrat. After all, Trump didn't do such a bad job with his buddy Gorsuch, amirite?

I think the narrative of Kennedy as the swing vote, while accurate up to a point, gave a false impression of exactly where the guy sits on the spectrum. He always preferred a Republican to replace him over a Democrat, and when Trump appointed his buddy Gorsuch it likely calmed any worry Kennedy had of Trump choosing someone unacceptable. Getting a replacement on the court is more of an art than a science, anyway. The president can't check every issue off a list when picking a nominee, and Kennedy has even less control over who his replacement is. For every Roe or Obergefell that Kennedy might have to worry about, he is also worried about just as many, if not more, conservative opinions he signed on to that might be overturned if he waits for a Democratic successor to Trump to replace him.

19 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

That is simply an impossibility in the political climate of 2018.

@Massdriver - the world -- not just the United States -- has moved on.  It really, honestly has and the sooner people accept that reality and learn to "deal" with it, the better.

This kind of connects to what I was saying above.

I was going to reply half jokingly to Mass's wish for a balanced court by saying they're all balanced courts.....after the dust settles. The idea that we had a "balanced" court was an illusion molded by what the court would allow. I am not sure of the statistics, but I read that this recent session out of 13 5-4 decisions Kennedy voted with the conservatives 13 times. 

Obviously he wasn't always that one-sided, but the few Kennedy defections were such big deals that they generally overshadowed the fact that he sided with the conservatives far more often than he did the liberals. If this court was "balanced" than the court after Kennedy will be "balanced". The center(likely Roberts) will just shift a good deal to the Right.

5 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I think it’s quite possible Trump’s new nominee will be a crazed goon. It’s not like the GOP will oppose him either way.

I know it’s been this way for a while, but I recently had a realization that Donald Trump, on most issues, is in a no-lose situation.

If he does something that people like, well, the ramifications of that are pretty obvious. 

If he does something that people don’t like, it excites Republicans and his base more than if he did something they liked in the first place.

He literally can do anything, and nothing matters.

4 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Democrats could do nothing and Republicans would call them obstructionists

They will do nothing and the GOP will call them obstructionists.

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

I know it’s been this way for a while, but I recently had a realization that Donald Trump, on most issues, is in a no-lose situation.

If he does something that people like, well, the ramifications of that are pretty obvious. 

If he does something that people don’t like, it excites Republicans and his base more than if he did something they liked in the first place.

Quit writing 2020 slogans for Trump's campaign.

28 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It's not if I say so; it just is. I'm just glad this board wasn't in charge of being the opposition in the past year, because I'm pretty sure everybody who voted in Alabama, everybody who protested after Parkland, and everybody who protested in the reddest of districts during the health care debates last year were told the same thing. "Good luck with that."

Damn right, and our Republican Senate candidate, Rick Scott.

Look, I know you like to pat yourself on the back over the Alabama thing, but a fairly conservative Democrat just barely eeked out a victory over a credibly accused child molester there. And his term will end in 2020, when he'll likely face a much better Republican candidate. 

I vote. I call my senators. But I'm also well-aware of the fact that Tom Cotton isn't up for re-election anytime soon and his head is sitting comfortably up Trump's ass. 

The reality is, we're about to have a really, really conservative court for the next several decades and a lot of progress is going to get reversed. No Blue Wave in November is gonna change that right now.

6 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

"If it triggers the libs that the president just grabbed me by my pussy then that's good enough for me!"

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Look, I know you like to pat yourself on the back over the Alabama thing, but a fairly conservative Democrat just barely eeked out a victory over a credibly accused child molester there. And his term will end in 2020, when he'll likely face a much better Republican candidate. 

I vote. I call my senators. But I'm also well-aware of the fact that Tom Cotton isn't up for re-election anytime soon and his head is sitting comfortably up Trump's ass. 

The reality is, we're about to have a really, really conservative court for the next several decades and a lot of progress is going to get reversed. No Blue Wave in November is gonna change that right now.

Yes, I do like that I knew how to read polls instead of being defeatist and spend large amounts of time sulking on the boards and making bad predictions to nab a few upvotes as others did, not to mention the ones telling me how close 2012 was going to be. :p And I'm considering bringing it up twice as much as I was seriously bringing it up now to tell you that people gave the same silly, defeatist talk you're giving, and that is what is actually useless; they were told the same, health care protesters were told the same, gun control protesters were told the same. Activists don't just resign themselves to what will "probably" happen, and if it happens, then at least they tried to fight against it. They fortunately don't take cues from this board.

To the last part, that's kind of a no shit. I mentioned that to you from the get-go. Yet a blue wave has ramifications for future judicial nominations, redistricting and state-wide progressive initiatives and laws, so this doesn't change the calculus and what progressives should be doing this year.

And I never said Democrats should just sit back and wallow in sorrow, so I don't know why you're jumping on my case so hard. I'm doing my part by voting and donating to candidates. 

About the gun control issue, though, what have the protests really done? What major legislation has been enacted in regards to gun control?

21 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

And I never said Democrats should just sit back and wallow in sorrow, so I don't know why you're jumping on my case so hard. I'm doing my part by voting and donating to candidates. 

About the gun control issue, though, what have the protests really done? What major legislation has been enacted in regards to gun control?

Getting an NRA sellout like Scott to actually sign legislation, growing the gun control organizations which continue to become more organized, better funded, and more eager to take on the NRA, and making it one of the biggest issues in many big elections in Florida.

That's the kind of defeatist attitude I'm talking about. The energy here is palpable. Parkland students are touring the state at the moment, and Democratic candidates are seeking endowments from gun control activists. I'm not sure people remember how little this was the case 10 years ago. 

39 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, that's what I was planning on doing.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I feel like he'll pick someone more like Judge Jeanine over a Milo Danonyogurtcup

:p 

:cry: 

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Judge Eric

Trump doesn't have to pick someone flashy, entertaining, or weird for SCOTUS.

He'll take the Federalist Society's recommendation and nominate someone presentable, qualified, and absolutely horrifying.

It's like picking Pence. Don't let the game show fool you. When it comes to the big decisions Trump knows where his bread is buttered.

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

I'll still vote.  It's just that I have no reason anymore to feel hopeful about pretty much anything for the next 2-3 decades.

Even better: you just know that should any climate change laws be passed in that time frame, they're going to be fine unconstitutional as well. So you will never be happy again.